TP: League sources dish on ZW, Jet coaching moves at Shrine Bowl

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nah Becton is a wasted draft pick fat slob who will never amount to anything - or at least that's what i've been told ad nauseum here. 

I'm still rooting for the guy.  Would be great to be surprised by him, wouldn't it?  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Who are these "insiders" other than Tony Pauline?  If a deal is in place for Rodgers, a real possibility, then Hackett will do.  If we are not starting Rodgers, Carr or even Garoppolo, the entire front office will be gone 1 year from now anyway.  So, IMO, somethings up, in the works or even ready... just waiting for the appropriate NFL time to announce.

TBH if AR comes here does it matter who the OC is , Rodgers with  his mammoth ego becomes the defacto OC.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

All this smoke there is definitely fire, Guys trust me on this: like the great @Mogglez said earlier this week: “start looking at HC and GM options for 2024” 

the writing is on the wall 

I agree, sadly

Saleh is driving the bus off a cliff

All gas, no brake

Rodgers would at least make things interesting in ‘23

Thelma And Louise Remix GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

We heard Woody is not a fan of Zach, I guess that could mean he doesn't want to give up on him still given the investment. The bits about Hackett and Carter are concerning.

Jimmy G still feels like the most likely

At least they’ll have the prettiest QB room.?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Didn’t we just let our OC go because his demeanor rubbed the Zach and the WRs the wrong way?

not exactly, no.  But MLF does have some serious communication issues, i.e. criticizing players behind their back without talking to them first.  It's not that he "rubbed them the wrong way".  He was non communicative. Ugh.  Impossible to be any kind of competent leader without basic comm skills.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Didn’t we just let our OC go because his demeanor rubbed the Zach and the WRs the wrong way?

Actually it sounds like MLF was the antithesis of an in your face guy. He sounds like a kid who can't communicate and would hide behind a text or email to talk for him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Actually it sounds like MLF was the antithesis of an in your face guy. He sounds like a kid who can't communicate and would hide behind a text or email to talk for him. 

It has been said that the only time he allows players to visit him in his office is when he is not there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

League Sources Dish on Zach Wilson, Jets’ Coaching Moves, and More

January 28, 2023

At the Shrine Bowl in Las Vegas, league sources dished on the Jets' quarterback situation, their recent coaching moves, and more. 

LAS VEGAS — The long offseason for the New York Jets is underway after the team collapsed, losing seven of their final eight games to miss the playoffs. Here at Shrine Bowl practices, there has been plenty of news and opinions on the Jets’ recent moves and the state of the franchise.Will the Jets Move 

Even before arriving in Las Vegas for Shrine Bowl practice, Pro Football Network heard that players were urging Jets general manager Joe Douglas to move on from offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur and QB Zach Wilson during exit interviews at the end of the season before the Jets officially moved on from the offensive coordinator.

Several players were critical of LaFleur’s game planning and inability to make halftime adjustments. When it comes to Wilson, several players said the second pick of the 2021 NFL Draft is not the quarterback to lead the franchise moving forward — they feel the team should stick with Mike White or trade for a veteran.

Here in Vegas, league sources say that the Jets front office is ready to move on from Wilson and trade for a veteran, but owner Woody Johnson believes the former BYU quarterback can be salvaged. We’re told Johnson, whose been fully engaged in the Jets’ decision-making the past few weeks, believes Wilson is still an arm talent that should not be discarded.

MORE: Latest Draft Buzz on QBs from Shrine Bowl in Las Vegas

Sources here in Vegas also tell PFN the Jets have said in conversations they will make a move for one of three veterans: Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo, or, yes — Aaron Rodgers. It is interesting that Rodgers is the only quarterback of the three who does not have a no-trade clause in his contract, though the belief is there’s a gentlemen’s agreement he’ll have a say where he’ll be sent when the Packers trade him.

League insiders here in Vegas were not complimentary of the recent moves by the New York Jets, specifically the hiring of offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackettand offensive line coach Keith Carter. Some were extremely harsh on the hiring of Carter, and as one source told PFN on Saturday, it seems as if the Jets have a “death wish” with the hiring of both.

There is some good news, though. Jets offensive tackle Mehki Becton is training hard this offseason and tipping the scales under 370 pounds — about 40 pounds lighter than he was one year ago.

Becton has moved on from offensive line trainer Duke Mayweather and is training in New Jersey at the Parisi facility, which has helped his conditioning. With new coaches leading the Jets’ offense, the hope is Becton can get back to where he was as a rookie in 2020 when he had a terrific season at left tackle.

Two things disgust me:

1. What qualifications does Johnson have that he could think that Zach Wilson can be salvaged?  He is clueless, but more importantly, doesn't realize he is clueless, which is even more disturbing.

2. The fact that Becton checked in at 410 pounds last year, tells me many things.  #1 It tells me that Becton does not take his professional career seriously. #2 Tells me that Becton, with his trainer, had no clue about what he needed to do to get in shape for the season last year.  #3  Becton can't control himself, and was eating his way out of the NFL.  #4. The fact that he had season ending injury last year had something to do with being 410 pounds coming into camp.  #5.  He didn't want to come in early last year due to his wife being pregnant.  Seems like he really didn't want to come in early because he was 410 pounds, or more before he came into camp.

So Becton is now 370 pounds.  Am I supposed to rejoice and say "Hallalluyah?"  No, I think I'll pass.  If the Jets could trade Becton for a 2nd round pick today, I think they should do it!!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Woodys not a fan. 

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to be snarky here, this is just a question. Do you speak regularly with someone very high up in the Jets FO?

It seems like when you post, you want people to think you have inside information. For example in this post you’re stating Wood’s feelings as if you heard them from him, or someone very close to him.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Agree...sounds like a bunch of BS. According to Schefter or Rap, 4 other team were interested in him. Henry had 2-3 monster years...he wasn't blocking for himself. 

You never know why coaches leave teams or get fired.  Could be he was taking the heat for tannehill being knocked out.  He probably was getting grief from barbel. Losing does that so he took a job with the jets.  I can imagine the whole chemistry thing being so important for a football team. Not just the players but the coaches too. Not to belabor the point but saleh didn’t bring back cavanaugh or replace him because he wanted a quiet room. Impossible to say what this means but it sounds like there was some dissension in the coaching ranks and it was probably around the offense.  Sounds like milfy was being criticized.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Rodgers without Zach Wilson as a backup would be even better.

Why? So ZW can be the next Darnold or Geno to move on and play well with another team?

Let him sit and learn the right way for a couple years and he might turn out to be a gem.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure how factual all this talk about Jets players on exit interviews trashed Lefleur and Zach. Maybe some there were moves by CS like deactivating two wide receivers that were unpopular with players. When a team loses their last 6 games there’s going to be discord. Zach had two really bad games and overall unable to consistently move the offense. Some aspects of his game improved esp involving turnovers. But can he improve and win back the starters job. Saleh basically laughed when asked that question and firmly said the team is going with a veteran. So if Zach not in Jets plans would they trade or release him. Maybe esp if they could get something for him. They’d save about 20 mil money they could use to pay Rodgers, Carr etc. As for White in his limited number of starts over two seasons he also had two really bad games. And his winning percentage this season way below Zach. He won 1 game 3 Ls and Zach won 5 out of 9. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/zach-wilson-72381/#:~:text=Zach Wilson signed a 4,average annual salary of %248%2C787%2C670.

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to be snarky here, this is just a question. Do you speak regularly with someone very high up in the Jets FO?

It seems like when you post, you want people to think you have inside information. For example in this post you’re stating Wood’s feelings as if you heard them from him, or someone very close to him.

The easiest way for you to get people to believe your nonsense is just blame the owner.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I literally could not think of a less legitimate "insider" than Tony the Wiz. He has no sources and just throw sh*t at the wall year after year. This is why he is a second rate NFL talking head. Maybe the guys who write for fansided and say they write for SI like Dov whatever his name is.

I’ve always found Pauline to be an interesting source because his information comes from area scouts. The problem is that area scouts are ten miles removed from the decision making apparatus of an NFL team. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Oh the irony of you laughing at people’s sources.

I used to do some work with Pauline on draft related stuff, he has connections. He’s not right about everything he reports, but no one is except for maybe Schefter.

I’m mocking his laziness reflected in his work (and the status of his basement)

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

It was more than that, Lafleur  was here for his own value, just to get his first HC job, didn’t try to develop anyone, didn’t try to teach, though at 33 maybe he just didn’t have the experience to teach, if his brother was a sanitation worker instead of a successful Coach, he’d be coaching TEs or something at San Diego State or somewhere similar,