Schefter: Packers prefer to move on from Rodgers

Rhg1084

9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i have a sneaking suspicion that this trade happens monday, like the Stafford trade did the day after championship games. if not monday def soon. There is too much hanging in the air with Carr, Packers direction as a franchise, etc... this isn't going into March.

It depends on Rodgers.  There may be no trade at all because he could always just retire.  Either way he has repeatedly said that he has to think about what he wants to do and is in no rush to do so.

The only way it could happen relatively soon is if GB literally kicks him out and forces him to make a decision.  I don’t know why they’d do that, unless they think waiting would affect trade value.

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think this is the first time I've seen Schefter/Rap say "Packers prefer to move on from Rodgers" - that piece is certainly new, we had only heard that from smaller writers. 

Which continues to paint them into a corner in negotiations.

From a lot of what I'm reading the cap hit is more manageable than I initially believed and the last couple years may be voidable. If thats the case along with GB being open to more reasonable compensation we could be in business.

2023 2nd 2024 conditional 2nd that turns into a 3rd if he retires.

I still think anyone who wants to trade 2 firsts for a 40 year old QB on a rental has lost the script.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Hackett knows if he fails here, his career is probably set back years coming off the Denver disaster...why would he take the job not knowing what he is getting into. Can't forget that Hackett had a multi-year deal with Denver which will be impacted with his comeback i am sure.

I think that is an interesting nugget. I think it could 100% be seen through this lens.

The troubling portion comes in when you learn NFL coaches are required to accept a similar position to offset their previous contract. Think of it almost like Unemployment, you lose your benefits if you decline work (sort of)

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/01/19/business-of-football-end-of-season-coaches-fired

Screenshot_20230129_110749_Chrome.jpg

Meaning Hackett could have taken the job because he was kinda required to. Not saying that was the ultimate reason, buts it's something to consider.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Which continues to paint them into a corner in negotiations.

From a lot of what I'm reading the cap hit is more manageable than I initially believed and the last couple years may be voidable. If thats the case along with GB being open to more reasonable compensation we could be in business.

2023 2nd 2024 conditional 2nd that turns into a 3rd if he retires.

I still think anyone who wants to trade 2 firsts for a 40 year old QB on a rental has lost the script.

I agree, I think a 2nd and a conditional 3rd that becomes a 2nd with playoffs and a 1st with SB gets it done. Rodgers contracts is basically 15m, 32m, then a $60m dead cap hit in 2025.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think that is an interesting nugget. I think it could 100% be seen through this lens.

The troubling portion comes in when you learn NFL coaches are required to accept a similar position for offset their previous contract. Think of it almost like Unemployment, you lose your benefits if you decline work (sort of)

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/01/19/business-of-football-end-of-season-coaches-fired

Doubt this is enforceable.  The team would probably have to sue.

Does it apply to GMs too?

For all we know, Macc has been on a beach in Belize since he was canned.  You think Woody got away with refusing to honor the rest of his contract?

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The troubling portion comes in when you learn NFL coaches are required to accept a similar position for offset their previous contract. Think of it almost like Unemployment, you lose your benefits if you decline work (sort of)

Is OC a similar coaching position to HC? 

Hoping A-A-Ron forces this during SB weekend so the news cycle is about him, not the teams in the championship. A page right out of Brady’s playbook… if we get Rodgers we’d better hope he’s got all the same narcissistic fuel that hit him to this point, or it’ll be a flop.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Doubt this is enforceable.  The team would probably have to sue.

Does it apply to GMS too?

For all we know, Macc has been on a beach in Belize since he was canned.  You think Woody got away with refusing to honor the rest of his contract?

Yea i agree, not overly likely to be enforced but I also don't think anyone wanted to hire Macc. It's been pretty heavily speculated that the Jets OC job may be a lame duck year with Hackett leading the way in interviews. Just saying if he declined that position it would be far more public.

24 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

BTW i think Conor Hughes went down the sh*tter as a beat writer this season....but he tweeted something that made sense to me.

Hackett knows if he fails here, his career is probably set back years coming off the Denver disaster...why would he take the job not knowing what he is getting into. Can't forget that Hackett had a multi-year deal with Denver which will be impacted with his comeback i am sure.

The only impact going to the Jets will have on him is his OC salary will be deducted from the money Denver owes him.

To paraphrase what Gase said, “he’s rich as f**k”, he can do whatever he wants.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I guess I consider Schefter carring more weight when he says it. The speculation has been a Rodgers trade for 3 offseasons now.

Lol that’s the other thing, the old thing about once you start thinking about retiring you already are

Revis didn’t have half the juice Rodgers has and he led the jets around by their noses lol

If the jets get him, this time next year we’ll be reading about how he likes warm weather and low taxes 

?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Lol that’s the other thing, the old thing about once you start thinking about retiring you already are

how will it feel if we get him to have a star so big he gets to do what he wants and wants input on the roster , all of it. Revis didn’t have half the juice Rodgers has and he led the jets around by their noses lol

If the jets get him, this time next year we’ll be reading about how he likes warm weather and low taxes 

?

I think the speculation of him being traded started when they drafted Love. Even though he has said the word "retirement", I believe that is so he can have some leverage over the team to play GM. The contract he signed last off season guarantees him $100m over these next 2 years, I don't think he's walking away from that (like the article says). 

Rodgers has made $306m in his career, I don't see him passing on $109m over 2 years.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

$60m dead cap hit in 2025.

And this is where im confused because sportrac shows a dead cap of $16+ in '25 and $8+ from '26 that accelerates  so around $25 mil total hot in '25

From what I gathered it was $60 if he played $25 if he didn't.

See below:

Screenshot_20230126-163735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4f1193623eaed44f446caaf0f11013d0.jpg

Any info or direction on why you believe its 60 mil hit in '25?

I’m not sure if Jets can acquire Rodgers how much of that $110 million they’d have to pay him. There is an option coming up but complicated. Not clear to me how much is 100% fully guaranteed. The trend in MLB recently has been to overpay annually with big number per year deals but with fewer years thus less money totally. As for compensation if Jets have overall 15 they’d probably be willing to give that up. Rodgers I feel still has the touch and plays at a high level. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

Is losing two 1st round picks Aaron might cost a bad thing? Losing those picks might be OK.

Unless the players we'd get with those picks are better than Becton, AVT, Sauce, Garrett, and Breece, cause we ain't keeping all of them, especially with 2 new mouths to feed!

Fans worry too much about draft picks

The Rams haven’t had a 1st round pick since 2016 and prior to this year, were regularly competing for championships during the McVay era, and winning one.

Rodgers is one year removed from back to back MVP campaigns and throwing for 85 TD’s vs 9 INT’s during that stretch.

Even if he’s 80% of what he was a year ago, he’d still be the best QB this team has ever had and would have us competing for Superbowls for the next 2 years.

Shoot your shot

I’ll worry about 2025 when it gets here.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

And this is where im confused because sportrac shows a dead cap of $16+ in '25 and $8+ from '26 that accelerates  so around $25 mil total hot in '25

From what I gathered it was $60 if he played $25 if he didn't.

See below:

Screenshot_20230126-163735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4f1193623eaed44f446caaf0f11013d0.jpg

Any info or direction on why you believe its 60 mil hit in '25?

He has a highly unique contract that converts his "other bonus" (that makes his cap hit look high for this year) but once his option is exercised that "other bonus" becomes a signing bonus lowering his cap hit in the current year and spending out the new signing bonus to future years, increasing the dead cap fro. What it currently looks like.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in contract language and this one is a complicated one to figure out

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Hoping A-A-Ron forces this during SB weekend so the news cycle is about him, not the teams in the championship. A page right out of Brady’s playbook… if we get Rodgers we’d better hope he’s got all the same narcissistic fuel that hit him to this point, or it’ll be a flop.

He'd want it no other way.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

He has a highly unique contract that converts his "other bonus" (that makes his cap hit look high for this year) but once his option is exercised that "other bonus" becomes a signing bonus lowering his cap hit in the current year and spending out the new signing bonus to future years, increasing the dead cap fro. What it currently looks like.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in contract language and this one is a complicated one to figure out

Thanks for the insight. 

I'm stuck negotiating contracts all day... trying to gain insight on this without the document im hand has been a pain.

• Upvote 1