*** OFFICIAL*** AFC Championship thread

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

on the surface level is there needs to be heroes and villain for drama to work - the Jets are an easy target

the Jets, besides coming from New Jersey the most made fun of state, are a low stakes target

The Jets are the only NFL team without even a county to call our own majority wise. Statistically speaking, there is no Jets home turf.    

but do you want my (stupid) conspiracy theory answer?

cause you're not going to like it 

It's the curse of Joe Willy.   

the league is still not over the Jets winning SB 3. 54 years ago and the crew cut types aren't over it. 

what I mean by this is that Joe WIlly's guarantee wasn't just a guess it was an informed opinion from his "goodfellas" that he'd eventually go into the bar business with...  the Colts were touched to not cover the 17 and things got out of hand 

that embarrassment to the league has been buried deep, like Goodell destroying Pats video tapes and other bad for business secrets. But the owners who were alive for that are still very powerful and hate Joe Willy and his mink coats and pantyhose ads 

fast forward decades later, he's groping Suzy Kolber on national TV

a part of my brain that I admit is not rational, doesn't expect Jets luck to changes until Joe Willy passes from this mortal coil.

and maybe not even then. The Jets are a heel and have been branded as such. teams like the Giants and Pats are Captain America, Sgt Slaughter

The Jets are the Iron Sheik

I don't know what exactly the league has against Paul Brown and the Bengals, but I'm sure it's something  

Bubba smith talked about the flea flicker where Morrall never looks at the wide open receiver that was the target of the play and the 3 red zone picks. Morrall may have thrown it and Namath found out from his bookie pals. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

on the surface level is there needs to be heroes and villain for drama to work - the Jets are an easy target

the Jets, besides coming from New Jersey the most made fun of state, are a low stakes target

The Jets are the only NFL team without even a county to call our own majority wise. Statistically speaking, there is no Jets home turf.    

but do you want my (stupid) conspiracy theory answer?

cause you're not going to like it 

It's the curse of Joe Willy.   

the league is still not over the Jets winning SB 3. 54 years ago and the crew cut types aren't over it. 

what I mean by this is that Joe WIlly's guarantee wasn't just a guess it was an informed opinion from his "goodfellas" that he'd eventually go into the bar business with...  the Colts were touched to not cover the 17 and things got out of hand 

that embarrassment to the league has been buried deep, like Goodell destroying Pats video tapes and other bad for business secrets. But the owners who were alive for that are still very powerful and hate Joe Willy and his mink coats and pantyhose ads 

fast forward decades later, he's groping Suzy Kolber on national TV

a part of my brain that I admit is not rational, doesn't expect Jets luck to changes until Joe Willy passes from this mortal coil.

and maybe not even then. The Jets are a heel and have been branded as such. teams like the Giants and Pats are Captain America, Sgt Slaughter

The Jets are the Iron Sheik

I don't know what exactly the league has against Paul Brown and the Bengals, but I'm sure it's something  

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. That game was the springboard that made everyone associated with the NFL billions. It elevated the AFL to equality. status and grew the game in multiples. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mahomes is cool.  Kelce is insufferable though.

Jim Nantz was very nervous what Kelce was about to say might violate CBS broadcast standards. Looked like they were all set to cut his mike at the first opportunity. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jets would never get that late hit call.

Not in a million years.

The more damaging play IMO was the punter outkicking his coverage.  Like the Jet punter said after the NE game, it should’ve been kicked out of bounds or near either sideline to pin in the returner.  But games like this usually turn on key mistakes abd this one did too.

31 minutes ago, hawk said:

The most blatant was an intentional grounding that stated no receiver in the vicinity, which at worst kills more time, but loss of down and penalty killed the drive.  

Horrible call, and no one would think twice if no flag 

That play was the definition of intentional grounding: QB about to be sacked, pass thrown into the ground not even making the line of scrimmage, no receiver anywhere near where the pass landed.

• Upvote 2

That play was the definition of intentional grounding: QB about to be sacked, pass thrown into the ground not even making the line of scrimmage, no receiver anywhere near where the pass landed.
RB was in the vacinity

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I was watching on my phone at work. What were the main complaints? I See a lot of people complaining about officiating. But I didn’t see a ton of bad calls. But I couldn’t give it 100% of my attention

There weren’t. Just a lot of people complaining because they bet on the Bengals. 

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. That game was the springboard that made everyone associated with the NFL billions. It elevated the AFL to equality. status and grew the game in multiples. 

i admit it's a far-fetched theory 

what's yours? that the Jets just make bad decisions and run a poor program? 

That very well could be the case 

when we see games like tonight 2 teams super evenly matched the league can't help but put their thumb on the scales 

the question is what will it take for the Jets to get the kind of calls the Chiefs got tonight? and all our team building mental exercises aside, I can't fathom how that ever happens 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

when we see games like tonight 2 teams super evenly matched the league can't help but put their thumb on the scales 

the question is what will it take for the Jets to get the kind of calls the Chiefs got tonight? and all our team building mental exercises aside, I can't fathom how that ever happens 

I don't see why the NFL would favor the Chiefs over the Bengals. The teams are similarly built and popular with good coaches and superstar QBs.  I didn't see it as the refs favoring KC such that it gave them the game.  Most of the bad calls meant nothing.  The horrible sequence came early in the 4th quarter with the do over 3rd down and the penalty negating the sack, but the Chiefs were stopped in the same place and punted.  The PI on MVS was ticky tack, but the Chiefs had to punt again, so no real advantage.   I thought the grounding call was right and the uncalled "block in the back" was weak if it even happened.  The personal foul that led to the winning FG was blatant and obvious and had to be called.  What else was there?  Cincy's weak OL hurt them all game and they couldn't run or protect Burrow.  The game was close because Mahomes was clearly limited by his ankle. He couldn't move in the pocket or put weight on his leg to drive his passes.  The biggest plays of the game was the taunting penalty on KC and Mahomes weird fumble late in the 3rd.  Without those two plays (back to back I think), KC takes a 10-14 point and  likely never looks back.  

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets will get calls when and if they keep winning and keep with the culture change.  The anti-Jets attitude from the NFL and the NFL media all started with Rex Ryan and his obnoxious act. Before then, the Jets were not hated or made fun of.  In fact, Namath made the Jets beloved and the 80s Jets were popular as well. So were the 98 Jets and the Edwards/Pennington teams.   It was not until Hard Knocks that the Jets became a hated franchise.  Until then, it would help if self loathing fans like Greeny disappeared or stopped the SOJ crap. Same with Benigno.  That woe is me faux angry crap is old and tired and a bad rep for the Jets and their fans.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

There was a flag on every other play. There was holding and a block in the back on KC that weren't called. A bullsh*t PI on Cincy. All huge calls/non calls. There were others too I just can't remember details. 

All true and Chris Jones was held on every play.  Overall it was a badly played game and the refs were horribly inconsistent.   They let them play a certain way and changed it up. They destroyed the flow of the game.   It was a close hard fought game but the lack of flow and momentum swings interjected by inconsistent refs absolutely killed the fell and quality of the game. 

A true sh*t show for a marquee NFL game.   I think the refs are bad and a lot of that is the lack of direction from the league.   It makes these games feel rigged.  It takes away from the flow and natural momentum.  I thought it was an awful game because of it.

and when is the league going to stop letting dead ball fouls decide games.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

All true and Chris Jones was held on every play.  Overall it was a badly played game and the refs were horribly inconsistent.   They let them play a certain way and changed it up. They destroyed the flow of the game.   It was a close hard fought game but the lack of flow and momentum swings interjected by inconsistent refs absolutely killed the fell and quality of the game. 

A true sh*t show for a marquee NFL game.   I think the refs are bad and a lot of that is the lack of direction from the league.   It makes these games feel rigged.  It takes away from the flow and natural momentum.  I thought it was an awful game because of it.

and when is the league going to stop letting dead ball fouls decide games.  

Would love to hear an NFL explanation of the do over 3rd down the Chiefs got. Totally bizarre, utterly incompetent. The Chiefs had their punt team on the field when that nonsense was called. Made no sense. Wound up not mattering but it could have. We don't know how it impacted what came after. 

NFL jumped in bed with gambling. You cannot have refs being this completely incompetent or people are gonna ask questions. Last night was an embarrassment. Ad if NFL security isn't dumping refs' phones and asking them hard questions, they're not doing their job. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

So you no what’s crazy. I always said that joe sold his soul for a Super Bowl and we won’t win another til he dies. Our theories are different but basically the same. Lol

joe Namath must die!! ? 

Deleted 

So you no what’s crazy. I always said that joe sold his soul for a Super Bowl and we won’t win another til he dies. Our theories are different but basically the same. Lol

joe Namath must die!! ? 

Uh

joe Namath must die!! ? 

Wtf

joe Namath must die!! ? 

Something broke

joe Namath must die!! ? 

american loop GIF

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not a big ****-the-refs guy, but woke up today thinking that was the worst football Sunday I’ve experienced in a long, long time. 

I'm no OL expert but I didn't see a hold on this play.   Maybe on #66?  But I think his right arm was up into the defender's chest.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Would love to hear an NFL explanation of the do over 3rd down the Chiefs got. Totally bizarre, utterly incompetent. The Chiefs had their punt team on the field when that nonsense was called. Made no sense. Wound up not mattering but it could have. We don't know how it impacted what came after. 

NFL jumped in bed with gambling. You cannot have refs being this completely incompetent or people are gonna ask questions. Last night was an embarrassment. Ad if NFL security isn't dumping refs' phones and asking them hard questions, they're not doing their job. 

At one point they showed the ref running on the field in the upper left corner waving the play dead before the snap because the clock was running when it shouldn’t have been. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

At one point they showed the ref running on the field in the upper left corner waving the play dead before the snap because the clock was running when it shouldn’t have been. 

I understand the Bengals being upset but I do think the ref was trying to alert the teams.  It looked legit to me. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I understand the Bengals being upset but I do think the ref was trying to alert the teams.  It looked legit to me. 

They talked about it being too loud to hear the whistle. Might be the only play  they got right because Chiefs were holding at Tom Brady in New England levels. Wanted Patrick healthy for Super Bowl ?

It was obviously a penalty but the out of bounds hit call to end the game  was dreadful. Right call but OMG what a terrible way to end AFC championship. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

I disagree the Chiefs getting the calls were the problem with the game.  The Bengals interior line was holding on every single pass play including the bomb to Chase.  They had no answer for Chris Jones other than to hold him.

The problem with the refs is the inconsistency of the way they called the game.  The broke up the flow and momentum and that flow and momentum they broke up was going in the Bengals favor in the second half.  

The calls themselves were hard to argue with as individual calls.  It was the overall inconsistency and when they decided to interject themselves into the game that was the problem.  The league itself has provided poor direction on how to establish the rules within the framework of a game that's based on consistency.  The network has sold it by having an "expert" tell if you if a particular call was correct or not.  A call being correct doesn't give you an anaylisis of what the call was in relationship to how the officials established the call in the context of the actual game.  

There are holds on the D and the OL on almost every play.  There are blocks in the back or holding on almost every kick return.  There is some form of pass interference, a judgement call that can be called on almost every contested pass play.  It's when they are called and why that one was called and others not that's the real issue.  

• Upvote 1