Is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets Really Happening?

JetNation

Aaron Rodgers, Robert Saleh

This show was originally recorded on January 26th, before Nathaniel Hackett was officially hired. Also, please note that Dylan Tereman is in Mobile for the Senior Bowl this week.

On this week’s episode of JetNation Live, hosts Dylan Tereman and Glenn Naughton discuss the latest buzz surrounding the Jets and the QB carousel. Nathaniel Hackett has been hired, that only serves to increase the rumor mill. At the end of the show, they discuss some Senior Bowl prospects before the All-Star circuit.

Special thanks go out to our long-time sponsor, MILE Social a NJ Digital Marketing Agency. They help us with our online presence and social media.

Our NY Jets Podcast can now be found on Spotify and Amazon Music. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets Really Happening? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I think the Packers want it to happen and want to roll with Jordan Loce and more cap space.  

They should assign Rodgers for free, but there will be a bidding war, and internally they may have set a minimum.  JD must be strong, tell Woody to calm down and not overpay. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think you have to look at it on a wider scope with the main question being, can the jets compete with the teams that seem to be "the" teams to beat in the AFC if Rodgers is added.

Bills - I think the answer is definitely yes, we beat them once, probably could have beat them twice if Mike White was broken in half. We made Allen look average.  And I think that team gets worse because of contracts.

Bengals - We beat them last year with Mike White, and they were a super bowl team. This year, we didn't hang with them, but it was the corpse of joe flacco at qb and still early enough in the season where Breece wasn't the featured back, it was carter. I think that could go either way.

Dolphins - I think that's a yes, even with Tu'a

Pats - Yes, should've beat them twice if zach didn't throw up on himself and JFM wasn't a bonehead, and Mann kicked the ball out of bounds.

Jags - I think when you have to bench your starter and go to the evil version of Tim Tebow, who couldn't hit a wide open Uzomah in stride at midfield, I think that tells you what we were dealing with in this game. The defense was burned more by TLaw's legs than they were his arm.

Chargers - Yeah, they have Herbert, but until they prove they won't charger, they're still a notch below.  And if I go by the evidence posted on this board, Herbert hasn't won a playoff game so he's trash.

The real question is can they hang with the chiefs.  That remains to be seen. My gut would say no because Mahomes is otherworldly. But we could get a preview of how we hang in the regular season next year at home.  This much is true, a top 5 to 10 defense, with Rodgers could likely make it interesting with the chiefs.

The big issue is will the jets be able get their oline in order? I know many are down on becton but he could be a real force. Avt will be coming back but they still need to fill a tackle and center spot. I think Tomlinson will be much better this season.  The get the oline set plus Rodgers and them will make some noise.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

The big issue is will the jets be able get their oline in order? I know many are down on becton but he could be a real force. Avt will be coming back but they still need to fill a tackle and center spot. I think Tomlinson will be much better this season.  The get the oline set plus Rodgers and them will make some noise.

I think in a rodgers situation, you have to pencil in becton to save money.  I think if David Bakhtiari follows rodgers, you pencil in him at LT, becton at Rt, tomlinson and AVT at guard and possibly bring back McGovern at center. Pair that with a smart qb like rodgers who gets the ball out quick, I think you see an improved and solid OLINE as long as they stay healthy.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think in a rodgers situation, you have to pencil in becton to save money.  I think if David Bakhtiari follows rodgers, you pencil in him at LT, becton at Rt, tomlinson and AVT at guard and possibly bring back McGovern at center. Pair that with a smart qb like rodgers who gets the ball out quick, I think you see an improved and solid OLINE as long as they stay healthy.

Agree with all of this, except they may go with a draft pick at center if they like one enough.  Saving Mcgovern’s 10M can help in other areas, especially if we are signing Bakhtiari

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know if Rodgers looks at the Jets and thinks he can turn this into a SB contender. That would be the only reason to keep playing. I am sure he doesn't  need the money at this point. 

Maybe he wants to show he can win elsewhere - like Brady did with TB, it wasn't the team or the HC, it was the QB.

Rodgers legacy is trending to be a bit more Marino-esque ... yes, he won the SB, but only once in what, 13 years? And he may look at us and see a better chance next year playing here than staying in GB.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think you have to look at it on a wider scope with the main question being, can the jets compete with the teams that seem to be "the" teams to beat in the AFC if Rodgers is added.

Bengals, Buffalo, Jags, Miami & KC in the AFC vs. Eagles, SF, Rams, Giants(WTF!), Seattle

Out of the teams needing QB I think Jets the 4th best roster behind Wash. & Titans & Bucs

We do have Rodgers best bud however.

• Washington Commanders.
  • New Orleans Saints.
  • Atlanta Falcons.
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Indianapolis Colts.
  • New York Jets.
  • Las Vegas Raiders.
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
49 minutes ago, usanyj said:

The real question is can they hang with the chiefs.  That remains to be seen. My gut would say no because Mahomes is otherworldly. But we could get a preview of how we hang in the regular season next year at home.  This much is true, a top 5 to 10 defense, with Rodgers could likely make it interesting with the chiefs.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know if Rodgers looks at the Jets and thinks he can turn this into a SB contender. That would be the only reason to keep playing. I am sure he doesn't  need the money at this point. 

You could have said that a year ago when the Packers had to dump Davante Adams because Rodgers didn't restructure his contract. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bengals, Buffalo, Jags, Miami & KC in the AFC vs. Eagles, SF, Rams, Giants(WTF!), Seattle

Out of the teams needing QB I think Jets the 4th best roster behind Wash. & Titans & Bucs

We do have Rodgers best bud however.

• Washington Commanders.
  • New Orleans Saints.
  • Atlanta Falcons.
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Indianapolis Colts.
  • New York Jets.
  • Las Vegas Raiders.
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

They are not trading him to the NFC.

Tennessee would be the biggest competition followed by Vegas, imo. However, I donn't think either are better options.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Titans? Dolphins? It's pretty limited. 

Really wasn't thinking Dolphins. But you're right, they are a dark horse considering Tuas's health. That would be one hell of a move for them to punt on the kid at this point. I'd think they'd have to give him another year, but you never know.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

They should assign Rodgers for free, but there will be a bidding war, and internally they may have set a minimum.  JD must be strong, tell Woody to calm down and not overpay. 

Totally agree on this.  Woody is turning 76 this year and I'm sure is getting thin on patience...

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I think the Packers want it to happen and want to roll with Jordan Loce and more cap space.  

I could be wrong but I don't think trading Rodgers opens up anymore cap space for them which is why I have always thought he will be there another year.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I have a gut feeling he ends up in Tennessee. 

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Maybe he wants to show he can win elsewhere - like Brady did with TB, it wasn't the team or the HC, it was the QB.

Rodgers legacy is trending to be a bit more Marino-esque ... yes, he won the SB, but only once in what, 13 years? And he may look at us and see a better chance next year playing here than staying in GB.

A lot of great Qbs only won one.

Farve, Brees, Warner, Steve Young, Wilson (he's not that great though).   Manning won 2, but lets be real, he did nothing for that 2nd ring.