Jump to content

Is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets Really Happening?


JetNation

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, undertow said:

I could be wrong but I don't think trading Rodgers opens up anymore cap space for them which is why I have always thought he will be there another year.

The dead money to trade him this year is $40 million, if he gets traded or retires after next year the dead money is $70 million. That's why they want to trade him now and it makes a lot of sense financially to do so. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, choon328 said:

The dead money to trade him this year is $40 million, if he gets traded or retires after next year the dead money is $70 million. That's why they want to trade him now and it makes a lot of sense financially to do so. 

Oh ok that makes sense thanks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

But only if the HC hides his injury, all while texts with certain pictures off objects are being sent to whoever the Jets modern day Jenn Sterger is.

If we get Rodgers and he fails dick pics might be the only reason not to fire Douglas and Saleh.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, undertow said:

Oh ok that makes sense thanks.

Now that I look at OTC, unless they renegotiate everything before then (and if you’re Rodgers or his agent, why would you do that?), Rodgers isn’t getting dealt before 6/1.

The difference for the Packers between pre- and post- 6/1 is night and day.

Pre-6/1:  40M in dead cap, (8 M) penalty against the cap

Post-6/1:  15M in dead cap, 15M in cap savings 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hex said:

There's a difference between honoring a contract and changing it for mutual party benefit

I've been in that position. The company is not interested in what is good for you. Trust me, the Packers don't  care about what is good for Rodgers when it is between what works for them and him. I have heard the whole be a team player speech. Yeah, take one for the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JiFields said:

Call me a sucker or whatever but I legit, 100% believe this is happening.  The divorce between the Packers and Rodgers has been written in blood, it's happening, no doubt about it.  It's been shaping up for years and homeboy literally wrote in his contract that they have to trade him if he wants out.  You dont do that if you want to "retire in GB"...you do it because you know you dont so you, wont.

For the NY Jets, there really was no reason to move this fast to hire an OC, unless they feared another team swooping in and landing Hackett but who would do that with the disgusting stench of that Broncos debacle still freshly permeating off his body?   Why do this before the champ games and the senior bowl?  Kellen Moore just shook loose, you never know who else could be joining him now that there are only 2 teams remaining.

I get that Saleh and Hackett have ties but to "cast a wide net" and interview all these dudes to ultimately go back to to the guy that required the smallest of nets to capture and there probably wasnt any other lines going in his direction just screams there is something larger involved here and w/ the Jets being very vocal about addressing this position w/ a veteran, the tea leaves add up.  

It's happening.

 

Yeah but then we will miss out on Fileds when the Bears trade him!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it was five years ago, I would say do that trade!!! But not today or now, Aaron Rodgers is a great passer and knows how to win but he's 39 years old and nobody knows if he will retire the following season??? (He could play in 2023 and after????). If he retires after 2023 the Jets are back with the question who is their QB???

The other thing that worries me is Green Bay is asking for two first round picks (not one) for Rodgers which is very steep for his age. The Jets are giving up way too much for a 39-year-old QB who can retire anytime he wants. Remember he has achieved a lot already he has won a Super Bowl already and a bunch of MVPs what is left for him???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Now that I look at OTC, unless they renegotiate everything before then (and if you’re Rodgers or his agent, why would you do that?), Rodgers isn’t getting dealt before 6/1.

The difference for the Packers between pre- and post- 6/1 is night and day.

Pre-6/1:  40M in dead cap, (8 M) penalty against the cap

Post-6/1:  15M in dead cap, 15M in cap savings 

Rodgers isn't getting traded then. No team will sit around and wait to make a trade till after FA and the draft, that's not happening. Any leverage GB has will be gone by then. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AL047 said:

If it was five years ago, I would say do that trade!!! But not today or now, Aaron Rodgers is a great passer and knows how to win but he's 39 years old and nobody knows if he will retire the following season??? (He could play in 2023 and after????). If he retires after 2023 the Jets are back with the question who is their QB???

The other thing that worries me is Green Bay is asking for two first round picks (not one) for Rodgers which is very steep for his age. The Jets are giving up way too much for a 39-year-old QB who can retire anytime he wants. Remember he has achieved a lot already he has won a Super Bowl already and a bunch of MVPs what is left for him???

We have no idea what GB is asking for and any picks that are traded in 2024 will almost certainly be conditional on him actually being on the team in 2024.

A 2nd in 2023 and a conditional 3rd in 2024 that can move to a 1st based on certain conditions being met is more of what I think the trade will look like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

They could agree to a deal ahead of time

They could but what if Rodgers changes his mind about going to that team? Or that team has a QB fall in their lap in the draft? There are too many risks for GB to not make the deal right away. 

Rodgers $60 million option has to be picked up by the 1st game. The closer GB gets to that date the less trade package they'll get back. It's a $60 million cash payout. That will put their dead money at around $100 million in 2024 if he decides to retire after the 2023 season. There is no way GB will risk that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AL047 said:

If it was five years ago, I would say do that trade!!! But not today or now, Aaron Rodgers is a great passer and knows how to win but he's 39 years old and nobody knows if he will retire the following season??? (He could play in 2023 and after????). If he retires after 2023 the Jets are back with the question who is their QB???

The other thing that worries me is Green Bay is asking for two first round picks (not one) for Rodgers which is very steep for his age. The Jets are giving up way too much for a 39-year-old QB who can retire anytime he wants. Remember he has achieved a lot already he has won a Super Bowl already and a bunch of MVPs what is left for him???

If it was 5 years ago, Green Bay would tell anyone trying to trade for Rodgers to go f*ck themselves.

The dude is one season removed from winning back to back MVP’s.

Yes, you run the chance of him being one and done here, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.

Rodgers makes this team an immediate Super Bowl contender after failing to even make the playoffs for 12 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I've been in that position. The company is not interested in what is good for you. Trust me, the Packers don't  care about what is good for Rodgers when it is between what works for them and him. I have heard the whole be a team player speech. Yeah, take one for the team.

You talk about how if he went to a different team he wouldn't want more money. That's a 'take one for the team' thing. I don't see him taking a pay cut in moving to a different team. He'll want to be paid the same.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Russel wilson makes this team an immediate Super Bowl contender after failing to even make the playoffs for 12 years.

Probably said many times on the Denver forums this past year.

I think the Jets get him but anyone ignoring last years performance by him is running a horrible risk.  He showed the same things that Russel Wilson did his last year in Seattle.  When you reach 40 it is more likely he plays like he did last year not at his mvp level of previous years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Probably said many times on the Denver forums this past year.

I think the Jets get him but anyone ignoring last years performance by him is running a horrible risk.  He showed the same things that Russel Wilson did his last year in Seattle.  When you reach 40 it is more likely he plays like he did last year not at his mvp level of previous years.

The odds of this move resulting in a Jets Super Bowl victory seems extremely slim.  But even a slim chance at a Super Bowl is better than 0%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Probably said many times on the Denver forums this past year.

I think the Jets get him but anyone ignoring last years performance by him is running a horrible risk.  He showed the same things that Russel Wilson did his last year in Seattle.  When you reach 40 it is more likely he plays like he did last year not at his mvp level of previous years.

I get the gist of what you’re saying, but let’s be real here.

Wilson was never the level of QB that Rodgers has been.

There’s also no scenario where we’re completely bending ourselves over a barrel with Rodgers longterm.

You walk into this thing knowing that you’re probably going to be attached to Rodgers for 2 years, tops.

Not married to him for 4+ years like Russ. And I highly doubt that the compensation will be the same. Everyone is just assuming that it’s going to be two 1st round picks because Peter King suggested it.

But I think #13 and a 2nd next year probably sees him in green and white tomorrow if Rodgers okays it. And I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it’s less than that at the end of the day.

Look, I realize that a lot of fans want to continue the “build everything through the draft” approach and want to find our QB that way. But let’s be real. This team is right up there with the Bears as historically being the sh*ttiest in the league at attempting that.

It’s also not about how the fans want to do this. People need to put themselves in Douglas and Saleh’s shoes because they’re the ones calling the shots. These dudes pretty much have one foot out the door as it is.

If you were looking to save your job when you have a relatively stacked, young team with a giant hole at QB…you’d have to have sh*t for brains to rely on some dude like Mike White, Gardner Minshew or Baker Mayfield to save you.

Aaron Rodgers is arguably one of the Top 5 QB’s to ever step on a football field and prior to last year, was consistently putting up batsh*t crazy videogame numbers.

You surround him with a Top 5 defense, dudes like Wilson/Moore/Breece and just an average OL…and you’re immediately contending for championships.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...