Is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets Really Happening?

JetNation

7 hours ago, Hex said:

You talk about how if he went to a different team he wouldn't want more money. That's a 'take one for the team' thing. I don't see him taking a pay cut in moving to a different team. He'll want to be paid the same.

GB wants to be a year early, not a year late.  Like ARod said on the podcast.  GB wants to move forward with Jordan Love.

I don't think they can have that. 

15 hours ago, JiFields said:

Call me a sucker or whatever but I legit, 100% believe this is happening.  The divorce between the Packers and Rodgers has been written in blood, it's happening, no doubt about it.  It's been shaping up for years and homeboy literally wrote in his contract that they have to trade him if he wants out.  You dont do that if you want to "retire in GB"...you do it because you know you dont so you, wont.

For the NY Jets, there really was no reason to move this fast to hire an OC, unless they feared another team swooping in and landing Hackett but who would do that with the disgusting stench of that Broncos debacle still freshly permeating off his body?   Why do this before the champ games and the senior bowl?  Kellen Moore just shook loose, you never know who else could be joining him now that there are only 2 teams remaining.

I get that Saleh and Hackett have ties but to "cast a wide net" and interview all these dudes to ultimately go back to to the guy that required the smallest of nets to capture and there probably wasnt any other lines going in his direction just screams there is something larger involved here and w/ the Jets being very vocal about addressing this position w/ a veteran, the tea leaves add up.  

It's happening.

Andy thinks so

My first post. I understand the high hopes of many regarding Aaron Rodgers and the connections that could make this happen but I would think that there are several other teams who would love to have him and that he may prefer. He is going to do what is best for him and I would think a Super Bowl Ring is at the top of his list, not who he is friends with. Rodgers on the 49ers? If he wants another ring this would be a great chance for him. Our Jets are improved but they are not as good as the 49ers and they have lots of questions on the o-line.  Several other teams could be on his radar. I understand the excitement about getting him - most of us have been severely traumatized by following the Jets and we want our savior to take us to the Big Bowl but I think we should step on the brakes regarding Rodgers. I think it is a longshot. 

I am old enough to remember Super Bowl III - it was glorious - we stunned the sports world. I hope to live to see it happen one more time. As a kid I was a Giants fan - Y.A. Tittle, Shofner, Robustelli.... I didn't know that the AFL existed until one day when I was flipping through the channels and came upon the New York Titans. I don't remember who they were playing but the Titans were awful. For some reason I loved them and I was hooked. Oh well - we must live with our choices.  A new season is upon us. Time to hope again.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, usanyj said:

I think in a rodgers situation, you have to pencil in becton to save money.  I think if David Bakhtiari follows rodgers, you pencil in him at LT, becton at Rt, tomlinson and AVT at guard and possibly bring back McGovern at center. Pair that with a smart qb like rodgers who gets the ball out quick, I think you see an improved and solid OLINE as long as they stay healthy.

Pencil in Becton to save money, and then go on a spending spree to sign Baktiari, McGovern, and keep Tomlinson? You're talking $40-50MM for that trio. 

If they spend that much on the OL plus AVT and whether it's Becton or Mitchell it doesn't matter, that should be at worst a top 5 OL for that money on those 3 veterans, but won't be because those veteran players are a combo of unreliable + really just not all-pro/pro bowl good, in addition to penciling in the also-unreliable Becton.

I don't think they need to keep/sign any of those 3, let alone all of them. It's overkill for undeserving players. Or how much do you envision spending on each?

• Tomlinson's due $13MM he hasn't earned.
  • Bakhtiari is still a top LT when he's on the field, so he's not going to come cheap either. He'll still be expensive, just not with 2-3 fully guaranteed seasons is all. Still figure about $20MM.
  • McGovern is hard to say. I could see him signing in the $9-10MM range somewhere and also upwards of $14MM per.

Anyway for those 3 it's about $45MM give or take $5MM, and at the end of this shopping spree on the OL they are still starting two tackles with justified injury concerns, and a 3rd who can miss an unknown multiple games without a football injury, also without warning.

Also I doubt Bakhtiari gets dumped when they're trying to see what they've got in Jordan Love in the first place, but we'll see.

Back to the drawing board ;) 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Pencil in Becton to save money, and then go on a spending spree to sign Baktiari, McGovern, and keep Tomlinson? You're talking $40-50MM for that trio. 

If they spend that much on the OL plus AVT and whether it's Becton or Mitchell it doesn't matter, that should be at worst a top 5 OL for that money on those 3 veterans, but won't be because those veteran players are a combo of unreliable + really just not all-pro/pro bowl good, in addition to penciling in the also-unreliable Becton.

I don't think they need to keep/sign any of those 3, let alone all of them. It's overkill for undeserving players. Or how much do you envision spending on each?

• Tomlinson's due $13MM he hasn't earned.
  • Bakhtiari is still a top LT when he's on the field, so he's not going to come cheap either. He'll still be expensive, just not with 2-3 fully guaranteed seasons is all. Still figure about $20MM.
  • McGovern is hard to say. I could see him signing in the $9-10MM range somewhere and also upwards of $14MM per.

Anyway for those 3 it's about $45MM give or take $5MM, and at the end of this shopping spree on the OL they are still starting two tackles with justified injury concerns, and a 3rd who can miss an unknown multiple games without a football injury, also without warning.

Also I doubt Bakhtiari gets dumped when they're trying to see what they've got in Jordan Love in the first place, but we'll see.

Back to the drawing board ;) 

i don't know about tomlinson.  he looked bad this past season but was that milfy?  benson? the guys he was playing next to? they need to give him a real hard look to see if he's worth keeping or counting on.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i don't know about tomlinson.  he looked bad this past season but was that milfy?  benson? the guys he was playing next to? they need to give him a real hard look to see if he's worth keeping or counting on.

The problem is they need to fully commit to him right away. There is no changing their mind later.

Also no it wouldn’t have to do with LaFleur. They’re the same plays others use. He had no special assignment just for the LG to be so visibly worse than the RG.

I’m not even faulting Douglas for this one. It was more than a reasonable pickup, but fool me once…

Far too expensive to have to take such a risk, imo.

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

No I didn't.  I said if GB gave him a contract, honor it, not take a cut so they can pay Adams. I never mentioned another team. 

You said the only reason to keep playing was to try and win it all, and your were sure he didn’t need the money at this point. Maybe I interpereted that wrong, but to me that sounded you meant like he needed it before in GB when he got that huge extension. 

7 hours ago, oldjetman said:

My first post. I understand the high hopes of many regarding Aaron Rodgers and the connections that could make this happen but I would think that there are several other teams who would love to have him and that he may prefer. He is going to do what is best for him and I would think a Super Bowl Ring is at the top of his list, not who he is friends with. Rodgers on the 49ers? If he wants another ring this would be a great chance for him. Our Jets are improved but they are not as good as the 49ers and they have lots of questions on the o-line.  Several other teams could be on his radar. I understand the excitement about getting him - most of us have been severely traumatized by following the Jets and we want our savior to take us to the Big Bowl but I think we should step on the brakes regarding Rodgers. I think it is a longshot. 

I am old enough to remember Super Bowl III - it was glorious - we stunned the sports world. I hope to live to see it happen one more time. As a kid I was a Giants fan - Y.A. Tittle, Shofner, Robustelli.... I didn't know that the AFL existed until one day when I was flipping through the channels and came upon the New York Titans. I don't remember who they were playing but the Titans were awful. For some reason I loved them and I was hooked. Oh well - we must live with our choices.  A new season is upon us. Time to hope again.

Welcome to the board. 

If the Packers trade Rodgers, I can't fathom any scenario where they would do so to a team that will be in direct competition for an NFC title. Basically, it would come down to Rodgers preferred choice in the AFC, assuming they can reach agreement on compensation. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, oldjetman said:

Welcome!  Fantastic first post.  Hope there's many more to come!   My grandfather would always get complimentary Jets and Mets tickets and would often take me to see Namath (when healthy) at Shea beginning at 7 yrs old.    

After all this suffering....  I wouldn't mind Aaron Rodgers for 2 or more years.  Jets fans deserve a break.  We can return to the fruitless hunt via draft for QBs later.  We long-time Jets fans need a winner.  Now.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, freestater said:

Welcome to the board. 

If the Packers trade Rodgers, I can't fathom any scenario where they would do so to a team that will be in direct competition for an NFC title. Basically, it would come down to Rodgers preferred choice in the AFC, assuming they can reach agreement on compensation. 

49ers are without a #1 & #2 pick this year but have 10 total picks. Here are the top 6. Certainly enough ammo  to swing a deal for AR. Just depends on GB trading w/in Conf.

• Round 3, Pick 99
  • Round 3, Pick 100
  • Round 3, Pick 101
  • Round 5, Pick 157
  • Round 5, Pick 166
  • Round 5, Pick 173

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

49ers are without a #1 & #2 pick this year but have 10 total picks. Here are the top 6. Certainly enough ammo  to swing a deal for AR. Just depends on GB trading w/in Conf.

• Round 3, Pick 99
  • Round 3, Pick 100
  • Round 3, Pick 101
  • Round 5, Pick 157
  • Round 5, Pick 166
  • Round 5, Pick 173

So the 49ers will give up on Lance after the huge trade up to get him?  Not so sure there. Then again, we're not so sure here about the Jets and Zach Wilson either.  Maybe they do like the Jets and give him a clipboard to hold for 2023? 

if rodgers goes anyplace he will go the dolphins  you can take that to the bank-Tua is broken (sad but true)

arod will be throwing to hill and waddle in the warm weather and the press there is soft and wont bother him

He will NEVER be a jet

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

if rodgers goes anyplace he will go the dolphins  you can take that to the bank-Tua is broken (sad but true)

arod will be throwing to hill and waddle in the warm weather and the press there is soft and wont bother him

He will NEVER be a jet

Thanks!  Now I am more confident he will be a Jet!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The problem is they need to fully commit to him right away. There is no changing their mind later.

Also no it wouldn’t have to do with LaFleur. They’re the same plays others use. He had no special assignment just for the LG to be so visibly worse than the RG.

I’m not even faulting Douglas for this one. It was more than a reasonable pickup, but fool me once…

Far too expensive to have to take such a risk, imo.

I don’t think Tomlinson had a problem with knowing the plays. I think it’s more that milfy rubbed people the wrong way so Tomlinson mailed it in.  He wouldn’t be the first player that just didn’t go out for the coaches.  But your point is well taken as to his salary. He could be another trumaine.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t think Tomlinson had a problem with knowing the plays. I think it’s more that milfy rubbed people the wrong way so Tomlinson mailed it in.  He wouldn’t be the first player that just didn’t go out for the coaches.  But your point is well taken as to his salary. He could be another trumaine.

Yeah I'm not buying that one.

And there's even the slightest chance he did that, when everyone else including their QBs are risking serious injury, then **** him and cut him anyway.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I'm not buying that one.

And there's even the slightest chance he did that, when everyone else including their QBs are risking serious injury, then **** him and cut him anyway.

We’ll see. I’m sure saleh and Douglas will be examining the play of everyone, especially on the oline.  I don’t know if the rbs were running over one side vs the other but it would interesting to see if they produced more on one side or the other. About the only thing that’s true is the oline just seem to have much push on run plays.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

We’ll see. I’m sure saleh and Douglas will be examining the play of everyone, especially on the oline.  I don’t know if the rbs were running over one side vs the other but it would interesting to see if they produced more on one side or the other. About the only thing that’s true is the oline just seem to have much push on run plays.

Those stats exist, but I'm not looking it up right now myself. My recollection is it depended on the game, rather than consistently better/worse to one side all the time. Also the right side had more injuries so I don't know what it'd tell anyway, in terms of inferring much of anything, unless running behind LG was consistently worse than everywhere else.

Otherwise? Not trying, on purpose for personal reasons, and all coaches kept him on the field for every play? Nope, not buying that one even a little bit.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

He will NEVER be a jet

If GB moves Rodgers, I could see that being a destination for all these reasons. The Dolphins might not be a win now team but if Tua had continued to perform at the same level through the season they would have been a playoff team for sure. They are less of a question mark for a vet QB than this team. 

As a Jets fan I'd hate to have him in the division on another team. As a Brady disliker I'd laugh that another star QB took the spot after what went down.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

• Round 3, Pick 99
  • Round 3, Pick 100
  • Round 3, Pick 101
  • Round 5, Pick 157
  • Round 5, Pick 166
  • Round 5, Pick 173

You think GB wants a bunch of third and fifth round picks for a definite starting QB? Or is your thought that the majority of those picks get traded for higher picks to make the trade worthwhile for GB? Is there a team out there trading three thirds for a first?

12 hours ago, oldjetman said:

But but but after the Packers and Jets game Rodgers hugged Zak and whispered something in his ear... doesn't that mean something??

Rodgers is the play over Carr if the Jets really believe BYU is fixable since Carr will require a 5+ year deal.

Of course they could be trying to salvage some small amount of trade value. The public / “leaked” statements don’t mean much at present.

Rodgers on Hackett:

Can't make any comment on how his hiring by the Jets would affect his decision, but stated he LOVES Hackett - one of the few coaches that made things special for him to play the game.

He made it fun.

Loves Hackett, his wife and kids.

One of the coaches that is special to him and whose relationship will last beyond football.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers on McAfee live now:

Has made and repeated a point now about how he's a leader who has always prioritized "being respected more than being liked" and how that style of leadership is the kind that "can have a lasting impact in this league".

Rodgers said Rich Bisaccia is like that and would get a ringing endorsement from him if anybody called to ask.

Yo, we all know Saleh is the opposite: cares way more about being "liked" than being "respected"

Rodgers isn't stupid.  He can obviously see this too.

Comments by Rodgers on Hackett relationship:  he loves Hackett because he "made it fun".  Hackett will be a lifelong friend even after football.

6 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

I still have my doubts despite parts of the media wishing it to be true because it would generate a ton of clicks.  This organization is too stupid 

So, after more than 50 years of mostly futility, bringing in a 40 year old QB for 1-2 seasons at a ridiculous cost in terms of draft picks is going to change everything?

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The right organization, the right Coaching staff, staying the course and building over time is the only way to get these gerbils off the revolving exercise wheel.

You stay the course, hope your young QB comes back to a new OC, refreshed and ready to live up to expectations, with a healthy mind and body and you keep building through the draft.

You want a team that is good every season and then somewhere along the line , maybe when you least expect it, you win a SB or two like Giants did with a very average ELi manning who occasional could get oht and go on a streak.That was a good organization with COughlin overseeing it and they managed to win 2 SB's.

Giving up 2 potential All-rpo , or at least starting players for a 40 year old QUIRKY QB who could go home and call it quits at any time to me isn't the answer.

• Post of the Week 2