Is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets Really Happening?

JetNation

1 minute ago, Leftylarry said:

So, after more than 50 years of mostly futility, bringing in a 40 year old QB for 1-2 seasons at a ridiculous cost in terms of draft picks is going to change everything?

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The right organization, the right Coaching staff, staying the course and building over time is the only way to get these gerbils off the revolving exercise wheel.

You stay the course, hope your young QB comes back to a new OC, refreshed and ready to live up to expectations, with a healthy mind and body and you keep building through the draft.

You want a team that is good every season and then somewhere along the line , maybe when you least expect it, you win a SB or two like Giants did with a very average ELi manning who occasional could get oht and go on a streak.That was a good organization with COughlin overseeing it and they managed to win 2 SB's.

Giving up 2 potential All-rpo , or at least starting players for a 40 year old QUIRKY QB who could go home and call it quits at any time to me isn't the answer.

Don’t disagree but there is logic to it from JD/Saleh’s perspective. It gives them a chance to save their skins next season and get to the security of a contract extension while saving face by avoiding an obvious admission that BYU is a total bust since Rodgers is a short term rental.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Don’t disagree but there is logic to it from JD/Saleh’s perspective. It gives them a chance to save their skins next season and get to the security of a contract extension while saving face by avoiding an obvious admission that BYU is a total bust since Rodgers is a short term rental.

It'd be cool to have some continuity @ the top of the organization for a while too.

If Rodgers gives Saleh and JD two more years, even though they're not perfect, I think that's better than throwing desperate haymakers for Harbaugh or Payton and ending up with Demeco Ryans.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:35 AM, usanyj said:

I think you have to look at it on a wider scope with the main question being, can the jets compete with the teams that seem to be "the" teams to beat in the AFC if Rodgers is added.

Bills - I think the answer is definitely yes, we beat them once, probably could have beat them twice if Mike White was broken in half. We made Allen look average.  And I think that team gets worse because of contracts.

Bengals - We beat them last year with Mike White, and they were a super bowl team. This year, we didn't hang with them, but it was the corpse of joe flacco at qb and still early enough in the season where Breece wasn't the featured back, it was carter. I think that could go either way.

Dolphins - I think that's a yes, even with Tu'a

Pats - Yes, should've beat them twice if zach didn't throw up on himself and JFM wasn't a bonehead, and Mann kicked the ball out of bounds.

Jags - I think when you have to bench your starter and go to the evil version of Tim Tebow, who couldn't hit a wide open Uzomah in stride at midfield, I think that tells you what we were dealing with in this game. The defense was burned more by TLaw's legs than they were his arm.

Chargers - Yeah, they have Herbert, but until they prove they won't charger, they're still a notch below.  And if I go by the evidence posted on this board, Herbert hasn't won a playoff game so he's trash.

The real question is can they hang with the chiefs.  That remains to be seen. My gut would say no because Mahomes is otherworldly. But we could get a preview of how we hang in the regular season next year at home.  This much is true, a top 5 to 10 defense, with Rodgers could likely make it interesting with the chiefs.

I view it differently. You simply don;t know who will end up ascending and making the playoffs and who will end up sliding and missing the playoffs. Maybe Pitt is the new NFL darling next year if Pickett takes a leap forward? 

To me, the answer is simple. The Jets have a top 5 defense. This will keep them in every game. They have key weapons on offense- Rodgers won't be coming in with a completely bare cupboard (as they say). They should have made the playoffs last year (barring injury to White). So they feel like, with Rodgers, they will definitely have a great chance to make the playoffs.

Once you are in the playoffs- anything is possible, no matter who you play against. And who better in the playoffs than a guy like Rodgers. 

That is really the goal. Get in and with Rodgers and this defense you will have a shot. So this is what makes this is SB contender. 

He was just on McAfee's show, said he will make his decision if he wants to play in the next couple of weeks. Said its about the Super Bowl right now and not about him. Rodgers to The Jets is done.

Lets see what the comp will be. We will know before the new league year, McAfee even called Woody out after the interview, Pat probably knows already.

10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It'd be cool to have some continuity @ the top of the organization for a while too.

If Rodgers gives Saleh and JD two more years, even though they're not perfect, I think that's better than throwing desperate haymakers for Harbaugh or Payton and ending up with Demeco Ryans.

Saleh seems like JAG to me. Not a liability, not a needle mover.

JD though just nailed the draft. Yes he has some bad whiffs on his resume but all GMs do. I’d like to see him apply what he’s learned awhile longer.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Saleh seems like JAG to me. Not a liability, not a needle mover.

JD though just nailed the draft. Yes he has some bad whiffs on his resume but all GMs do. I’d like to see him apply what he’s learned awhile longer.

I mean, even if they're both average that's a fairly big improvement from the past decade.

I'd continue with that for a few years, build a good roster, exit the basement of the NFL and enjoy watching the games on Sunday. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Look, to me, Saleh's defense and win/loss record was good enough this season, above earlier expectations that his job should NOT be in question.

The OC, was a punk, a 33 year old when hired and all he was here for was to look good and get his next JOB , I'm sure he viewed that as a future HC'ing job.

He did nothing for the development of the young players.

Before he ever coached him 1 down, he decided MIMS didn't have the proper skill set to play for him and therefore MIms had ZERO development, got worse in terms of confidence and went from a hands catcher in college ot a body catcher in the NFL under Punky's leadership.

When he then decided Moore wasn't going ot help him get his next job, he started freezing him out, the #35 pick of the draft, then he turned on ZacH WIlson behind the scenes like a rabid dog and he got worse and worse.

You don't fire Saleh or JD who is bringing in a lot of very good young players, you do what they did, you fire Punky lafleur and go back to the development of your young players, we should see continued progress next season and another good draft, then we should be ready to go and then if ZW isn't the guy, you look for a veteran QB because you are ready to win and he's the final piece.

You don't drop your program and say, "WIN NOW or you are all FIRED , that's the gerbil on the treadmill , it just doesn't work.

You become a very good organization,  incrementally.

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Look, to me, Saleh's defense and win/loss record was good enough this season, above earlier expectations that his job should NOT be in question.

The OC, was a punk, a 33 year old when hired and all he was here for was to look good and get his next JOB , I'm sure he viewed that as a future HC'ing job.

He did nothing for the development of the young players.

Before he ever coached him 1 down, he decided MIMS didn't have the proper skill set to play for him and therefore MIms had ZERO development, got worse in terms of confidence and went from a hands catcher in college ot a body catcher in the NFL under Punky's leadership.

When he then decided Moore wasn't going ot help him get his next job, he started freezing him out, the #35 pick of the draft, then he turned on ZacH WIlson behind the scenes like a rabid dog and he got worse and worse.

You don't fire Saleh or JD who is bringing in a lot of very good young players, you do what they did, you fire Punky lafleur and go back to the development of your young players, we should see continued progress next season and another good draft, then we should be ready to go and then if ZW isn't the guy, you look for a veteran QB because you are ready to win and he's the final piece.

You don't drop your program and say, "WIN NOW or you are all FIRED , that's the gerbil on the treadmill , it just doesn't work.

You become a very good organization,  incrementally.

We agree on a lot just not sure it’s fair to say MLF didn’t develop young players because of Mims when Breece and G.Wilson were both on OROTY trajectories. Have to take the bitter with the sweet a bit.

1 hour ago, Green Truth said:

He was just on McAfee's show, said he will make his decision if he wants to play in the next couple of weeks. Said its about the Super Bowl right now and not about him. Rodgers to The Jets is done.

Lets see what the comp will be. We will know before the new league year, McAfee even called Woody out after the interview, Pat probably knows already.

Very worried about the meltdown on JN if/when this doesn't happen. 

46 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I mean, even if they're both average that's a fairly big improvement from the past decade.

I'd continue with that for a few years, build a good roster, exit the basement of the NFL and enjoy watching the games on Sunday. 

It’s a good point that replacing average with <insert another random Woody candidate> carries a significant downside risk.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Truth said:

Of course he wants to play. The guy is such a ego tripping weirdo. He needs to stay relevant somehow. Bluffing a retirement year after year has made him the ultimate boy who cries wolf. He isn't retiring. He will play again. He just needs to be loved, coddled, and get as much attention as an attention whore can get. Retiring? LOL. 

Alicia Silverstone Cher Horowitz GIF by Clueless

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, freestater said:

Welcome to the board. 

If the Packers trade Rodgers, I can't fathom any scenario where they would do so to a team that will be in direct competition for an NFC title. Basically, it would come down to Rodgers preferred choice in the AFC, assuming they can reach agreement on compensation. 

Good point that I somehow failed to consider. Thanks for your reply. I have read this forum for years and finally decided to contribute what little I know . 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Welcome!  Fantastic first post.  Hope there's many more to come!   My grandfather would always get complimentary Jets and Mets tickets and would often take me to see Namath (when healthy) at Shea beginning at 7 yrs old.    

After all this suffering....  I wouldn't mind Aaron Rodgers for 2 or more years.  Jets fans deserve a break.  We can return to the fruitless hunt via draft for QBs later.  We long-time Jets fans need a winner.  Now.

Thanks Jets brother - Looking forward to a playoff appearance and more in 2023. We do indeed deserve a winner!

7 hours ago, jgb said:

We agree on a lot just not sure it’s fair to say MLF didn’t develop young players because of Mims when Breece and G.Wilson were both on OROTY trajectories. Have to take the bitter with the sweet a bit.

They were more finished products and throwing it 15 times in a row to GWilson in that game, was ridiculous .

8 hours ago, pointman said:

Of course he wants to play. The guy is such a ego tripping weirdo. He needs to stay relevant somehow. Bluffing a retirement year after year has made him the ultimate boy who cries wolf. He isn't retiring. He will play again. He just needs to be loved, coddled, and get as much attention as an attention whore can get. Retiring? LOL. 

Alicia Silverstone Cher Horowitz GIF by Clueless

I’m getting the impression you don’t like Aaron Rodgers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

They were more finished products and throwing it 15 times in a row to GWilson in that game, was ridiculous .

So Mims is unlocked potential neglected by MLF but G. Wilson came developed and thus MLF gets no credit. Feels like there is a better case to make against MLF.

21 hours ago, Hex said:

You said the only reason to keep playing was to try and win it all, and your were sure he didn’t need the money at this point. Maybe I interpereted that wrong, but to me that sounded you meant like he needed it before in GB when he got that huge extension. 

Players will always make the best deal possible and I am sure Rodgers truly  believed GB was a SB contender. He may believe now GB is rebuilding and wants out. The Jets probably make the playoffs with Rodgers but SB, I really don't  think so. Until  we see this team can keep it's  players off IR, we are not a contender. I think there is a greater chance Miami or even Detroit who missed the playoffs but finished strong has a better chance of landing him. He will also consider money but I don't  believe that is the only consideration.  That is what I meant. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dan Marino’s uncles, third cousins, brothers former roommate?

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who said the Jet are gearing up to send a lucrative offer to the Packers for Rodgers. I guess it's pretty serious. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Players will always make the best deal possible and I am sure Rodgers truly  believed GB was a SB contender. He may believe now GB is rebuilding and wants out. The Jets probably make the playoffs with Rodgers but SB, I really don't  think so. Until  we see this team can keep it's  players off IR, we are not a contender. I think there is a greater chance Miami or even Detroit who missed the playoffs but finished strong has a better chance of landing him. He will also consider money but I don't  believe that is the only consideration.  That is what I meant. 

Ok, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, peebag said:

So how many championships is a Derek Carr or Aaron Rodgers bringing to the Jets?

Im not a prognosticator, I have no idea. I do know however Rodgers on this team gives us an astronomically better chance at competing for a title than Zach Wilson, Mike White or Joe Flacco does.

We can point towards us beating backup qb’s, etc but this team was at one point 7-4 with the worst trio of qbs in football. This team is a few tweaks on the offensive line and a good QB away from making a push. 

• More Ugh 1

11 hours ago, JETS SB said:

I’m getting the impression you don’t like Aaron Rodgers.  

No one likes that dirty, smug, egomaniac. No one. He hates his family. He dated his ex's best friend. He has to have his way. He should get dick kicked daily for the rest of his life.