Feels like the wheels are coming off

Phillyjet

The glass is clearly half full and getting fuller.  The jets have quite a few players who would be starters on any other team.  That’s a huge upswing from the Mac years. Obviously the offense still has issues nut over half is because of injuries as opposed to personnel. The remainder was due to milfy and bad qb play in milfy’s system.  Milfy is gone and should be able to land a vet who has a shallower learning curve.  People have been talking about how teams can turn it around in a season. Well, that’s what we will see.

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Too many missed picks. No one has stuck really via FA. Most notably Tomlinson and Davis being busts. No quarterback obviously. Rodgers isn’t coming here. Oline is a mess. Best player coming off of ACL. This was the off-season to reset again. Now you have Douglas in desperation mode.

I don’t understand how the Jets can be considered an NFL team. Hey, let’s see if we can switch to the XFL!!! Wait a minute, we probably wouldn’t succeed there either. Well, I guess we can also try the USFL, but they play all their games in one stadium. But you know what??? We don’t have our own stadium now so it won’t matter!!!

• Haha 1

This is where PatsfanTX would remind us about the Jets winning the offseason and how well that translates.

In other news this same old Jets fan feel that the most Jets-like way this will play out is that we massively overpay for Rogers by bidding against ourselves and that he massively fails here for reasons having to do with advancing age, personality fit, injury or lack of commitment to winning.

Then we are stuck with a cap hole, no QB and no first round pick for the next <fill in the blank> number of years. This would be the Jets way.  Oh, all of this and Miami winning the AFC with Garopolo or Carr.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

They started to wobble in Denver and came off vs the cheaters. Jets organization puts out a lot of unforced errors in quotes and tweets. I would like to see that clamped up.  I don’t follow any other teams but the Jfm thing with Zach ,this  Q tweet, the leaks about lafleur and Zach, too much noise. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

They have no QB and just hired Son of Draw Play Paul to fix the offense. Whatever good vibes we all felt in October/November are dead and buried.

I prefer the third and 10 draw plays that get 8 yards to the third and 10 passes to the checkdown 7 yards short of the sticks.  The third and 10 draw play at least pads the average yards per run while the third and 10 3 yard pass reduces the yards per catch and attempt.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

They have no QB and just hired Son of Draw Play Paul to fix the offense. Whatever good vibes we all felt in October/November are dead and buried.

Bitching about Hacket because if Paul Hachett is pure nonsense and lazy.  One has nothing to do with the other.  
If he minkes youe good vibes dead and buried without one game to base it on, that’s on you.

Who did you want who had no questions and was guaranteed to fix the offense

How about the troll who just neg reps everything?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They get Rodgers or they get out. Bottom line.

Rodgers sets this team back five years years. 

$60MM dead cap hit in 2025? For a player who will be retired! No thanks. 

Keep draft picks, sign Garrapolo and White to team friendly deals while their value is low. 

Since Parcells left this team, the wheels have been coming off. When Rex was here, the lug nuts were all either loose or off, and Rex was driving as fast as he could with no GPS and hoping to get to the final destination. 

Since then, we have been driving a bus with no wheels, and we keep trying to hire bus drivers without enough experience to recognize that the bus has no wheels.

Then we blame the passengers who were forced to take the bus for all the problems

We are probably less then a month away from having a proven vet QB that, by most accounts, puts the Jets into real playoff contention - meaning not just squeaking in on a wild card and losing by 30, but possibly doing some damage in the playoffs.

But the wheels are falling off?

I respectfully disagree.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Even with a bandaid solution with Aaron Rodgers or Derek Care, it's increasingly looking like we'll be cleaning house next year.  Witness:

1) Given our cap situation, how do you retain Q and sign Carr/Rodgers/Garropollo. 

2) Assuming the above happens, What scraps are left to rebuild the oline and replace departing FA's (e.g. Quincy Williams) on D?  And oh yeah, we might be down a draft pick or two.

3) Some modicum of continuity seemed possible by retaining MLF and bringing in a QB/passing game coordinator.  Fast forward a week or two, MLF is hired by McVay, who knows nothing about offense, and we are left with Nathaniel Hackett coming in off an atrocious season with Russell Wilson.  And that team did not lack talent.  Heck, we still don't have a passing game/WR coach, or that senior assistant.

4) Saleh seems like he is increasingly feeding us BS.  Witness the Hackett press conference.  I for one thinking he was spotting MLF a favor, and will be going west in a year.

5) Witness Q's stupid tweet.  

6) Breece will be back, but think we won't see his best, barring another injury, until 2024.  Similar to Saquon.  As a shift runner, would be surprised we see full explosiveness 10 months post injury.  

7) The oline sucks, no offense to AVT who is awesome.  I even think Becton will be better (contract year).  But no center, maybe we got Mitchell on the right side, and we'll see if Laken decides to show up this year.  Oh, and no depth at all.

8. We were relatively injury free on defense this year, particularly at CB.  Not sure we can assume that would be the case next year.

9.  The front office is getting leaky again.  Whatever you think of Tony Pauline, he wasn't making sh*t up.  Someone's gabbing. Usually precedes a clean-out. 

Which leaves us with a very slim margin for error.  If the losing starts, it will go downhill quickly. 

All this makes me sense that we are in one of those rinse/repeat cycles where we'll be cleaning house next year.  Harbaugh?  Payton?  Who you got?

Wheels won't come off until we bring in Rogers (or any high priced QB). Our roster was built with the knowledge that we DON'T have a high priced QB, and JoeD has been spending like a drunken sailor. We're $3M over the cap with like 20 FAs we have to re-sign, or sign their replacements.

The low handing fruit already needs to be plucked just to return our squad in '23. Still no room for rookies, Q, or a high priced QB.

To take the roster JoeD has built w/o a QB and then turn it inside out to act like a mature roster with a high priced QB overnight will require tremendous churn, and many of our fav players will no longer be on the Jets. If not this season, then next.

There's a reason mature teams with a high priced QB rarely have superstars all over the roster.

We're such a talented young team, with multiple players we'd LOVE to keep on contract #2. We'd be throwing a lot of that away to turn into a 'mature team' over night.

Just keep our young stars together, sign Mike White, and let it rip!

42 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Since Parcells left this team, the wheels have been coming off. When Rex was here, the lug nuts were all either loose or off, and Rex was driving as fast as he could with no GPS and hoping to get to the final destination. 

Since then, we have been driving a bus with no wheels, and we keep trying to hire bus drivers without enough experience to recognize that the bus has no wheels.

Then we blame the passengers who were forced to take the bus for all the problems

Parcells did exactly what the majority here is wanting. Go all in at all costs , damn the future. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Wheels won't come off until we bring in Rogers (or any high priced QB). Our roster was built with the knowledge that we DON'T have a high priced QB, and JoeD has been spending like a drunken sailor. We're $3M over the cap with like 20 FAs we have to re-sign, or sign their replacements.

The low handing fruit already needs to be plucked just to return our squad in '23. Still no room for rookies, Q, or a high priced QB.

To take the roster JoeD has built w/o a QB and then turn it inside out to act like a mature roster with a high priced QB overnight will require tremendous churn, and many of our fav players will no longer be on the Jets. If not this season, then next.

There's a reason mature teams with a high priced QB rarely have superstars all over the roster.

We're such a talented young team, with multiple players we'd LOVE to keep on contract #2. We'd be throwing a lot of that away to turn into a 'mature team' over night.

Just keep our young stars together, sign Mike White, and let it rip!

You had me - until there . 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

We are probably less then a month away from having a proven vet QB that, by most accounts, puts the Jets into real playoff contention - meaning not just squeaking in on a wild card and losing by 30, but possibly doing some damage in the playoffs.

But the wheels are falling off?

I respectfully disagree.

IJ, you are going to be sooo disappointed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Even with a bandaid solution with Aaron Rodgers or Derek Care, it's increasingly looking like we'll be cleaning house next year.  Witness:

1) Given our cap situation, how do you retain Q and sign Carr/Rodgers/Garropollo. 

2) Assuming the above happens, What scraps are left to rebuild the oline and replace departing FA's (e.g. Quincy Williams) on D?  And oh yeah, we might be down a draft pick or two.

3) Some modicum of continuity seemed possible by retaining MLF and bringing in a QB/passing game coordinator.  Fast forward a week or two, MLF is hired by McVay, who knows nothing about offense, and we are left with Nathaniel Hackett coming in off an atrocious season with Russell Wilson.  And that team did not lack talent.  Heck, we still don't have a passing game/WR coach, or that senior assistant.

4) Saleh seems like he is increasingly feeding us BS.  Witness the Hackett press conference.  I for one thinking he was spotting MLF a favor, and will be going west in a year.

6) Breece will be back, but think we won't see his best, barring another injury, until 2024.  Similar to Saquon.  As a shift runner, would be surprised we see full explosiveness 10 months post injury.  

7) The oline sucks, no offense to AVT who is awesome.  I even think Becton will be better (contract year).  But no center, maybe we got Mitchell on the right side, and we'll see if Laken decides to show up this year.  Oh, and no depth at all.

8. We were relatively injury free on defense this year, particularly at CB.  Not sure we can assume that would be the case next year.

9.  The front office is getting leaky again.  Whatever you think of Tony Pauline, he wasn't making sh*t up.  Someone's gabbing. Usually precedes a clean-out. 

Which leaves us with a very slim margin for error.  If the losing starts, it will go downhill quickly. 

All this makes me sense that we are in one of those rinse/repeat cycles where we'll be cleaning house next year.  Harbaugh?  Payton?  Who you got?

have you planned out what you will be doing next year on Sundays?

Given your handle, it might be best to root for your local team.  they are pretty good and the wheels don't seem to be coming off there.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Too many missed picks. No one has stuck really via FA. Most notably Tomlinson and Davis being busts. No quarterback obviously. Rodgers isn’t coming here. Oline is a mess. Best player coming off of ACL. This was the off-season to reset again. Now you have Douglas in desperation mode.

reading this you'd think the jets didn't just draft two players who are about to win O and D rookies of the year.

Don't know why I am even bothering - but theres just a lot to disagree with in the post. In bold below...

How are Rodgers/Carr a bandaid? Carr you have under contract for three years? Rodgers you get two years. They are absolutely infinitely better than the QBs we have had the past two years. 

Super easily. Q is under contract already for 2023. Its his fifth year option. His cost is just under $10mm. If they extended him they could actually lower that amount - but they don't need to do anything. Also Q could be franchised twice after 2023. 2023 DT charge is $18.9mm - lets say it goes up to $20mm in 2024 - its still below what an expected annual cost would be - so even if Q wants Aaron Donald money ($30mm+) we could keep him in 2025 for maybe $25mm. In 2024 we'll have $90mm+ of cap space so this is very easy. 

Rodgers costs $15mm in 2023. You could basically add him to the team at the expense of cutting Carl Lawson. Carr could be had by cutting Carl Lawson, Corey Davis, Braden Mann, and Braxton Berrios. Jordan Whitehead could be cut and add another $7mm of savings. Yes you need to replace those guys but we have good depth at edge, can draft a WR to compete w/ Mims for CD's spot, etc. You can also free up a lot of space by restructuring Mosley, JFM, DJ Reed, or the TEs. 

AVT is set at one guard spot - Laken will be the other. We need a Center. We have Duane Brown/Becton/Mitchell at OT before we draft one. It will likely be a below average OL - but if you have a better QB who can actually get the ball out and better health it should look a lot better than this year. 

Houston and Denver don't have head coaches. Like 8 teams don't have OCs. Its January. They will find a senior assistant and WR coach - also its a WR coach - who cares. Hackett is not an inspiring choice at all - but he's been an OC for multiple teams, has HC experience, and seems to be well regarded by his players. As far as OC options go given where we are its a meh grade - but thats the issue w/ firing an OC and trying to replace him when the HC is on the hot seat. 

The coaches have zero incentive to be truthful to the fans. Do you want Saleh to come out and say after a loss that ZW is a bust and is the reason we're losing games? Why would you do that? Is Saleh thrilled with Hackett? No - I'm sure he'd have wanted to keep MLF. Thats our owner for you though. Saleh is just trying to not make any headlines and move along. If he came out and said "Hackett sucks but I got put in a bad position by our sh*thead owner. We're just hoping to get Rodgers by this hire and thats my best chance to keep my job." I'm sure you'd be happy in his truthful response - but everyone else would be going wtf is this guy thinking and Hackett would probably quit...

Q was right. He shouldn't have said it - but he is right. How is that the wheels falling off? He wants to be a Jet - you think any of this impacts games next year? 

Probably right. I will say Breece is super young and the injury happened relatively early in the season. I'd bet on his 2024 production being better but I think for the second half of the season its not unrealistic to think he will be 90% of what he was given his age. 

All fair - I think we'll have a below average line next year barring Becton having a massive turnaround and getting lucky in the draft. I think going from having the worst QB situation in the league to an average/above average will have infinitely more impact than making the OL elite - but yea it'll probably be below average. 

Again - how are the wheels coming off? Yes we may have injuries. KC's offense was healthy this year. If they're not next year they prob don't make the superbowl. Same with Cinci's offense. Same w/ SF's defense. I can point to any team for 2023 and say well if they get injured they won't be as good. The fact that they were healthy in 2022 has zero impact on their likely health in 2023 - if anything it is likely a positive as players A) can rehab/get even healthier since they won't be doing injury rehabilitation and B. have shown to not be injury prone. 

I absolutely believe Tony Pauline could be making stuff up. What did he really say though? 

Players were urging for MLF to leave - OK well however it happened hes out. 

They believe they should stick w/Mike White or go for a veteran - OK saleh literally said they're gonna get a veteran. 

Front office wants to get rid of Zach and Woody wants to keep him - OK? Don't know how this impacts next year other than Zach not being here would leave us w/ some dead cap unless hes traded post June 1 in which case we'd save $4mm

The jets D was top 5 last year. If it does regress maybe its top 10. The Jets offense was the worst in the league last year and dealt with some brutal injuries. The analytics on the Jets gave their QBs a negative WAR. If you're not analytics friendly it basically means the Jets would have been better off if they didn't play a quarterback. Only team in the league to have that. 

We won 7 games last year w/ a top 5 D and last O. If its the 9th best D and middle of the pack O - that is a MUCH improved team.