There HAS to be a way to take human element out of officiating in the NFL

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Let's just have ChatGPT ref the games

AI is a good start. At the very least the sidelines and goal lines should be set up so you can tell if someone's foot touches it or if you break the plane. Why go to a million different angles with a guy in NY that probably wears glasses? Have a chip in the ball so you can tell if the tip crosses the goal line or touches it. That's easy stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Well if that Saints vs Rams PI call was not breaking point then I don't know what is.

The NFL is its grand mind wants to protect QB's and generate as much scoring as possible. In doing that they have (i won't say ruined) but really messed up a great game.

I don't see how bringing in full time refs fixes this. 

The NFL right now is all about

1) protecting the QB

2) generate as much scoring as possible.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Problem with that is a penalty can be called on every play.  

Yea but the ones that should be come are the ones where the offender changed the outcome of the play, like if a holding allowed a runner to get through a hole that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Just now, shawn306 said:

Well if that Saints vs Rams PI call was not breaking point then I don't know what is.

The NFL is its grand mind wants to protect QB's and generate as much scoring as possible. In doing that they have (i won't say ruined) but really messed up a great game.

I don't see how bringing in full time refs fixes this. 

The NFL right now is all about

1) protecting the QB

2) generate as much scoring as possible.

So the Jets don't currently really have a QB and the defense is their strength.

welp

• Haha 1

If the Saints-Rams game from a few years ago didn't break the league, nothing will. 

No call I have ever seen or heard of before or since, was as awful as that one.  It's as if the ref simply said "anything short of murder with a machete is going to slide for the Rams on this drive".  The game was literally stolen from the Saints on that one non-call. 

So when I see any team other than the Jets (or Saints, or anyone playing the Patriots) whining about bad calls, I just can't get too worked up.  While there were a few that were debatable, I don't know that any of them were actually completely wrong like the one mentioned above was.

For those who don't like to watch video....THIS was a non-call:

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

The redo on 3rd down was a horrible optic and wish it could have been handled better.

when it was explained, it was the correct decision.

personal foul on mahommes out of bounds is no argument.

100% the right call. Sure unfortunate when it happened but it did and it was correct

While the call on Mahomes might have been correct, having a dead ball foul decide that game seems insane.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The call last night I didn’t like was the grounding call. Perine was close enough. 

As a whole, it was a rough year for NFL refs. They are still part timers. Hiring them full time could possibly make it better but really only if there is a grading system to weed out the weaker ones. 

There is also a star system for QBs and coaches.  If you have a bigger star QB and coach compared to your opponent it seems like an advantage on 50/50 calls.
The thing that drives me crazy is Star QBs oline getting away with holding and getting the roughing call. Those are big swings, 10 and 15 yards. 

The Jets need a star QB and star HC. 

Rodgers coming here would help the Jets with calls, no doubt about it. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

You're not supposed to hit Mac Jones as hard as JFM did, but it's OK for Milano to crush MfW's ribs. Get with the program. /s

The Milano hit was devastating but I thought it was completely clean.  Unless the NFL wants to change the rules to something along the lines of "only hit as hard as you need to but no harder". 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Well some team had to fill the hatred void left by the Patriots demise. KC is building its resume. I am tired of them.

I like KC.  Andy Reid is a coach I can respect.  Closest thing to Parcells I think the league has now.  And Mahomes?  He's the guy who could erase TB12 from all of the record books and GOAT discussions so I'm his biggest fan until the Jets develop someone that can compete.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Milano hit was devastating but I thought it was completely clean.

Because it was.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless the NFL wants to change the rules to something along the lines of "only hit as hard as you need to but no harder". 

There is no way to call such a rule fairly and evenly.  

The NFL has too many judgement calls as it is.

Can't speak for soccer but you can't compare tennis to football. It's way easier to use tech and take the human element out of officiating that type of game. Compared to 22 people on one field running all different directions at different speeds.

It's just always going to happen. Calls will always be missed or called incorrectly. You have guys running crazy speeds happening at the blink of an eye and they need to make a split decision. It's just how it is. 

Technology can be used for things like spot of the ball, crossing the goal line, etc. But everything else? I don't see what can change outside of just being a better judge. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

The call last night I didn’t like was the grounding call. Perine was close enough. 

As a whole, it was a rough year for NFL refs. They are still part timers. Hiring them full time could possibly make it better but really only if there is a grading system to weed out the weaker ones. 

There is also a star system for QBs and coaches.  If you have a bigger star QB and coach compared to your opponent it seems like an advantage on 50/50 calls.
The thing that drives me crazy is Star QBs oline getting away with holding and getting the roughing call. Those are big swings, 10 and 15 yards. 

The Jets need a star QB and star HC. 

Rodgers coming here would help the Jets with calls, no doubt about it. 

On that grounding call, it was tricky because, IIRC, there was a defender between the QB and the Perine, and the ball bounced a few yards in front of the defender.  It didn't seem like a pass to me and certainly not one a QB would ever legitimately try to throw, hence why I think he intentionally bounced it.  Absolutely a judgment call and I can understand CIN fans being frustrated, but I don't think it was awful by any stretch.  I even think it was correct and almost certain that Burrow wasn't trying to actually pass to the receiver.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Philly SF game was pretty messy as well.  What were they going to do if they determined that punt hit the wire?  Do over?  WTF? 

Yep.

It's in the rules.

If the ball hits a foreign object, in this case the wire, it's a do over.

Punts have hit the scoreboard a number of times in games in Dallas and they replay the down.

Problem was none of the refs saw it and there wasn't clear video evidence of it happening.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the KC hate.  They are fun to watch, have the best young quarterback in the game and perhaps the most entertaining to watch as well.   Btw that Pacheco is a BEAST!  Also shows how a great Quarterback can lift up his wide receivers.    Andy Reid is probably the best coach in football right now.   Please don't compare them to the Pats who were the biggest cheaters in the history of team sports and who had virtually every big call go their way for over a decade. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

On the grounding calls i thought the officials made the right call. Burrow threw the ball 5 yards behind the LOS at the lineman’s feet, to me that’s clear grounding. With the Mahomes throw, it looked like the ball got tipped anyway = no grounding 

All due respect, he's wrong on almost every count.  

Bengals pass was a clean-pass, was an intended spike/incompletion/clock stopper, and hit two O-linemen in the back of their legs.  No receiver within ~8 yards.

Chiefs pass was deflected (arm was hit), was not an intended spike at all, and did not come close to any O-linemen, and was short of the eligible receiver by ~3-4 yards.

Sorry, these are not equivalent plays.

And you know he's full of crap because he calls the Personal Foul "questionable", give me a break.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Yep.

It's in the rules.

If the ball hits a foreign object, in this case the wire, it's a do over.

Punts have it the scoreboard a number of times in games in Dallas and they replay the down.

Problem was none of the refs saw it and there wasn't clear video evidence of it happening.

Jeez.  A do-over in an NFL game?  It seemed cheap when we were playing sewer to sewer.