Salary Cap Set at $224.8M for 2023

Lith

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know what direction they’re going in the draft, but waiting until there were no centers under contract I think makes it less likely.

I can’t complain at all with last year’s draft class but ideally heading into McGovern’s final contract year was the time to draft a raw guy who’d ride the bench as a rookie.

This year that position would be tackle, seeing how both presumptive starters (Brown & Becton) are also both FAs in ’24.

But who knows. 

I like Stromberg from Arkansas for a C/G. Hoping we retain McGovern for another 2 years.

We can free up nearly 100 mil by cutting or restructuring and wouldn’t touch our core. Mosley would be the only big hit that we would lose, but I guess he can be replaced as all he does it tackle guys who run past him. Otherwise no one we will miss. The cuts are obvious. Anyone drafted in 2021 or 2022 we would likely keep. This is much better than I thought it would be considering we have basically 5 first round picks. I have confidence JD will make room for a QB and a few other additions in free agency. Might not draft a 1st rounder this year if we get Rodgers.  We will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

But these 32 guys, Aaron Rodgers being one of them will SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

Which brings me to my next complaint 

Aaron rodgers is washed 

That's why he's even available in the first place 

The Jets trading for this old dude and his massive franchise crippling contract isn't as dumb as taking Zach at 2, but it's close 

Remember when Saleh said no shortcuts, he was right about that. There are no shortcuts to build a program 

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Which brings me to my next complaint 

Aaron rodgers is washed 

That's why he's even available in the first place 

The Jets trading for this old dude and his massive franchise crippling contract isn't as dumb as taking Zach at 2, but it's close 

Remember when Saleh said no shortcuts, he was right about that. There are no shortcuts to build a program 

It was a down year for Rodgers by his standards. Bad year for the Packers, He needs weaponz.  :)

image.png

But putting it in perspective, the Jets would be very good with that kind of production from the QB (2022 stats). If he approaches anything close to what he did in 2021 or 2020 this team would go to the Super Bowl.

I would trade for him. You try to win it all now with some young talent. You try to save face on Zach and let him develop behind a hall of famer in the background.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I like Stromberg from Arkansas for a C/G. Hoping we retain McGovern for another 2 years.

I think McGovern's basically fine: a legitimate starting center. He's not one of the game's very best, but he's not a disaster. Jets fans have seen both extremes over the past decade & should know better than taking an "anybody but _____" attitude, because Wesley Johnson & Spencer Long were far worse, and Feeney is, too. He's also been really reliable health-wise, missing just 2 starts in 3 seasons (48 of 50), and even the game he left early happened in the 4th quarter.

That said, if his UFA market is hovering into low-mid teens, is he really worth that?

I lean towards no, but a bigger concern than paying him $14MM/yr instead of, say, $10MM again is the thought of Douglas maddeningly re-signing Feeney for $3MM or so yet again, and that'd be his stopgap starter heading into the draft. This could then lead to reaching for a center over someone better who'd slipped to us, because he deep down knows he can't risk Feeney actually being his starter; or it could lead to Feeney starting anyway if twice in a row someone just-ahead of us snagged the center Douglas was targeting that round; and either way, a rookie center that may not yet be ready to start 15+ games.

I'm kind of on the fence. I wouldn't get upset either way (re-signing McGovern or failing to do so). Nor am I so terrified of starting a rookie either. I'm mostly concerned with heading into the draft with an actual or effective hole at the position.

If he's available, isn't retiring, and is willing to play here (wouldn't have to sell his house) Kelce might be the ideal signing. Shouldn't be crazy money for a star lineman because of his age (turns 36 midseason next year); also is less likely to get multiple seasons fully guaranteed for the same reason; still plays at a high level; isn't going to whine and get insulted if/when the Jets draft his successor (on the contrary, in Philadelphia he allegedly handpicked his successor, Dickerson & player-coached him up a whole lot). If Philadelphia wins the SB I could see him retiring on top, though.

Best would be a 2022-offseason version of Bozeman (still don't know why he commanded so little, but that's what I'd like to see; he's a legitimate starter if the draft doesn't lay out just-so for us, but not so great that the team shouldn't be considering his position on day 2 if the right center is there). The guy on Cleveland is a UFA and is supposedly coming off an excellent season (I'd be lying if I said I watched every Browns game attentively & really focused on their center in both run & pass blocking).

Anyway, yeah they could/should be able to find their next C starter without burning too high of a pick. So many good centers were day 3 picks, so no need for us to be special imbeciles and burn a 1st round pick (if we even have one after a possible Rodgers trade).

It's too way early to tell before the combine, but thus far the guy you're targeting looks like he's a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder. So that may be too low for our 2nd round pick and may not last to our 3rd round pick. He could always trade down ~10+ slots in rd 2 and add another 3rd or 4th rounder, but they'd still be bypassing a top 30-40 prospect who otherwise slipped to us. That's what I'm afraid of in getting pigeonholed into a position where they must land a rookie starter. Or who knows, he could fall to our 4th round pick faik.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think McGovern's basically fine: a legitimate starting center. He's not one of the game's very best, but he's not a disaster. Jets fans have seen both extremes over the past decade & should know better than taking an "anybody but _____" attitude, because Wesley Johnson & Spencer Long were far worse, and Feeney is, too. He's also been really reliable health-wise, missing just 2 starts in 3 seasons (48 of 50), and even the game he left early happened in the 4th quarter.

That said, if his UFA market is hovering into low-mid teens, is he really worth that?

I lean towards no, but a bigger concern than paying him $14MM/yr instead of, say, $10MM again is the thought of Douglas maddeningly re-signing Feeney for $3MM or so yet again, and that'd be his stopgap starter heading into the draft. This could then lead to reaching for a center over someone better who'd slipped to us, because he deep down knows he can't risk Feeney actually being his starter; or it could lead to Feeney starting anyway if twice in a row someone just-ahead of us snagged the center Douglas was targeting that round; and either way, a rookie center that may not yet be ready to start 15+ games.

I'm kind of on the fence. I wouldn't get upset either way (re-signing McGovern or failing to do so). Nor am I so terrified of starting a rookie either. I'm mostly concerned with heading into the draft with an actual or effective hole at the position.

If he's available, isn't retiring, and is willing to play here (wouldn't have to sell his house) Kelce might be the ideal signing. Shouldn't be crazy money for a star lineman because of his age (turns 36 midseason next year); also is less likely to get multiple seasons fully guaranteed for the same reason; still plays at a high level; isn't going to whine and get insulted if/when the Jets draft his successor (on the contrary, in Philadelphia he allegedly handpicked his successor, Dickerson & player-coached him up a whole lot). If Philadelphia wins the SB I could see him retiring on top, though.

Best would be a 2022-offseason version of Bozeman (still don't know why he commanded so little, but that's what I'd like to see; he's a legitimate starter if the draft doesn't lay out just-so for us, but not so great that the team shouldn't be considering his position on day 2 if the right center is there). The guy on Cleveland is a UFA and is supposedly coming off an excellent season (I'd be lying if I said I watched every Browns game attentively & really focused on their center in both run & pass blocking).

Anyway, yeah they could/should be able to find their next C starter without burning too high of a pick. So many good centers were day 3 picks, so no need for us to be special imbeciles and burn a 1st round pick (if we even have one after a possible Rodgers trade).

It's too way early to tell before the combine, but thus far the guy you're targeting looks like he's a late 2nd or early 3rd rounder. So that may be too low for our 2nd round pick and may not last to our 3rd round pick. He could always trade down ~10+ slots in rd 2 and add another 3rd or 4th rounder, but they'd still be bypassing a top 30-40 prospect who otherwise slipped to us. That's what I'm afraid of in getting pigeonholed into a position where they must land a rookie starter. Or who knows, he could fall to our 4th round pick faik.

? I give this “POTW” honors for the encyclopedic level typing alone! You truly are a man of succinct thought. Nothing but love and a tender rib poke.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yes, no shortcuts!  However, when a dead tree is blocking the road, preventing you from getting to your destination, you take the appropriate detour!

ZW is our dead tree & AR, Carr or JG the detour to our destination.