Simmons: I have intel Rodgers going to Jets

7 hours ago, faba said:

Hey at least it would keep the Jets relevant -Packers would most likely want two first round picks as part of the deal you people willing to give that up?

Nah they get one first rounder and a 3rd rounder next year.  We can afford to lose a 1st rounder this year because they added four 1st round talent level players last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Rodgers has to be willing to restructure his deal for something to happen anytime soon.

Because otherwise it makes zero financial sense for the Packers to deal him before 6/1.

The dead money and cap ramifications are  astronomical.

Why would Rodgers do anything with his contract?

Hes due 50 mil in cash on March 17

Being traded is not more important than the 50 mil 

Unless he's somehow getting even more money, players don't just change their contracts 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Im with Assman on this. I don't think Rodgers compensation will be as much as most are suggesting. Day 2 pick this year and a conditional pick that could become a 1st next year is what I’m thinking.

Uhhhggg no way I give up a 1st for a guy we will be renting for at most 2 years. 

• More Ugh 4

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Nah they get one first rounder and a 3rd rounder next year.  We can afford to lose a 1st rounder this year because they added four 1st round talent level players last year.

Also because every other year our 1st round only yields busts anyway, going back for a decade, and that'd be next year. So there's really nothing lost. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

The issue with Rodgers is the cap hit. The Jets will have to take a $60MM dead cap hit in 2025 (when he’s likely to retire). Of course they can spread it out two years ($30 in 2025 & $30 in 2026), but that’s still massive. 

I wouldn’t touch Rodgers for so many reasons. Draft picks, early retirement, cap hit, short window, declining play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Uhhhggg no way I give up a 1st for a guy we will be renting for at most 2 years. 

So a college tackle for five years is preferable to a qb that gives you a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl for two years?

Are we barred from getting this magic college player in the second round or with next years first?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

The issue with Rodgers is the cap hit. The Jets will have to take a $60MM dead cap hit in 2025 (when he’s likely to retire). Of course they can spread it out two years ($30 in 2025 & $30 in 2026), but that’s still massive. 

I wouldn’t touch Rodgers for so many reasons. Draft picks, early retirement, cap hit, short window, declining play. 

He’s not returning early barring injury.  He has 2 years $110 million on likely his last ever payday contract of his life

We are not sticking with Wacky Zacky the Bust.  Give it up.

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Im with Assman on this. I don't think Rodgers compensation will be as much as most are suggesting. Day 2 pick this year and a conditional pick that could become a 1st next year is what I’m thinking.

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

If we get Rodgers & we have to give next years 1st as part of the trade that should be a no brainer. This team won 7 games with the worst qb trio in the league... with Rodgers there's a legitimate chance of doing much much better, in that case next years 1st could end up being the equivalent of a glorified 2nd.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, jetsons said:

If we get Rodgers & we have to give next years 1st as part of the trade that should be a no brainer. This team won 7 games with the worst qb trio in the league... with Rodgers there's a legitimate chance of doing much much better, in that case next years 1st could end up being the equivalent of a glorified 2nd.

I’m concerned our “success” (winning 7 games with zero qb talent on the roster) has already convinced JD and Woody we don’t need Aaron Rodgers and should be just fine settling for clowns like Jimmy G or Andy Dalton

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

The average NFL career is 3.5 years, so yes I would gladly take 2 years of SB run over a 1st round pick if push comes to shove. 

2023 2nd Round pick

2024 Conditional (baseline 3rd, playoffs 2nd, SB 1st)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The average NFL career is 3.5 years, so yes I would gladly take 2 years of SB run over a 1st round pick if push comes to shove. 

2023 2nd Round pick

2024 Conditional (baseline 3rd, playoffs 2nd, SB 1st)

I’d be down with that. We can also trade down out of #13 to recoup that 2nd round pick while retaining a pick in the late teens to early 20’s

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm interested to hear more on the Purdy injury. If that UCL ruptured then that's Tommy John, out for the year. I think Brady goes to Vegas too but if the 49er job opens up, I can see him landing there.

49ers - Brady

Raiders - Rodgers

Panthers - Carr

Colts - Draft/Matt Ryan

Seahawks - Geno/Draft

I think Jimmy G lands with the Jets in this scenario but I think the Texans are dark horses for him with the NE guys there. Then we are probably looking at Tannehill.

yeah great lets get the most injured QB in NFL history ..... Maybe this is good if we keep MFW he gets to play the remaining 15 games of the season when Garoppolo goes down 

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

He’s not returning early barring injury.  He has 2 years $110 million on likely his last ever payday contract of his life

We are not sticking with Wacky Zacky the Bust.  Give it up.

The only one mentioning Wilson as the team’s 2023 starter is you. Again.

I think this experiment is far past its expiration. Also I’m not referencing Wilson either.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also because every other year our 1st round only yields busts anyway, going back for a decade, and that'd be next year. So there's really nothing lost. 

Not true.  We had two sh*tty 1st rounders between Quinnen(Becton and Zach), so naturally we're due another Pro Bowl pick this year to balance it out. 

In all seriousness though, I think the only 1st rounder GB will see from us will be next year, and it'll be based on conditions.  Maybe a Super Bowl appearance.  I highly doubt they get the #13 this year though.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

I’m concerned our “success” (winning 7 games with zero qb talent on the roster) has already convinced JD and Woody we don’t need Aaron Rodgers and should be just fine settling for clowns like Jimmy G or Andy Dalton

lol if those guys are clowns, I cringe at the thought of what our current QBs are.  Walmart Clowns?  

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

Not true.  We had two sh*tty 1st rounders between Quinnen(Becton and Zach), so naturally we're due another Pro Bowl pick this year to balance it out. 

In all seriousness though, I think the only 1st rounder GB will see from us will be next year, and it'll be based on conditions.  Maybe a Super Bowl appearance.  I highly doubt they get the #13 this year though.  

Lol I saw that but it’s been pretty regular otherwise. Besides maybe the pattern is every 10 they have back to back bad ones, making even a pair of 1s also a non-loss. Even less so as the team won’t then later plan around a reliance of those busts starting for them, lol.

In fairness, the best thing the Jets have going for them is AR’s recent public sentiment that he might retire. Makes it easier to say the picks each season should be after he plays, not gambling that he will play.

On the other hand they’re not going to be oblivious to the idea that, on top of the much lower value of next year’s pick compared to this year’s (even if it’s the same slot number), Rodgers makes it more likely our 1st is a lower slot after this year’s draft.

Really it’ll just depend what else gets offered by other teams. Maybe they take a little less with the 2nd best offer if it’s close, as a give-back to Rodgers (plus we don’t play them again soon), but if someone offers them two 1s starting this year they’re not going to pass that up for ours a year later, then possibly another a year after that if he doesn’t quit.

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So a college tackle for five years is preferable to a qb that gives you a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl for two years?

Are we barred from getting this magic college player in the second round or with next years first?

Let’s just trade them Breece  who was a 2nd rounder and G Wilson who was a 1st and get it over with.  Yea that makes a ton of sense. Two guys who are potentially HOF players for a guy who going to cost 100M for 2 years. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

52 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

yeah great lets get the most injured QB in NFL history ..... Maybe this is good if we keep MFW he gets to play the remaining 15 games of the season when Garoppolo goes down 

Even worse is that Mike White is the second most injured QB in NFL history.

If we land Jimmy G, i dont even know how I will react. It’ll be a sad day.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol I saw that but it’s been pretty regular otherwise. Besides maybe the pattern is every 10 they have back to back bad ones, making even a pair of 1s also a non-loss. Even less so as the team won’t then later plan around a reliance of those busts starting for them, lol.

In fairness, the best thing the Jets have going for them is AR’s recent public sentiment that he might retire. Makes it easier to say the picks each season should be after he plays, not gambling that he will play.

On the other hand they’re not going to be oblivious to the idea that, on top of the much lower value of next year’s pick compared to this year’s (even if it’s the same slot number), Rodgers makes it more likely our 1st is a lower slot after this year’s draft.

Really it’ll just depend what else gets offered by other teams. Maybe they take a little less with the 2nd best offer if it’s close, as a give-back to Rodgers (plus we don’t play them again soon), but if someone offers them two 1s starting this year they’re not going to pass that up for ours a year later, then possibly another a year after that if he doesn’t quit.

Oh for sure, if a team offers two 1sts, god bless them.  Enjoy Mr. Rodgers.  No way am I coming close to matching that if I'm JD.  That said though I'm just not sure who makes that offer.  

Only teams I can see desperate enough to offer that would be SF and MIA, and both teams have been trading 1sts like they're candy lately.  SF doesn't have a 1st this year and MIA had to forfeit theirs.  I think SF will end up targeting Brady, while MIA probably looks to a guy like Jimmy G if they can afford him. 

• Upvote 1

The biggest impediment IMO to Rodgers coming here to the NYJ is not likely to be the DO compensation or the cap cost. GB is not getting 2 1st rd DPs…at least, if they do, I hope it’s not from us. Day 2 pick this year, conditional pick next yr is the most likely cost. The cap implications do suck, but they’re not unmanageable. 

the biggest impediment is likely to be the timing of the whole situation. Carr will be cut loose or traded by the 15th of Feb. garropolo will either be on the market pretty soon after or locked up in SF depending on what SF does with the Purdy injury/Lance stuff. Rodgers can play this out all spring and into the summer…and I don’t think the NYJ can play the waiting game as the QB carousel continues to turn without some pretty quick resolution of the Rodgers situation by both GB and ARod. We’d have to start hearing something VERY soon…because I don’t see the NYJ sitting on the sideline as new QBs find new homes while Rodgers and GB figure it all out. JMO