Simmons: I have intel Rodgers going to Jets

16 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

HUH? G Wilson is a bust? Becton had a stellar 1st year then got injured. Not his fault. Players get injured. AVT, another 1st round pick is a bust? I hear you looking backwards BUT trauma therapy resolves a lot of  issues.  I'd let JD continue to shape this team primarily through the draft. He is done a great job in flipping this roster over. Its no quick fix.  Rodgers woul dbe nice but not if we're surrending big assets like a #1.

No Way (Jose) Edwards.

Not playing 1 full game in 2 years is bust territory thus far. If he turns his career around, then he'll also turn around his bust status. But thus far, yeah he is. As it is the team has to keep picking up other OTs - perhaps drafting another with their top pick this year, whatever that ends up being - to compensate for his missed games after landing on IR but his anticipated maybe-missed games. Further, the word just leaking out of his new training group, he's in much better shape now than he was after 8-10 mos of rehab down south. That doesn't speak well of his whole 3rd year, ankle roll or not.

I'm in favor of him playing like he did as a rookie, and even improving upon that. 

Until then? Bust.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Rodgers couldn’t win a Super Bowl the past 12 years but he’s going to come to a brand new city, new franchise, play with unfamiliar teammates, and somehow take the Jets to the Super Bowl. At age 40. Do people really believe that this could happen? 

Stafford couldn’t win a Super Bowl the past 12 years but he’s going to come to a brand new city, new franchise, play with unfamiliar teammates, and somehow take the Rams to the Super Bowl.  At age 33. Do people really believe that this could happen? 

:-k

Could, yes.  Will (for Rodgers), probably not.

Playoffs, yes, I think that's entirely doable.

At this point, I'd take back to back playoff seasons for the Jets (regardless of how deep we get, got to be in it first), buying us time to keep building the roster, and time to develop a younger QB behind Rodgers, be it a new one or (if no other option or if JD is obsessed), Zach Wilson.

Do you think Carr, or Jimmy  G., Minshew, Mayfield, or the lesser guys are going to come in, same situation, and win a Super Bowl?  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Rodgers couldn’t win a Super Bowl the past 12 years but he’s going to come to a brand new city, new franchise, play with unfamiliar teammates, and somehow take the Jets to the Super Bowl. At age 40. Do people really believe that this could happen? 

Rodgers wasn't playing 1 on 1 football the past 12 years. It's a team game. The Jets have a top 5 defense and explosive players on offense. He put up his best career numbers with the OC we just hired.

Yes, I think the Jets could win a superbowl if they trade for Rodgers.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/jamaal-williams-talks-aaron-rodgers-future-impact-on-nfc-north

Jamaal Williams talks Aaron Rodgers' future, impact on NFC North

Detroit Lions running back Jamaal Williams predicts what's next for Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' future, impact on NFC North, and more.

Peter Schrager - Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers. How do you see that thing right now and where do you see that going forward?

Jamaal Williams - I just feel my boy is going to go to the Jets. Wanna see Jordan Love finally get his time to shine and show what he worth.  Let A-Rod go to the Jets. Have fun do his thing. 

Peter Schrager - You played for Nathaniel Hackett.

Jamaal Williams - Yeah that's my boy. Hacky Sack

Peter Schrager - It's funny you say that's your boy and you light up. People watching the NFL might say that guy was a bomb as a head coach, but players seem to like him, so he's with the Jets right now. That makes a lot of sense.

Jamaal Williams - He's a players coach no matter what. I feel like he's a great offensive coordinator. May not have been uh, you know his first time as a head coach, but a great offensive coordinator. Just put him in his role and let him have fun out there. He gets the players going. He makes playing for him fun.

fireworks GIF

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

yes. bro a good qb changes the game every week. GB has had trash roster for along time.

Now that all changed in the playoffs look at waht we just ahd happen. The better teams won. So who knows, who is to say we dont win in the playoffs and go to the big game. Rodger gives you that chance. Expecially if we had Breece hall anything close to what he was as a rookie.

The argument really is, is it worth giving up that draft capitol and $$ to bring him in. Do we think he gets us over the hump. 

I for one saw a zach wilson/flacco led team win games so yes I think rogers scores 21 on average if not more and we not only make playoffs but proabbly can make a legit run with this teams talent.

I take two play off season for giving up 2 first rounders all day every day.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Chris B. Brown on Twitter: "vance joseph saw that mahomes's success rate  against the blitz was *double* that of the next closest QB, and went with  the tobias fünke inspired gameplan to

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Stafford couldn’t win a Super Bowl the past 12 years but he’s going to come to a brand new city, new franchise, play with unfamiliar teammates, and somehow take the Rams to the Super Bowl.  At age 33. Do people really believe that this could happen? 

At this point, I'd take back to back playoff seasons for the Jets (regardless of how deep we get, got to be in it first), buying us time to keep building the roster, and time to develop a younger QB behind Rodgers, be it a new one or (if no other option or if JD is obsessed), Zach Wilson.

Do you think Carr, or Jimmy  G., Minshew, Mayfield, or the lesser guys are going to come in, same situation, and win a Super Bowl?  

Good response. I’d point that out that there’s a huge age gap between Stafford at 33 and Rodgers at 40. We saw the decline already last season. For me, the investment (two 1st round picks, $40 million/year contract) doesn’t match the risk. I’m in the extreme minority on this, I know.

My opinion is that Joe Douglas picks up the phone for due diligence purposes but I don’t think the Jets have any real interest. I don’t believe the reports that the Jets are “front runners” are true.

Happy to admit I was wrong if that doesn’t turn out to be the case. 

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really, it's the last part that has me pushing for it.

I want to watch fun, exciting football with the NY Jets on the field. The Jets' offense on the field, that is.

Heaven forbid the Jets forgo the draft pick that becomes the next Mims or Pryor or something.

Do this so I have a good reason to watch on Sundays. Then in two years the Jets can go back to their process of doing it "the right way" in 2025, en route to another high draft pick in 2026.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Good response. I’d point that out that there’s a huge age gap between Stafford at 33 and Rodgers at 40. We saw the decline already last season. For me, the investment (two 1st round picks, $40 million/year contract) doesn’t match the risk. I’m in the extreme minority on this, I know.

My opinion is that Joe Douglas picks up the phone for due diligence purposes but I don’t think the Jets have any real interest. I don’t believe the reports that the Jets are “front runners” are true.

Happy to admit I was wrong if that doesn’t turn out to be the case. 

You saw a player throwing to a barren WR corps, then getting injured, and still besting Carr's numbers despite having neither a reliable game-changer at WR nor an unbroken thumb. Before it was broken, to start the season, their OL & wepponz resembled the Jets' did when closing out the 2021 season. Then he had 3-4 plenty-solid games. Then he broke his thumb against the Giants.

That's what "we saw" if we're going to give some context to the numbers, instead of treating them as though he was perfectly healthy and playing on a stacked, healthy offense around him.

I have no idea how hard they'll go after him, but I don't think they'd pounce so early on Hackett - who was on the fence but leaning towards just sitting out the season a week ago - without Rodgers very much in mind to the tune of more than just due diligence kicking the tires. Interview him, then let him tamper with Rodgers before signing with the Jets, then hire him for sure when they get an answer they like (at least from the Rodgers camp). Sure there's some wishful thinking in there, but it fits more than it's far-fetched.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So let me ask, would you trade Breece for Rodgers right now straight up? You dont know what you're getting when you draft a player, in any round/pick. Could be a great fit or a bust. It's a crapshoot. JD's draft picks have been getting much better so I'll forgo giving up a #1. I could see a #2 and another #2 on a conditional basis in 2024. 

I’d trade Breece and my girlfriend for Aaron Rodgers

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm as cynical as it gets too, but investing in young QB's and wasting years at a time to watch them crash and burn hasn't worked for the Jets in two decades, so I'm all for trying a different approach.  Normally I hate the high priced, wrong side of his career, mercenary approach but I'm sick and tired of rooting for sh*tty teams year after year.  As long suffering fans, we invest a lot of time and emotion into this damn team, and we're f**king due for some sort of payoff! I'd rather watch Rodgers potentially crash and burn for two years than Carr or Garappolo win us 9 games and lose a first round road playoff game. If Rodgers has any magic left at all, this team can do some damage next year, and that's the kind of legit hope that Jets fans have been begging for!

I have no problem bringing in a veteran (in fact, I think we have to), I just question if Rodgers is the right veteran

50 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have no problem bringing in a veteran (in fact, I think we have to), I just question if Rodgers is the right veteran

Carr, Garappolo, and any of the other QB's realistically available to the Jets via trade or free agency in 2023 are mostly of the middle tier type QB (at best).  To make a baseball analogy, they're doubles at best.  Rodgers is a potential home run. The Jets have swung and missed badly with Darnold and Wilson, so at least if we get another swing and miss, let it be with a HOF QB who is capable of that home run. 

11 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Carr, Garappolo, and any of the other QB's realistically available to the Jets via trade or free agency in 2023 are mostly of the middle tier type QB (at best).  To make a baseball analogy, they're doubles at best.  Rodgers is a potential home run. The Jets have swung and missed badly with Darnold and Wilson, so at least if we get another swing and miss, let it be with a HOF QB who is capable of that home run. 

Using your analogy, Rodgers was a double last year. 

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

So what’s your plan at QB? 

I’m all open to going after Rogers, but I would not give up a number one to get him.  I would go and sign Jimmy G & Mike White as a back up. Together they could get through the season. Then draft a quarterback in the third and fourth round to develop. And deactivate Zach for the rest of eternity. Seriously though Zach could learn from a guy who runs the WCO as well as Jimmy G.