Brock Purdy Compete UCL tear & How it affects the Jets

choon328

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

He probably won't have surgery for at least 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. 6 month recovery is if everything goes well with his rehab. 

The 49ers are SB contenders again next year. Lance looked awful in his only start this year...

13/28 164 yds 0 tds 1 int

I doubt they will go into the season with that much of a question mark at QB especially after what just happened to them in the NFC Championship game. 

Just my opinion, but I think it’s a huge mistake to spend money for roughly 4 games of Jimmy G. Purdy is already a better QB. I’ll take my chance with Lance those first few games.

13 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Why would Jimmy G go back to SF?

He's an unrestricted FA, he'll have a market for his services and SF has been trying to get rid of him for the last two years.

Plus he’s JD and Woody’s plan to ninja Zach into the week 1 NY Jets starting lineup

Sign Jimmy G.  Jimmy G gets injured tripping over air during the summer and JD and Zach’s wonder child gets another shot to stink again

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Everyone assumes Purdy was locked in as their Week 1 starter in 2023.  Probably far from the case.  

I imagine they'll sign a cheap-ish QB2 to go with Lance and Purdy.  Jimmy G is gone regardless.

This. I smell Minshew. Would say Bridgewater if he could stay on the field himself. Maybe Brissett, Mike White, Mariota if/when he’s cut following a Carr/JG signing.

But their goal would be to get Lance back onto the field. A year after drafting him, as clear contenders, they still liked him enough to be willing to cut ties with JG well into the offseason when he could’ve turned down their pay cut demand.

Their team just needs a game manager for the reg season, and temporarily if even that. Maybe even just a QB2 behind Lance until Purdy returns.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Good luck betting on Brock Purdy being a franchise QB.

Not saying he's Tom Brady or going to accomplish even a quarter of what he did, but I'm sure people said the same thing about Brady. 

The fact is, Purdy played well for a rookie thrown into the fire. If he was a 1st round pick, people would be calling him the 49ers new franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, choon328 said:
I think this takes Jimmy G off the board and it is more likely he will re-sign with the 49ers as an insurance policy.

Why would this be the best choice for Jimmy G.?  I presume he wants to start and make the most money possible, not take a #2's salary to be be an insurance policy.

I think the 49ers will trade Lance.

No chance.  Lance/Purdy is their 2023 QB room.  Who starts may be TBD, based on the injury and lack of ability to compete in camp, but San Fran believes in both guys. 

Jimmy G. will not be a 49'er in 2023.

Yeah I don't know why I thought it was worse than this.  If the timetable is near week 1, why not just play your 3rd overall pick?  Maybe worst case you have to play him for, what, 3 or 4 weeks?  Also yeah, I don't see how this would be an attractive situation at all for Jimmy.  Why would he choose to come back unless they are offering ridiculous money and terms, instead of going somewhere to be the undisputed #1 guy?  He'll get paid no matter where he goes.  

If I'm SF I just trust that the guy I paid a premium to draft a few years ago can keep things afloat at the very least.  At best, he proves their investment was worth it and either drastically increases his trade value or allows them to look into dealing Purdy instead.  Seems like a pretty easy choice, IMO.  Maybe they bring in a Mike White type as insurance.  Definitely not a Rodgers or Brady or Carr or even a Jimmy G.  That's a bit overkill IMO.

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, I never heard Mike White's teammates calling him a puss for not playing.

I never heard of a teammate calling his teammate a puss for not playing

Has nothing to do with his calling Jimmy G out for being injured and then contorting yourself to explain how Mike White isn’t really injury prone

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I never heard of a teammate calling his teammate a puss for not playing

Has nothing to do with his calling Jimmy G out for being injured and then contorting yourself to explain how Mike White isn’t really injury prone

Look it up.  Some of the Patriots were pissed.  The year Brady was suspended.  Jimmy G started and had a sprained AC joint week 2,  so they started Brissett.  Brissett tore ligaments in his thumb and Garoppolo was expected back and practiced.  Then right before the game he pulled out and Brissett had to start.  I know Edelman and Martellus Bennett ripped him and called him a puss.  Edelman flat out said it.  There is some other ex Pat ranting about it during a halftime show in some youtube clip I watched last week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Look it up.  Some of the Patriots were pissed.  The year Brady was suspended.  Jimmy G started and had a sprained AC joint week 2,  so they started Brissett.  Brissett tore ligaments in his thumb and Garoppolo was expected back and practiced.  Then right before the game he pulled out and Brissett had to start.  I know Edelman and Martellus Bennett ripped him and called him a puss.  Edelman flat out said it.  There is some other ex Pat ranting about it during a halftime show in some youtube clip I watched last week. 

Wow, guess I missed that one.

Most shocking part is we’ve all been conditioned into thinking that pet of Belichicks success is due to the tight ship he runs.  Tht he, his coach’s, his assistants and players never talk and then you hear this kind of stuff

Thanks

On 1/30/2023 at 6:03 PM, choon328 said:

He probably won't have surgery for at least 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. 6 month recovery is if everything goes well with his rehab. 

The 49ers are SB contenders again next year. Lance looked awful in his only start this year...

13/28 164 yds 0 tds 1 int

I doubt they will go into the season with that much of a question mark at QB especially after what just happened to them in the NFC Championship game. 

That game was played in very heavy rain.  Don't read too much into his performance.

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wow, guess I missed that one.

Most shocking part is we’ve all been conditioned into thinking that pet of Belichicks success is due to the tight ship he runs.  Tht he, his coach’s, his assistants and players never talk and then you hear this kind of stuff

Thanks

Belichick's tight ship relates to helping the team.  Calling out a player - particularly one that was quickly traded  - for not playing hurt is probably something that gets the Belichick stamp of approval.

• Upvote 1

Ari Meirov @MySportsUpdate

#49ers QB Brock Purdy has not made a decision on whether he'll undergo a repair or reconstruction (Tommy John) for the elbow injury he suffered in the NFC Championship Game. Purdy told reporters he's awaiting second opinions and will weigh all his options before deciding.

11:16 AM · Feb 1, 2023

34 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So about Jimmy G staying in SF....

He would be the worst guy to trade for b/c he’s made of glass.  

At this point it’s hard to see a scenario where mike white doesn’t enter camp with a shot at starting unless the jets bid against themselves and throw a lot of draft capital to get someone. 

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan says the most encouraging thing he’s heard on Brock Purdy is if surgery is done, he’ll build up his arm strength from 3-6 months. By 6 months he’ll be “the same dude and ready to go.”