Following Disastrous 2022 on O-Line, Jets Should Consider Retaining a Healthy George Fant

JetNation

If you plan on sliding Becton to RT and bringing Brown back, I think you can maybe get away with waiting til the 2nd round to draft your future LT instead of doing it at #13.  Guys like Tyler Steen, Cody Mauch, Blake Freeland, Matthew Bergeron.  Have them slot in behind Brown for a few games or half the year, or maybe even the whole year, depending on how Brown is playing.  Use that 1st for a game breaker, whether a WR(Johnston) or TE(Kincaid) or LB(Simpson) or FS(Branch).  I wouldn't hate this route, so long as they feel confident in that group of 2nd rounders, as well as Brown's health.  

Will be interesting to see the route they go.  No matter what though, I think you'll need to bring back a guy like Ogbuehi on top of your draft pick to provide some depth in the event Brown gets banged up or Becton goes down again.  There needs to be some depth behind your top draft pick and Mitchell.  

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If you plan on sliding Becton to RT and bringing Brown back, I think you can maybe get away with waiting til the 2nd round to draft your future LT instead of doing it at #13.  Guys like Tyler Steen, Cody Mauch, Blake Freeland, Matthew Bergeron.  Have them slot in behind Brown for a few games or half the year, or maybe even the whole year, depending on how Brown is playing.  Use that 1st for a game breaker, whether a WR(Johnston) or TE(Kincaid) or LB(Simpson) or FS(Branch).  I wouldn't hate this route, so long as they feel confident in that group of 2nd rounders, as well as Brown's health.  

Will be interesting to see the route they go.  No matter what though, I think you'll need to bring back a guy like Ogbuehi on top of your draft pick to provide some depth in the event Brown gets banged up or Becton goes down again.  There needs to be some depth behind your top draft pick and Mitchell.  

#13 shouldn’t be accounted for anything other than addressing QB. 

Just pretend like they don’t have it.

44 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I think it’s a hurdle, not a deal breaker.

IMO the bigger question is do you bring back McGovern or not. He didn’t miss a snap, but at what price? Would you rather give Browns money to McGovern and only be out a LT?

Realistically the Jets need a LT and C.

Connor McGovern never lived up to his contract. Being available is not the same as being good 

Where are they getting a starting LT when they are trading the pick for Rodgers? 

The whole thing is poorly planned 

One of the best ways to have a great prospect Fall to you in the draft is not having a huge need at the position.

If a team loves a guy and think you will take him, they trade up in front of you, if they don't thnik you have a need and won't take him, bingo, the guy falls.

Us older guys well remember Atlanta trading up one pick in front of us in the 2nd Rd to take Bret Favre, had we not been known to NEED a QB there, Favre falls to us most probably, they knew we'd take him.

If you head into a draft good at a position, great likelihood is nobody jumps in front of you to take a guy you really like, so if Fant is very cheap for his position, why not?

Not like Mekhi is a sure thing anymore.

13 hours ago, JetNation said:

In the end, the Jets would go through Becton, Brown, George Fant, Max Mitchell, Alijah Vera Tucker who had moved over from guard, Cedric Ogbuehi, Conor McDermott and Mike Remmers.  That’s a total of eight offensive tackles playing significant snaps at one point or another.

Of that group, the only true tackle sure to return is Becton, whose injury woes are well documented. Brown, at his advance age, could consider retirement and Fant is due to become a free agent.  Vera-Tucker will likely move back to guard and the rest are already gone or likely to go.

@AFJF Why do you say the rest are already gone or likely to go?  Do you think Mitchell's medical is likely to keep him off the field?  If not, he is a lock to be back.  I'd have Ogbuehi back too to compete for depth, but that is besides the point.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Connor McGovern never lived up to his contract. Being available is not the same as being good 

Where are they getting a starting LT when they are trading the pick for Rodgers? 

It’s a good thing that contract is over then. Where are you even getting your McGovern grade?

No plan has even been rolled out yet. A reasonable resign on him and a OT in round 2 behind Brown is workable.

100%. I have no issue bringing back Fant in that backup role.  

To 'patch up' the O-line the Jets need:

1. To resign McGovern or bring in a starting C FA.

2. Re-sign Herbig so we have a legit interior o-lineman backup. Not a stiff like Feeney. 

3. Draft an OT in Rd. 1.

4. Sign an adequately priced backup swing tackle. 

To me, this is how we 'fix' or patch-up the o-line. And Fant could very well be that backup swing tackle. I just don't think he'll want to take backup $$, despite his dip in play and injuries since 2021. 

18 hours ago, bitonti said:

18 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

#13 shouldn’t be accounted for anything other than addressing QB. 

Just pretend like they don’t have it.

I highly doubt the Jets (or ANY team in the NFL) will be trading a 1st round pick (as high as 13 overall) for Rodgers. Who, no matter how good, is 38years old and would be a 2 year rental at most. It's just not happening. GB can ask or want whatever but in the end they won't get more than a 2nd rounder for Rodgers (maybe with certain stipulations?). 

So yes, the Jets will be able to draft a LT at 13 if they choose to go that route and someone they like is on the board. Even if they end up trading for Rodgers.  

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets offensive line is reason number 1 why Aaron Rodgers won't want to play here

Their tackle situation depends on Becton. Yikes. Brown is old hurt, one foot in retirement. they don't have a center under contract. 

George Fant was always overpaid and also a free agent. Nate Herbig is also a FA. 

and they don't have the cap room to sign a mcGlinchey. In fact they need the 1st round pick to have any chance at a decent line. But GBP will want that pick in a trade. 

Can’t mortgage the future for a 40 year old, quirky QB , who could retire after one season , mid season, who knows, stay the course, progress every season   Continue solid drafting and trading veterans for pucks and soon, you are a contender every season, not just 1 season, been there done that with the Big Tuna .

• Upvote 1

He was a huge liability this past year, before and after his injury.

The only reason you bring him back is if you are confident his knee wasn’t fully recovered BUT will be entering next year.  Thus you expect closer to the 2021 version of Fant.

Seems risky to me unless we are talking about tackle number #4 @ a corresponding pay rate.

Otherwise, you look to upgrade elsewhere because his play at the end of this year was no where good enough.

18 hours ago, bitonti said:

Agreed on both points. This year's 1st rounder is prime LT territory. Oh but they need a QB so there goes that pick.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

One of the best ways to have a great prospect Fall to you in the draft is not having a huge need at the position.

If a team loves a guy and think you will take him, they trade up in front of you, if they don't thnik you have a need and won't take him, bingo, the guy falls.

Us older guys well remember Atlanta trading up one pick in front of us in the 2nd Rd to take Bret Favre, had we not been known to NEED a QB there, Favre falls to us most probably, they knew we'd take him.

If you head into a draft good at a position, great likelihood is nobody jumps in front of you to take a guy you really like, so if Fant is very cheap for his position, why not?

Not like Mekhi is a sure thing anymore.

The truth is you should have ALL of your positions pretty much covered before going into the draft. As a responsible GM, you can't go into the draft relying on NEED and assuming A. a specific prospect will be there for you (unless you are selecting #1 overall) and B. Said prospect can be an immediate NFL starter for your team. 

Obviously, sometimes teams go into the draft with 'holes' or weaknesses at certain positions which make it clear they will go that way in the draft. This is usually the case at QB. But usually GMs go into the draft giving themselves flexibility so they don't have to rely on need. 

15 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Can’t mortgage the future for a 40 year old, quirky QB , who could retire after one season , mid season, who knows, stay the course, progress every season   Continue solid drafting and trading veterans for pucks and soon, you are a contender every season, not just 1 season, been there done that with the Big Tuna .

To be fair, I don't think the Jets are 'mortgaging the future' by trading for Rodgers. Again, nobody is giving up a first rounder for him. Especially not JD. Nobody is giving up multiple first rounders. You are looking at a 2nd rounder at most + change at MOST. This is not 'mortgaging the future', its a move to see if you can make this an immediate playoff contender. With Rodgers, barring injuries, I don't see how the Jets miss the playoffs next year. And once you are in the playoffs, anything can happen. Especially with this caliber of defense. 

Yes, you lose a 2nd rounder and a 4th or 5th next year (whathaveyou). Yes, you now have a player that commands a much higher salary and you need to find cap for that (this can be done by a competent GM).

But A. its worth it to have a shot in 2023/2024 to win the whole goddamn thing. And B. you can continue to build your team through the draft. All of your other draft picks don't suddenly vanish. Heck, trade down and add some draft capital if you need more youth (although not nec. IMO).   

47 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I highly doubt the Jets (or ANY team in the NFL) will be trading a 1st round pick (as high as 13 overall) for Rodgers. Who, no matter how good, is 38years old and would be a 2 year rental at most. It's just not happening. GB can ask or want whatever but in the end they won't get more than a 2nd rounder for Rodgers (maybe with certain stipulations?). 

So yes, the Jets will be able to draft a LT at 13 if they choose to go that route and someone they like is on the board. Even if they end up trading for Rodgers.  

I’d want them to take an OT at 13. But I think when this is all said and done, they will end up dealing that pick. I think we agree to disagree here.

They could end up getting a 2nd or 3rd back but still giving up 13.

19 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

No, it doesn't. Our tackle situation depends on our GM who *must* address the position. Relying on Becton as a starter or backup is delusional. I hope he comes back and starts every game; hope is not a strategy. 

I honestly would be shocked if our first rd pick isn't an OT.

11 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

I’d want them to take an OT at 13. But I think when this is all said and done, they will end up dealing that pick. I think we agree to disagree here.

They could end up getting a 2nd or 3rd back but still giving up 13.

Asked this in another thread. But if gb is intent on trading Rodgers post 6/1 for cap reasons, then can we even give any 2023 picks in a trade?

45 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Agreed on both points. This year's 1st rounder is prime LT territory. Oh but they need a QB so there goes that pick.

Truth is I don't think Aaron Rodgers looks at the Jets roster and sees a contender. A guy who just wants to win doesn't join a last place team. Just because it happened once with Joe burrow 

8 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Asked this in another thread. But if gb is intent on trading Rodgers post 6/1 for cap reasons, then can we even give any 2023 picks in a trade?

It would be unwise to trade 2023 picks for a handshake deal in June

It's also risky from the Jets perspective to do nothing at qb until June, waiting for Godot. 

1 hour ago, Leftylarry said:

Problem is the less years left on a GM’s contract, the greater the divergence between short term and long term thinking.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:14 AM, bitonti said:

Truth is I don't think Aaron Rodgers looks at the Jets roster and sees a contender. A guy who just wants to win doesn't join a last place team. Just because it happened once with Joe burrow 

I think he sees Garrett Wilson and stops reading because he's good to go.

very good chance we will not have a 1st rd pick if we end up with rodgers.may not even have a 2nd!!!! not sure where all these high end lineman are coming from everbody keeps talking about.we are losing draft picks if we end up with carr or rodgers,there are many teams in the market for their services!!!

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think he sees Garrett Wilson and stops reading because he's good to go.

or he wants to go to vegas to reuinite with Davonte Adams 

garrett wilson is a very good player but he's not randy moss 

the Jets have like 5 very good players but real contenders have like 10 or 15 

On 1/31/2023 at 4:23 AM, JetNation said:

USATSI_16600818_168398080_lowres-scaled.

If the Jets took one thing away from this past season other than the importance of quality quarterback play, it should have been how fast things can spin out of control without depth along the offensive line.  Beleaguered by injuries, the Jets seemed to field a different offensive line combo every week in 2022.  Even if the team plans on taking a tackle with one of their to two picks this offseason, that won’t be enough.

The Jets were hit particularly hard at tackle where they lost starter Mekhi Becton before the season kicked off.  Becton’s replacement, Duane Brown then went down with an injury for several weeks before playing any meaningful snaps.  In the end, the Jets would go through Becton, Brown, George Fant, Max Mitchell, Alijah Vera Tucker who had moved over from guard, Cedric Ogbuehi, Conor McDermott and Mike Remmers.  That’s a total of eight offensive tackles playing significant snaps at one point or another.

Of that group, the only true tackle sure to return is Becton, whose injury woes are well documented. Brown, at his advance age, could consider retirement and Fant is due to become a free agent.  Vera-Tucker will likely move back to guard and the rest are already gone or likely to go.

With this being the case, the Jets should consider bringing Fant back on a team-friendly deal.  The tackle was hoping for a hefty pay raise after playing at a high level in 2021 but his injury ravaged season all but guarantees that won’t be happening.

If that means Fant, who has played both left and right tackle, can return as a backup at both spots, the Jets would be foolish not to consider it.

The post Following Disastrous 2022 on O-Line, Jets Should Consider Retaining a Healthy George Fant appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I disagree with your assessment 100%.  Fant underperformed last year, and he will demand $10M per year at a minimum.  He is not worth it.  Say goodbye to George Fant.  If we do keep him, then we are continuing to foster average play.  Average play gets you an average record, thus continuing to miss the playoffs.

Demand above average play, and Fant should be gone.  Now, if Fant wants to accept $4M per year as a backup, I could live with that.  I would prefer Fant gone, even at that price, because we still have Max Mitchell on his rookie deal, thus a cheaper alternative to Fant.  Any way you look at it, Fant will and should be gone.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:31 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I don't mind it, if he is cheap enough.  This is the kind of thing where I agree we should not be looking to pay him or lean on him as a starter, but next November when everybody is hurt we will be upset if we look around for what we should have done in March and say "Look, Fant is only getting $3M to start for the Ravens!"

First, Mitchell is sure to be back.  I agree we need lots of depth at OT.  My guess is the Jets will sign a tackle and draft one.  If Fant or Brown is available at $5MM or less, I would keep them.  Oboguehi, Remmers and similar should be re-signed.   

The first decision is whether management expects Becton back.  How does he look in rehab.  Could the say he is 350 with a straight face?

If Becton and Mitchell are back healthy, we need at least one more solid reserve who could slide in.  In this case, I would sign a tackle and draft one in the middle rounds.  In this scenario, a Brown or Fant could be an option if they sign for below $5MM.  This would afford them the luxury of signing or drafting a quality starter at center.

'If Becton is a big question, we need a starting tackle.  In this case, we need to draft one in the first 2 rounds and sign a qualified starter.  In this scenario, Fant or Brown should not be the option as a starter.  Because of cap restrictions, they may have to roll with McDermott at center.