KC "Tomahawk Chop" Chant vs. Fly Eagles

THE BARON

I cant think of any two team chants that I make me cringe more than the KC "Tomahawk Chop" chant and the "Fly Eagles, Fly" song.  

I find both annoying as well as lame.  At least with the Jets, Broncos and Packers, etc. chants, they are quick and to the point.  The KC and Eagles chants are not only lame, but the go on and on and on and on...  

And how does KC get away with the "Tomahawk Chop" ??? The media cops forced the team formerly known as the Redskins to change their name to the "Commanders".  Why no pressure on KC franchise to encourage the fans to cease and desist with what some viewers may see as an offensive characterization of native American culture ???

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 3

I don't even know what the fly eagles thing is but in this day and age I am totally shocked they get away with the tomahawk chop, let alone are allowed to keep their name as it is.  (And no I am not saying they need to change the name but our society has totally gone in that direction)

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

One obvious reason being that “redskins” is a slur and “chiefs” isn’t. But I’m sure that’ll eventually be forced to change, also.

Sidenote: as of a few years ago “redskins” was the most common team name of high schools on Native American reservations. But I suppose cultural appropriation comes into play.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

One obvious reason being that “redskins” is a slur and “chiefs” isn’t. But I’m sure that’ll eventually be forced to change, also.

Sidenote: as of a few years ago “redskins” was the most common team name of high schools on Native American reservations. But I suppose cultural appropriation comes into play.

the tomahawk chop is a silly characterization of the native American culture and people.  As if all they did was chop of scalps with a tomahawk. It is as much a slur as "redskin" 

good example of how complicated social politics and the media has gotten. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

the tomahawk chop is a silly characterization of the native American culture and people.  As if all they did was chop of scalps with a tomahawk. It is as much a slur as "redskin" 

good example of how complicated social politics and the media has gotten. 

Way I see it is if native populations don’t appreciate their symbols or characterizations thereof being used in such a manner, let them have it.

What I personally believe about it is irrelevant.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Is Indians a slur?

Even Chiefs will be looked at dimly sooner or later.  I can guarantee that especially with the chant.

• Upvote 3

I actually think the Chiefs moaning chant is kinda cool.
I don’t even remember what Fly Eagles Fly sounds like.
Sounds like something out of the cartoon show the Archie's ... Or grease the movie ... Total cringe

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Is Indians a slur?

Even Chiefs will be looked at dimly sooner or later.  I can guarantee that especially with the chant.

I’m definitely not the arbiter on this subject so I don’t know about “Indians,” but “redskins” doesn’t require any expertise to know it is a slur.

Yes, probably Chiefs will eventually need to change.

Didn't the Atlanta Braves have to do away with their tomahawk chop, chanting and drums? It gets a bit much, but at least be consistent. Weird that the Indians had to change to the Guardians. I get the symbol could be seen as stereotypical but they could have changed that. Ah, indians. Forgot it should be Native Americans. Anyway, Guardians is lame. What are they guarding? It's Ohio. More appropriate would be the Cleveland Obesity 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetsons said:

WOKEISM SHOULD BE BANNED, 

Depends on what "wokeism" is defined as.  

If it is people coming to a realization that some folks have been treated badly and because of that, they become more understanding, wokeism is a good thing.  There is a practical sincerity to that and I think it is good.

If it is all consuming attention given to progressive ideals to the point of being senseless and backwards, it is a bad thing.  In that case, it is vapid social politics that usually involves people that have not been practically mistreated in any way making specious accusations against good people that have not given any offense.  It is almost always applied to advance a political agenda.  Some of the people that are drunk on wokeism don't even have a political or social ideology of any kind.  They can be people that don't have a lot going on in their life and are reaching for an established gambit to gain significance.

So... It depends.  If it is honest, constructive  "wokeism"  it is good.  If it is the later, it is a menace. 

6 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Didn't the Atlanta Braves have to do away with their tomahawk chop, chanting and drums? It gets a bit much, but at least be consistent. Weird that the Indians had to change to the Guardians. I get the symbol could be seen as stereotypical but they could have changed that. Ah, indians. Forgot it should be Native Americans. Anyway, Guardians is lame. What are they guarding? It's Ohio. More appropriate would be the Cleveland Obesity 

I went to a couple of Mets vs. Braves games in Atlanta this past year.  The chop is still huge there, and accompanied by the chant and flashing stadium lights. Might have been drum sounds over the PA, but the crowd was chanting pretty loudly.  IIRC they did it a lot when the Braves were rallying, during Mets pitching changes, etc.

My wife and I cringed in our seats.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I went to a couple of Mets vs. Braves games in Atlanta this past year.  The chop is still huge there, and accompanied by the chant and flashing stadium lights. Might have been drum sounds over the PA, but the crowd was chanting pretty loudly.  IIRC they did it a lot when the Braves were rallying, during Mets pitching changes, etc.

It's really shocking this behavior exists in Georgia.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Perhaps the ballet is more up your alley

• Haha 1