Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 rankings

bonkertons

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d be okay rolling the dice because it’d be fun to think of this team as competitive and I think it’d give a good window into how much QB play impacts things, but I can’t shake the idea that it’ll turn into an absolute disaster.

It could turn into a disaster.  But I do think we have a ~2 year window while these young guys are on cheap contracts so, if we're ever going to roll the dice for 2 years, this would be the time.

I agree it would be difficult to win it all due to all these talented QBs in the AFC.  But since these star AFC QBs are so young, it's highly likely that things aren't going to be any easier 2 years from now (when we do have to pay our young guys).

The counter-argument is that the Eagles don't have a star QB in Hurts, yet they're the favorites in the SB (at least right now).  Ftr, I think the Chiefs are going to win.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It could turn into a disaster.  But I do think we have a ~2 year window while these young guys are on cheap contracts so, if we're ever going to roll the dice for 2 years, this would be the time.

I agree it would be difficult to win it all due to all these talented QBs in the AFC.  But since these star AFC QBs are so young, it's highly likely that things aren't going to be any easier 2 years from now (when we do have to pay our young guys).

The counter-argument is that the Eagles don't have a star QB in Hurts, yet they're the favorites in the SB (at least right now).  Ftr, I think the Chiefs are going to win.

Yeah I think it’s fine, it’s just that while it’s a nice opportunity to go for it, it’s also a nice opportunity to try to build something sustainable. 

I’ll do the Hurts point next, which is that he’s on a rookie deal. One of the absolute best ways to win a Super Bowl is with a QB on a rookie deal and a remaining roster that’s loaded. Rookie QB’s on good rosters often look better than they are. Wentz and Goff had awesome runs on rookie deals. It’s a big part of why I felt this past season was so damning for Wilson. 

That gets back to why I think the young guy is my lean. At least in the AFC, those other young QB’s will be on second deals which just gives the Jets a different crack at how to win it. And the best way to compete with those teams long term would be to have a comparable quarterback.

All that said I do get the Rodgers appeal, your Hurts comment just spurred the thought.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah I think it’s fine, it’s just that while it’s a nice opportunity to go for it, it’s also a nice opportunity to try to build something sustainable. 

I’ll do the Hurts point next, which is that he’s on a rookie deal. One of the absolute best ways to win a Super Bowl is with a QB on a rookie deal and a remaining roster that’s loaded. Rookie QB’s on good rosters often look better than they are. Wentz and Goff had awesome runs on rookie deals. It’s a big part of why I felt this past season was so damning for Wilson. 

That gets back to why I think the young guy is my lean. At least in the AFC, those other young QB’s will be on second deals which just gives the Jets a different crack at how to win it. And the best way to compete with those teams long term would be to have a comparable quarterback.

All that said I do get the Rodgers appeal, your Hurts comment just spurred the thought.

I agree with your point re the rookie QB deal, but the Jets are kinda in limbo there right now. Obviously Wilson hasn’t panned out, but do we really want to roll the dice on QB in this draft? I think the OL issues are going to be difficult to overcome for a young QB, I’d rather try to fix the OL this year, get a vet in at QB for 1-2 years and try to trade up for someone in next year’s class.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree with your point re the rookie QB deal, but the Jets are kinda in limbo there right now. Obviously Wilson hasn’t panned out, but do we really want to roll the dice on QB in this draft? I think the OL issues are going to be difficult to overcome for a young QB, I’d rather try to fix the OL this year, get a vet in at QB for 1-2 years and try to trade up for someone in next year’s class.

We have tried the rookie QB thing for 12 years and the results have somehow gotten progressively worse with each QB.  Time to change things up and get a vet in here.  I thik it has been very hard to judge the OL given the horrific level of QB play.  And how good can Moore be with a solid QB. 

With the 13th pick, we are not going to be in position to take Young or Stroud without giving up a ton of picks.  I doubt Levis or Richardson will have an immediate impact as a starter, and even those guys could be off the board by 13.  If we are going to have to give up picks, I would rather do it to get a guy like Rodgers for a year or two, and turn the team over to a young QB in 2025,

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

We have tried the rookie QB thing for 12 years and the results have somehow gotten progressively worse with each QB.  Time to change things up and get a vet in here.  I thik it has been very hard to judge the OL given the horrific level of QB play.  And how good can Moore be with a solid QB. 

With the 13th pick, we are not going to be in position to take Young or Stroud without giving up a ton of picks.  I doubt Levis or Richardson will have an immediate impact as a starter, and even those guys could be off the board by 13.  If we are going to have to give up picks, I would rather do it to get a guy like Rodgers for a year or two, and turn the team over to a young QB in 2025,

Caleb, Drake or Quinn. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Caleb, Drake or Quinn. 

This is why I am okay giving up picks in this draft, but I want to keep our full allotment of picks in 24 and 25.  Need all of our picks if we need to get creative and go get someone who may be dropping.  I am already resigned to the fact that we are trading this year's 1.  I really want to make sure we keep next year's picks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Me liking Richardson really colors my perspective. Best QB’s in the league, Burrow aside, are freaks with feel who didn’t go at the very top of the draft but had time to sit and then went into good situations.

Richardson is a freak with feel, Jets are mid first and teetering on the edge of being a good situation. Can take him at 13 without giving up an arm and a leg, continue building out the OL after that and next year, sign a Jacoby Brissett for 2/$20M and tell him he’s starting at least one year. 

Spend this year installing the system and let the offense with Brissett dictate what needs to be built up next offseason. Gives you a whole year to dry run what should be a decent group and see what needs to be cleaned up, which can be attacked the following offseason without impacting Richardson’s development.

Going OL outside the first isn’t ideal but there’s a very real chance they miss on the top three tackles anyway, this iOL class isn’t awesome at the top, and it seems like a lot of the class is going to have pretty wide ranges so they should be able to nab guys they like later. Can get a cheap vet center and let him compete with a fourth round center and add a big bodied WR and a tackle to compete with Brown/Becton/Mitchell day two. Or punt on the WR and draft the center earlier. Any line issues will be Brissett’s problem and they have another draft to clean up there, WR, etc. The offense definitely isn’t there yet but it’s closer than it’s been in some time.

To me that’s the nicest way to build and best way to bring along a QB - you’re able to evaluate the offense without worrying about the young QB and then once it’s ready for it’s also easier to evaluate him relative to the guy who preceded him.

Feel like it’s the nicest move for long term success, but it only works if you think you can work with the QB. If Richardson’s there at 13 I think he works. Love Maye and Williams but I don’t think the Jets will be in position to draft them in 2024 and they’d have to give up an arm and a leg to get there. It’s doable but I just think if the opportunity is there this year you take it.

17 minutes ago, derp said:

Me liking Richardson really colors my perspective. Best QB’s in the league, Burrow aside, are freaks with feel who didn’t go at the very top of the draft but had time to sit and then went into good situations.

Richardson is a freak with feel, Jets are mid first and teetering on the edge of being a good situation. Can take him at 13 without giving up an arm and a leg, continue building out the OL after that and next year, sign a Jacoby Brissett for 2/$20M and tell him he’s starting at least one year. 

Spend this year installing the system and let the offense with Brissett dictate what needs to be built up next offseason. Gives you a whole year to dry run what should be a decent group and see what needs to be cleaned up, which can be attacked the following offseason without impacting Richardson’s development.

Going OL outside the first isn’t ideal but there’s a very real chance they miss on the top three tackles anyway, this iOL class isn’t awesome at the top, and it seems like a lot of the class is going to have pretty wide ranges so they should be able to nab guys they like later. Can get a cheap vet center and let him compete with a fourth round center and add a big bodied WR and a tackle to compete with Brown/Becton/Mitchell day two. Or punt on the WR and draft the center earlier. Any line issues will be Brissett’s problem and they have another draft to clean up there, WR, etc. The offense definitely isn’t there yet but it’s closer than it’s been in some time.

To me that’s the nicest way to build and best way to bring along a QB - you’re able to evaluate the offense without worrying about the young QB and then once it’s ready for it’s also easier to evaluate him relative to the guy who preceded him.

Feel like it’s the nicest move for long term success, but it only works if you think you can work with the QB. If Richardson’s there at 13 I think he works. Love Maye and Williams but I don’t think the Jets will be in position to draft them in 2024 and they’d have to give up an arm and a leg to get there. It’s doable but I just think if the opportunity is there this year you take it.

This all makes a lot of sense if you are pro Richardson. I don't know whether I am or not yet, I have to watch more of him. 

If the Jets made a move for Richardson, the team would need to get rid of Zach immediately, it would be too much of a sh!tstorm. 

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

This all makes a lot of sense if you are pro Richardson. I don't know whether I am or not yet, I have to watch more of him. 

If the Jets made a move for Richardson, the team would need to get rid of Zach immediately, it would be too much of a sh!tstorm. 

I'm no high end evaluator, I think I'm better at macro prospect stuff than micro stuff. So to me when you look over the last couple decades of QB's - ceiling and situation are the name of the game.

Opinions seem to be mixed on Richardson, but it doesn't seem to be mixed he's got the highest ceiling in the draft. Jets have a young #1 receiver for the first time in forever, lots of pieces in the passing game, and some talented young OL. 

If you can get that ceiling at #13 I think you do it. I doubt they take him, but it'd be pretty rough to watch them pass and see him become a star elsewhere. It's happened before when they were borderline on needing a QB or straight up needed a QB and I could absolutely see it happening again.

And kind of like I got at in my prior post - either Williams/Maye fall off or they're going 1/2 next year and it's going to take a truckload of capital to go get one of those guys. Nice they like the class, but I don't think they anticipate drafting that high so I'm not sure there's a path there. Even moreso if they trade for Rodgers.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

With their first pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the New York Jets Select:

Aaron Rodgers from the Green Bay Packers.

I am resigned to the fact that we will not have a first round pick this year.   If we don't use it to acquire Carr or Rodgers, then we use it to bring in a top WR.  There has been some rumor that Tee Higgns may become available.  Add him to G Wilson and Elijah Moore and Jimmy G/Tannehilll/Brissett/White/Minshew is that much more effective.

I really think our 1 is going to be traded, just not sure for whom yet.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am resigned to the fact that we will not have a first round pick this year.   If we don't use it to acquire Carr or Rodgers, then we use it to bring in a top WR.  There has been some rumor that Tee Higgns may become available.  Add him to G Wilson and Elijah Moore and Jimmy G/Tannehilll/Brissett/White/Minshew is that much more effective.

I really think our 1 is going to be traded, just not sure for whom yet.

What are your thoughts on Kelee Ringo? DJ could see him as a S. Know anybody who could use a S??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

What are your thoughts on Kelee Ringo? DJ could see him as a S. Know anybody who could use a S??

Good athlete.  I expect him to show great straight line speed, but struggle with agility at the combine.  Kind of stiff and will struggle with quicker, receivers in the NFL.  You want him to cover a speed guy on a go route, he will be great, but he lacks the quickness you want out of an NFL corner.  Good ball skills have overshadowed some of his limitations.  He got beat.  A lot.  When we struggled against both LSU and Ohio State in the last month of the season.  I don't think he should be a first rounder, nor do I see him as an option for us, even on day 2.  Too many other needs to pick a CB high this season.

Edit -- just saw your suggestion of him at S.  That could be interesting.  But only on day 2 if he drops.  Not at 13.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, C Mart said:

Daniel Jeremiah's top 150 prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft class

April 24, 2023

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-150-prospects-in-the-2023-nfl-draft-class

Has Addison over JSN. I like both. People might be sleeping on Addison alittle. Seems like another legit slot weapon. Definitely has some wiggle and speed. Jets should consider him at 15.