Schefter: Sean Payton Expected to go to Denver

Lith

33 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I would’ve made this deal in a heartbeat. Pick 13 and next years 2nd. And get a 3rd back in 24. I would’ve had no problem sh*t canning Saleh for the same deal.

I am with you on that.  That price to transform the Jets culture and offensively would have been worth it.  Maybe he figures out Zippy.  

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Payton is no sure thing.  

Yes, he is.  SEE:  Teddy Bridgewater and Jameis Winston's numbers when paired with Payton.

He's overseen 7 of the top 35 offenses in NFL history, by yardage, including the # 1 all-time (2011).  That isn't fully a credit to Drew Brees.

Love how so many here are quick to sh*t on Sean Payton when a lot of those same folks think Jets QB's here were largely "failed" by poor coaching.  I guess coaching only matters in certain circumstances.  

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he is.  SEE:  Teddy Bridgewater and Jameis Winston's numbers when paired with Payton.

He's overseen 7 of the top 35 offenses in NFL history, by yardage, including the # 1 all-time (2011).  That isn't fully a credit to Drew Brees.

Love how so many here are quick to sh*t on Sean Payton when a lot of those same folks think Jets QB's here were largely "failed" by poor coaching.  I guess coaching only matters in certain circumstances.  

Saying he is not a sure thing is sh*tting on him?  I know your world is totally back and white you either lover or hate every thing but not for most people.  He is the guy that thought taysom hill was the answer at QB and gave him huge dollars.  He has a Rodgers liker resume, one super bowl and a lot of ultimate failure when it counts later in his career.

Good coach?  Yes for sure and good connections to get a good staff as well.  Better than what the Jets have?  For sure.

Overall?   Not a sure thing.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

That Hall of Fame QB wasn’t a Hall of Fame QB until he played for Payton. He was a castoff, actually.

Also, one is in his prime, the other is in the twilight of his career. 

Last, one counts against the salary cap, one doesn’t. 

He wasn’t a castoff. He beat out Rivers in consecutive years to start. Then even after a bad shoulder injury, Chargers offered him top QB money to stay. But it had a heavy incentive component to protect the team in case the shoulder wasn’t right. Brees rejected it for a more traditional contract from a desperate NO team, and because he didn’t want to deal with Rivers breathing down his neck. Obviously in hindsight this appears to have been a very wise choice.

Brees and Payton were obviously symbiotic and benefitted greatly from each other but Brees wasn’t some work-a-day schlub that Payton plucked off the trash heap, shined up, and presto a FQB from garbage.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He also has some absurd winning % in games Brees missed during his long tenure in NO

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Surprised the Broncos have any picks left to send to NO after the Russ deal last year.  I have a pretty good idea who the last team to be taken will be in our mock draft this year.

They have Miami's.. which if somehow, Fangio ended up ditching the Dolphins to go back to the Broncos as DC.. would be hilarious.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's amazing to me that so many people would rather maintain this continuous loop of people running the Jets that have never done anything and confidently dismissing those that have. It's like some actually enjoy the losing and don't ever want the Jets to be taken seriously in the NFL.

Three years from now there will be threads monthly lamenting passing on this opportunity (as our latest and greatest defensive coordinator first time head coach is wrapping up his second 5 win season.

• Post of the Week 2

Just now, JetPotato said:

It's amazing to me that so many people would rather maintain this continuous loop of people running the Jets that have never done anything and confidently dismissing those that have. It's like some actually enjoy the losing and don't ever want the Jets to be taken seriously in the NFL.

“Want to go to prom with me?”

”Sorry, someone already asked me.”

”Well %*#^ you, as if I’d want to go with you anyway you trashy slag!”

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Saying he is not a sure thing is sh*tting on him?  I know your world is totally back and white you either lover or hate every thing but not for most people.  He is the guy that thought taysom hill was the answer at QB and gave him huge dollars.  He has a Rodgers liker resume, one super bowl and a lot of ultimate failure when it counts later in his career.

Good coach?  Yes for sure and good connections to get a good staff as well.  Better than what the Jets have?  For sure.

Overall?   Not a sure thing.

I feel like fans are not understanding how hard it is to win a superbowl lol.
Using “1 Super Bowl” as if it’s a knock. The list is extremely limited. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35564875/sources-broncos-finalizing-deal-saints-sean-payton

"This was the opportunity I was looking for," Payton told NOLA.com on Tuesday.

"It's a great fanbase and great tradition," he added. "The ownership group is fantastic, and I love the way they competed in some of their games last year. It's a good football city that we had in New Orleans."

I'd venture a guess that Payton went to Denver because they showed they were willing to make big bets to try to win and promised him the power to make all the decisions he wants. 

If the Broncos were trying to land Rodgers with Hackett, maybe they think Payton gets it done. I'm not sure what they have left to trade GB though.

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

That Hall of Fame QB wasn’t a Hall of Fame QB until he played for Payton. He was a castoff, actually.

This is a bit of an oversimplification - Brees had a pro bowl caliber year in 2004 with Marty S. The main concern with Brees before he hooked up with Payton was his health. He had already established that he could play. 

Obviously, Payton took him to new heights 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Not so sure you can say that about Bree’s. He had a couple of really good seasons for the chargers. And he made the pro bowl. They just decided to go with rivers.

2021 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    9-8-0    0-0
2020 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    12-4-0    1-1
2019 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    13-3-0    0-1
2018 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    13-3-0    1-1
2017 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    11-5-0    1-1
2016 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    7-9-0    0-0
2015 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    7-9-0    0-0
2014 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    7-9-0    0-0
2013 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    11-5-0    1-1
2011 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    13-3-0    1-1
2010 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    11-5-0    0-1
2009 New Orleans Saints    Head Coach    13-3-0    3-0