Mike Francesa thinks the Jets should get Rodjizz and talks Jets stadium

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

The West Side Stadium would have been far more lucrative than a stadium in Queens. I don't blame him for trying to make west side happen. 

The Jets can exit Metlife in 2025 so maybe the team will find a NY address in a couple years. 

Mike doesn’t think that will happen. 

3 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

The West Side Stadium would have been far more lucrative than a stadium in Queens. I don't blame him for trying to make west side happen. 

The Jets can exit Metlife in 2025 so maybe the team will find a NY address in a couple years. 

FWIW, Francesa says it won’t happen because the residents don’t want it, particularly on the West Side. Woody should have thrown in with the Wilpons and moved the Jets to Queens while the offer and money were still out there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I'd love to see this but I don't think it will happen. The agreement between the Jets and Giants makes too much sense financially. Doubt Woody wants to double his operating cost and compete for shows/events. 

Queens was very actively discussed at the time, but Woody made it blatantly obvious he had zero interest from day one.  It was either West Side for the additional profitability that only existed there, or save a ton of money and stay in the Meadowlands.  Nothing else was ever considered.

At this point, there's no business motivation to go anywhere anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

He's dead now but you can thank that dirt bag, Silver for killing that dream.

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

If they were planning on exiting MetLife in 2025, the new location would have to be approved already.  I don't know if Woody has the same drive or motivation to get something going again.  Sheldon Silver did a number on them back then.

This.  Between site selection, design, approval and construction, my guess is it would be at least a 5 year process.  At least. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

The way the city has been post-Covid (disaster) the city needs something to bring people in and create some sort of commerce.

The stadium would create jobs and (union jobs) so I can’t see the same sort of resistance as last time given unemployment rates and the economy as a whole. People need work and money.

If they’re smart they plan this with an eye to build venues next to the stadium for the now legal sports gambling world in NY.

They can expand the ferry systems and with the new infrastructure bill signed for the Hudson Tunnel there will be plenty of options for the Jersey crowd to get to the stadium.

The millionaires on the West side don't care about any of that they don't want a stadium and sports betting sites in their area.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Queens was very actively discussed at the time, but Woody made it blatantly obvious he had zero interest from day one.  It was either West Side for the additional profitability that only existed there, or save a ton of money and stay in the Meadowlands.  Nothing else was ever considered.

At this point, there's no business motivation to go anywhere anytime soon.

The state also wanted a stadium in Manhattan for the Olympic bid

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, undertow said:

The millionaires on the West side don't care about any of that they don't want a stadium and sports betting sites in their area.

They do now with the city crumbling economically. They need something to keep their property value up. 

Everyones leaving the city (big businesses) and the city needs something to keep it alive.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

He's dead now but you can thank that dirt bag, Silver for killing that dream.

The West Side stadium was part of a bid to win the Olympics.  There would have been huge subsidies by the State and CIty including lots of bonds to help build the stadium.  Woody was never building this without a huge public commitment that the Olympic bid provided.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

The west side is out of the question now.  Hudson Yards is there to stay.  What they could do if Woody wants to spend $$$$$$$ is make Manhattan bigger.  Something like Battery Park.  A big landfill someplace that extends the size of Manhattan.  Then you can plop a stadium on it.    Any way you slice it, MetLife is a dog and they need their own stadium that has some real life to it instead of that big, vapid gray cash register that is MetLife