Q: What happens if we get Rogers, and he quickly retires

HighPitch

No trade will occur without Rodgers committing to playing this year. In a hypothetical world where he accepted the trade and his option bonus then changed his mind in June and decided to retire, we would lose the pick sent in 2023 and Rodgers would have to return the option money. If he played for one year then retired next year, I would expect the Jets would protect themselves by making the 2024 draft pick conditional

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Do we lose our draft compensation to green bay?

asking for a friend..,,

Then a bunch of people who were afraid of this get to win at Internets. :) 

Also it's not happening. Nobody forgoes a $60MM payday to do the one thing in this life he's great at, in the remaining couple opportunities to perform this perishable skill that'll be perished before he knows it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Do we lose our draft compensation to green bay?

asking for a friend..,,

I'd think any trade that the Jets agree to will have conditions attached, should Rodgers retire before playing a game (or retiring after 1 season). I think a fair deal can be worked out that gives GB fair compensation for Rodgers, but also which offers some protection to the Jets should Rodgers not be on the team.

Bigger question - what if we trade away draft picks to get Rodgers and he just tears apart the team, sucks, just doesn't care, or worse tries really hard and we still don't make the playoffs? Then we are stuck with a 40 million/year aging QB, holes on team due to lost picks and no cap. Then we could look forward to yet another rebuild.