Mike White's salary forecast

Bronx

11 hours ago, Barton said:

Name the jets QB under age 30 in the last 10 years who had games as good as Mike White did. Let’s hear it. 

Fitzpatrick was better than white and he caused constant migraines yes he was over 30, but what are the other options? Darnold and Zach? They were both trash. Darnold was probably better than white too 

6 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Fitzpatrick was better than white and he caused constant migraines yes he was over 30, but what are the other options? Darnold and Zach? They were both trash. Darnold was probably better than white too 

Why even mention fitz when I said over 30? Futz had like 6+ years of starting experience before coming to the jets, as well. Darnold was mostly terrible and never had games as good as Whites best games, IMO

• Thumb Down 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, Beerfish said:

Very well for a decent chunk?

1-3 with the one win being over the bears without their starter.  0 tds and 4 ints in the last 3 games all crucial playoff potential games.

'Starter' for the jets = 3rd stringer for most teams over the years.

He might get a 2nd string gig for another team but not the jets next year, whether anyone likes it or not.

I respect your take. And, you very well could be right. I have no clue what this team is going to do. Personally, I don't feel strongly enough either way that I'm going to pissed at either outcome. To me, he was clearly the best QB on the team last year and I'd wouldn't be upset if they paid him enough to keep him another year to compete with someone that's not yet on the team. I do think we make the playoffs had he not gotten hurt. Obv, I could be wrong. 

In the end, I'm so blah with this team right now that I'm not going to be emotionally invested either way. Zach being a complete bust really f'ed us and now we have some talent on the roster, but no QB and I can't really see a solution to that this year. 

On 2/1/2023 at 3:20 PM, Maxman said:

5 million for a backup with his upside, that's a bargain.

I'd bring him back in a second at that price.

Yeah me too. It’s basically playoffs or bust for this regime. If their new vet QB goes down for a significant number of games they are probably screwed anyway but MW has shown he can come in a steal some wins here and there. It won’t be an instant-L if the starter misses a game or two. Every game will likely be important next year for JD and Saleh.

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Why even mention fitz when I said over 30? Futz had like 6+ years of starting experience before coming to the jets, as well. Darnold was mostly terrible and never had games as good as Whites best games, IMO

Why even say under 30? It’s not like there’s a large sample size. You are just trying to make it fit your narrative. The only other 2 besides MW are Darnold and Zach. Bryce petty also maybe? 

46 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why even say under 30? It’s not like there’s a large sample size. You are just trying to make it fit your narrative. The only other 2 besides MW are Darnold and Zach. Bryce petty also maybe? 

Jesus. Because young QBs are lacking experience that’s why. Graded on different curve.   White has like 8 career starts and we are comparing to a 34 year old Fitz who had 6-10 years of starting experience before arriving. I’m out.

• Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, Barton said:

Jesus. Because young QBs are lacking experience that’s why. Graded on different curve.   White has like 8 career starts and we are comparing to a 34 year old Fitz who had 6-10 years of starting experience before arriving. I’m out.

So now you made it so he can ONLY be compared to 2 or 3 other qbs who are well known to be complete dumpster fires. Way to really make a point my dude. You know there are hundreds of other qbs out there who have started over the past 10 years, but now for some reason we’re narrowing it down to less than a handful to make your boy look decent (which he wasn’t) 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Flashlite80 said:

So Minshew was at $2.5 million as the Eagles backup in 2022.  

Cimini, is as clueless as they come and is most likely being used (properly) by MW's camp to push up his price because there is simply no way on earth that mike white is making $8 million per year.  Looking at veterans as a comparison:

• Mitch Trubisky: $7.4 million
  • Teddy Bridgewater:  $6.5 million
  • Jacoby Brisset: $4.6 million

Even Taylor Heinicke who is considered a better player, was on a 2 year deal that paid about $3 million per season.  

Personally im starting to feel that Carr will wind up in Carolina and we will be looking at Minshew at 2 years $10 million, which isnt bad but also is obviously not great. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Geno Smith Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington are all Jet QBs under 30 in the past 30 years to add on the other 2

ALL had games as good as Can White and most had games BETTER ????

literally every player this bozo brought up had games as good as Can White

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

Geno Smith Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington are all Jet QBs under 30 in the past 30 years to add on the other 2

ALL had games as good as Can White and most had games BETTER ????

literally every player this bozo brought up had games as good as Can White

The desperation of people to scrape the bottom on the barrel to say MW isn’t bad is hilarious. He had 2 good games and what 6 or so bad ones? Plus he’s consistently hurt and was tossed around like a piece of trash for years and no one else wanted him besides the franchise with the worst qb history maybe ever 

• Sympathy 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:17 AM, Creepy Lurker said:

White was a dumpster fire? He didn’t seize the moment despite flashing but lost close games to 2 of the better teams in the league. He looked amazing against Chicago but that was a horrible team. He was trash playing with injured ribs and a team that already mailed it in. Still inconclusive with White but it’s on him to not have made a definitive statement with his opportunity. 

Unfair to hold performances against him after his ribs were destroyed.  Crushed the Bears.  Should have beat the Vikings if Berrios holds that ball.  Consider he played behind the second and third backups on several o-line spots and was under constant pressure.

I think White is a solid #2, but anything north of $4MM is too much.  Backups making more than that are viable starters in case of injury.  Many other competent #2's made less than $4MM in 2022.

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:56 AM, bonkertons said:

This is why I don't understand when people list their fantasy depth chart next year as:

1. New expensive QB

2. Proven backup

3. Zach

Like we can afford this...Zach taking up $10M as the #3.  Our #1 will be making $15M if it's Rodgers, and probably $25M+ if it's anyone else.  Then add in a "good" backup which will probably make the kind of money you're seeing in the OP, I just don't see how that's possible at all.  Especially if we're going to try to address the other holes on this team like OL and S.  Also remember if it's Rodgers, we're missing draft capital.  We're going to have to pay UFAs to fill these spots.  

Zach will be the #2 next year, without a doubt.  Rodgers 1, Zach 2, and Flacco-type wash up or late-round draft pick as the 3.  

And after 2 years with Rodgers, you have $65MM of dead cap wiping out any spending in the next 2 years.  That after weaker drafts because of what had to be traded, leaves you with 2 years with an aging quarterback and back to the cellar.

Rodgers only makes sense if he is the last piece to a Super Bowl run.  If Tua comes back, we still might be the third best team in the AL East.

And after 2 years with Rodgers, you have $65MM of dead cap wiping out any spending in the next 2 years.  That after weaker drafts because of what had to be traded, leaves you with 2 years with an aging quarterback and back to the cellar.

Rodgers only makes sense if he is the last piece to a Super Bowl run.  If Tua comes back, we still might be the third best team in the AL East.

I'm on the same page, but really only if Rodgers costs us a 1st of any kind.  I think the potential reward of the next two seasons would make it worth the trade if it's only a 2nd and 3rd or something along those lines.  Plus you can spread out his remaining cap hit after retirement for two seasons I believe, which makes it a little easier to manage.  We might end up having to trade a guy like Breece(which I might lean towards doing anyway when his contract is up since I'm not big on paying RBs a ton of money - would rather just try to replace him with a kid from the draft at that point) and maybe Moore at worst.  Everyone else you should be able to lock up without a problem.

But yeah, my preference is still going to be Jimmy I think.  Even with the injury concerns.  Costs us no picks, should be able to bring in on a short term deal, and he'll be much cheaper than Carr and even Rodgers in the long run.  Leaves the window open for Zach and if he doesn't work out, we can look to get our next QB of the future in '24.  

Rodgers only makes sense if he is the last piece to a Super Bowl run.  If Tua comes back, we still might be the third best team in the AL East. *AFC EAST*

Remember that the salary cap is going up every year. JD has two years to get out Cap Space in order. That could be getting rid of bad contracts or renegotiating existing ones.

If the Saints were able to pay Brees, We can fit Rodgers dead $ into the ‘25 season by many means.

image.thumb.png.9415ec4049750a89e5ed237e9628011d.png