The Rodgers / Carr Conundrum. Small Window of Opportunity

32EBoozer

JD could be left at the altar if he doesn’t figure out which QB he wants to target.

The Carr scenario could be completed a few days after the SB. If JD pins all his hopes on a space cadet named Rodgers, whose decisions change hourly, you miss out on Carr.

Hackett does not guarantee AR. If reports are correct that JD is putting an aggressive trade package together for AR he better have a handshake deal completed this week with AR blessing. If GB is stringing this thing along JD needs to refocus on Carr or Jimmy G. quickly. Agents know that the last of the top 3 Qb can optimize their financial demands. I hope JD doesn’t end up looking like a fool.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh and Matt LaFleur are best friends. Hackett and Rodgers speak often. Rodgers is also a catty, me-first drama-queen mush hippie dickhole who’s going to make everyone sweat this out regardless. Whatever happens with Carr here will be in direct relation to whatever information they’ve compiled from LaFleur and Rodgers themselves, as opposed to flying blind through the agents. 

Maybe the “Man In Black” has some answers 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

JD could be left at the altar if he doesn’t figure out which QB he wants to target.

The Carr scenario could be completed a few days after the SB. If JD pins all his hopes on a space cadet named Rodgers, whose decisions change hourly, you miss out on Carr.

Hackett does not guarantee AR. If reports are correct that JD is putting an aggressive trade package together for AR he better have a handshake deal completed this week with AR blessing. If GB is stringing this thing along JD needs to refocus on Carr or Jimmy G. quickly. Agents know that the last of the top 3 Qb can optimize their financial demands. I hope JD doesn’t end up looking like a fool.

Carr will be released, and his agent should want as many teams he can get involved in the negotiations. 

• Upvote 3

It’s a good topic.  Carr is going to move fast and  his ego (all QBs have them) will be part of his decision making process.

I mean it would be a tough pull as is, but who really wants to be part of the Jets as a consolation prize.  Some prize?!  Lol.

Jets need to keep a lid on the Rodgers interest for this type of reason alone and make their decision on a continued pursuit BY the Super Bowl so we don’t strike out on Carr and then are left on a hope and a prayer for Rodgers.

I’m wrong often but I’m 2 for 2 on my last organizational calls (starting White vs Chicago & moving on from LaFleur).

We’ll make it 3 for 3.  Jets will at the very least need an informal trade agreement in place AND a 2 year commitment from Rodgers within the next 2 weeks.  They must retain leverage to avoid getting fleeced on a trade should GB want to wait until after June 1 for cap reasons.  Otherwise, the trade comp might go up at a time they’ve already lost Carr and others.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Carr will be released, and his agent should want as many teams he can get involved in the negotiations. 

I don’t think Douglas can wait that long. I think Carr will look to find a warm weather stadium and the cost for Rogers Will go exponentially higher if we miss out on Carr. Glassman, Jimmy, G or Tannehill would be our last viable options. Unless you’re OK with Minishew?

• Upvote 1

We know Joe Douglas is good at liquidating as a seller, but still a lot of question marks for Joe as a buyer. My fingers are crossed he comes out of this quarterback market with Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Carr isn't good enough to worry about losing out on him

Really?  Negotiating leverage goes down if you have no other viable options.  Desperation is not a good thing.

I won’t even debate whether Carr is good or not, just the fact that he as an option is important as we put together the smartest deal for Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Really?  Negotiating leverage goes down if you have no other viable options.  Desperation is not a good thing.

I won’t even debate whether Carr is good or not, just the fact that he as an option is important as we put together the smartest deal for Rodgers.

It's only desperation if he's considered necessary. But I don't think he's good enough to be considered necessary. I rather go with White and draft a QB than sign or trade for Carr.

• Upvote 4

Hey, these guys aren't dumb...not to the extent of what I'm going to post anyway.  If it's Rodgers the Jets have their mitts on, I would be surprised if they haven't talked already...we're talking a billion dollar business and then there's the Hackett connection...why him?  Well, we'll see what happens and if we truly are left holding the bag, I'll just choke it up to the never ending circus that is the NEW YORK JETS.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm a little confused as to 1 point. GB really would want to trade him post 6/1 to minimize the cap hit, if I understand correctly. Therefore, can any trade even include 2023 draft picks if a deal cannot be consummated until after the draft?

I think the Packers would have to take the big cap hit, or lose out on draft picks in 2023. Otherwise wait until after June 1st and get a lot less for Rodgers in a buyers market. 

Just now, Warfish said:

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE will jump down his throat if the QB he acquires sucks dude.  LOL.

Yes, but there will be an order to things. And it’ll be much worse if the guy has $200M guaranteed. This is a decision that needs to be done right, and it’s too big to half-ass. Can’t be going all in on a player they don’t fully believe in. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bosleyjet74 said:

I personally think they already know who they getting be it Carr or Rodgers. They would already reached out to the teams found an acceptable trade value and just a case of announcing it at right time. 

Rodgers alluded to the timing in his Pat McAfee appearance yesterday.

When asked about his plans, he said the next two weeks are about the Chiefs and the Eagles, not about him.

It's entirely possible that all of this will be worked out before the Superbowl, with no formal announcement coming until after.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The deadline for Carr doesn't mean much if the Raiders think Carr would waive his no trade clause at a later point. His year becomes guaranteed but the team holding him at the end of the day pays it. (Or renegotiates it)

Argument can be made that Carr is the Raiders top option to be QB in 2023 and they can trade him next offseason.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, but there will be an order to things. And it’ll be much worse if the guy has $200M guaranteed. This is a decision that needs to be done right, and it’s too big to half-ass. Can’t be going all in on a player they don’t fully believe in. 

Yes and no.

Yes, everything you say is objectively correct.

No, because Saleh and JD may not (likely ARE not) "objective".  

They care about keeping their jobs, first and foremost.

If a short term decision buys them time to implement other plans they believe will lead to long term success, they'll do it, even if it contravenes your objectively correct statements.

31 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The deadline for Carr doesn't mean much if the Raiders think Carr would waive his no trade clause at a later point. His year becomes guaranteed but the team holding him at the end of the day pays it. (Or renegotiates it)

Argument can be made that Carr is the Raiders top option to be QB in 2023 and they can trade him next offseason.

I think McDaniels, once again, mismanaged the situation.... similar to Indy. He publicly embarrassed Carr & the QB can pretty much force his way out of town. I don't thjink he's that type of guy, but you never know.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think McDaniels, once again, mismanaged the situation.... similar to Indy. He publicly embarrassed Carr & the QB can pretty much force his way out of town. I don't thjink he's that type of guy, but you never know.

I do think the Raiders or McDaniels royally miscalculated their moves. I think they exercise Carr's option and hold him til closer to the draft or season to drive value up and Carr will waive his no trade clause to end the ordeal.

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Nailed it! This was the point of my thread. There is a needle that JD needs to thread to land the best QB for our team while not getting REAMED in the amount of Draft compensation.

• Upvote 3

As much as this pains me to say I think JD is going to sign Baker Mayfield as the starter Zach will be second string with a mid round QB selected in the draft to round out the QB room. 
Don’t want Carr and don’t think Jets are willing to take on Rodgers salary as I just think he’s too much of a risk as he is flaky and could retire at anytime regardless if Hackett is here or not. 

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

jimmy g would be a huge mistake. dude is soft af and already damaged goods

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

If its definitely got to be one of these two, it has to be Carr. One is a hard working, young, solid player. The other is a piece of walking talking human trash that uses used toilet paper to bathe himself with. 

seems like you have an unhealthy level of hatred towards rodgers

• Upvote 1

I don’t think Douglas can wait that long. I think Carr will look to find a warm weather stadium and the cost for Rogers Will go exponentially higher if we miss out on Carr. Glassman, Jimmy, G or Tannehill would be our last viable options. Unless you’re OK with Minishew?

That's the main thing for me.  If Carr knows he isn't good in cold weather, why would he do that to himself?  Carolina or now Tampa would be a better fit.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea what Carr wants, but I do know that the Raiders will have to release him shortly after the Super Bowl, because if they try to trade him and the team backs out after the deadline they are screwed.