The Rodgers / Carr Conundrum. Small Window of Opportunity

32EBoozer

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I do think the Raiders or McDaniels royally miscalculated their moves. I think they exercise Carr's option and hold him til closer to the draft or season to drive value up and Carr will waive his no trade clause to end the ordeal.

There is no "option" to exercise. 

If he's on the roster on 2/15 the Raiders owe him $40 million. 

If he's on the roster on 2/15 and they cut him on 2/16 and then on 2/17 he signs with another team, the Raiders still owe him $40 million, regardless of what the new team is paying him.

Also, this is not a bonus, its guaranteed salary so no payment to Carr is due on 2/15.  It's his 18 weekly in-season paychecks that become guaranteed.

The Raiders options to avoid paying him $40 million are:

1) Cut him before 2/15;

2) Agree to a trade with another team (with Carr's approval) who will assume the contract along with the guaranteed salary; or

3) Get Carr to agree to extend the 2/15 deadline and trade or cut him before the new deadline.

Technically, the 2/15 deadline could stay in place and a trade could be agreed to after 2/15 - but the compensation for Carr would go WAY down at that point because the receiving team would have the Raiders by the balls.  In other words, the receiving team could say "accept my offer of a 6th round pick, or your stuck paying him $40 million."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Anyone else have a tough time believing Carr would come to NY? Seems like a small town bible thumping kind of guy. Shades of Kirk Cousins. I just don’t see him wanting to play here when he’ll have plenty of options.

But the same Bible Thumping guy played in Vegas . 

• Upvote 1

I think the Jets would rather wait on Rodgers and pursue Garoppolo as the backup plan > Carr. 

The Rodgers decision will come around the same time if not after we receive clarity on Carr (Feb 15). 

If Carr gets traded/signs elsewhere, that gives them 2-4 weeks to figure out where things stand with Rodgers, while also courting Jimmy G through the backchannels. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think the Jets would rather wait on Rodgers and pursue Garoppolo as the backup plan > Carr. 

The Rodgers decision will come around the same time if not after we receive clarity on Carr (Feb 15). 

If Carr gets traded/signs elsewhere, that gives them 2-4 weeks to figure out where things stand with Rodgers, while also courting Jimmy G through the backchannels. 

I can see Carr getting moved quickly so McDaniels can bring in Jimmy G. who is familiar with his system at 40-50% the cost of Carr.

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

This.  I'm pretty convinced it's going to be either Rodgers or Jimmy G.  I think Woody wants the splash of Rodgers and the FO and coaching staff would lean Jimmy G since he, arguably, would be around much longer then Rodgers.

My sense is that Carr is way overvalued on this board and most around the league see him as a mid-level QB who was vastly overpaid by the Raiders.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh and Matt LaFleur are best friends. Hackett and Rodgers speak often. Rodgers is also a catty, me-first drama-queen mush hippie dickhole who’s going to make everyone sweat this out regardless. Whatever happens with Carr here will be in direct relation to whatever information they’ve compiled from LaFleur and Rodgers themselves, as opposed to flying blind through the agents. 

He might be a dickhole, but at least he doesn’t make a narcissistic announcement prior the Super Bowl, like a bigger dickhole. 

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I can see Carr getting moved quickly so McDaniels can bring in Jimmy G. who is familiar with his system at 40-50% the cost of Carr.

Garoppolo is going to have a bigger market than people anticipate, but I think the advantage we have over LV is guaranteed $ and team around him. Vegas may very well be fine going with Stidham and a rookie 

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

Garoppolo is going to have a bigger market than people anticipate, but I think the advantage we have over LV is guaranteed $ and team around him. Vegas may very well be fine going with Stidham and a rookie 

His ability to stay healthy would be the biggest reason why his contract would have a large amount of the guaranteed $ tied to "Games Played"

3 hours ago, varjet said:

JD needs to make a very aggressive bid for Carr.  At worst drive his price up.   He is the best answer all in if we can limit the guaranteed years to 3 or 4.  

Rodgers because of his age and draft pick comp should only cost less. 

How does driving up Carr's price help us?  Doesn't that just inflate the rest of the market?   

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Nailed it! This was the point of my thread. There is a needle that JD needs to thread to land the best QB for our team while not getting REAMED in the amount of Draft compensation.

THIS^^

..and JMHO and hope is that JD is NOT operating as if his job is on the line because as opposed to most here I do not think it is.  Overall he's been earning his keep!

Re: Zack, sh!t happens, and that is all.         

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

As much as this pains me to say I think JD is going to sign Baker Mayfield as the starter Zach will be second string with a mid round QB selected in the draft to round out the QB room. 
Don’t want Carr and don’t think Jets are willing to take on Rodgers salary as I just think he’s too much of a risk as he is flaky and could retire at anytime regardless if Hackett is here or not. 

As oppose to mortgaging the future I do not think this is a half bad scenario.  

34 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Good. Someone else will hopefully fill their QB hole with JG, leaving fewer teams to compete with the Jets for a veteran QB who will play all season.

Hopefully the Jets' coaches & FO look at the circumstances & competition Garoppolo faced last year, followed by how much better the offense instantly looked upon Garoppolo leaving the field for good & getting replaced by a 262nd overall pick rookie nobody.

I'd literally rather they go with Mike White + sign a cheaper veteran like Bridgewater with him, as opposed to getting locked into multiple seasons of JG earning future injury guarantees.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

There is no "option" to exercise. 

If he's on the roster on 2/15 the Raiders owe him $40 million. 

If he's on the roster on 2/15 and they cut him on 2/16 and then on 2/17 he signs with another team, the Raiders still owe him $40 million, regardless of what the new team is paying him.

Also, this is not a bonus, its guaranteed salary so no payment to Carr is due on 2/15.  It's his 18 weekly in-season paychecks that become guaranteed.

The Raiders options to avoid paying him $40 million are:

1) Cut him before 2/15;

2) Agree to a trade with another team (with Carr's approval) who will assume the contract along with the guaranteed salary; or

3) Get Carr to agree to extend the 2/15 deadline and trade or cut him before the new deadline.

Technically, the 2/15 deadline could stay in place and a trade could be agreed to after 2/15 - but the compensation for Carr would go WAY down at that point because the receiving team would have the Raiders by the balls.  In other words, the receiving team could say "accept my offer of a 6th round pick, or your stuck paying him $40 million."

I think it depends how much value the Raiders put on picks vs the money owed. If they want more compensation then you wait and risk having him be your QB in an awkward situation. Or Carr will waive his no trade clause.

It's almost buying draft picks with the potential of not actually having to pay anything.

17 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

This.  I'm pretty convinced it's going to be either Rodgers or Jimmy G.  I think Woody wants the splash of Rodgers and the FO and coaching staff would lean Jimmy G since he, arguably, would be around much longer than Rodgers.

If MLF were still here, I could see the young coaching staff preferring a “chill” JG, who unfortunately can’t stay off IR, but won’t call out the coaching staff.

But with Hackett here I can see everyone on board with a very durable (plays with a broken thumb) AR who can turn this young core of offensive players into a competent offense. Saleh will have to raise his game or AR will get on his case which I’m OK with. This is Saleh’s last year if we don’t make PO. AR will push this team over the line.

If MLF were still here, I could see the young coaching staff preferring a “chill” JG, who unfortunately can’t stay off IR, but won’t call out the coaching staff.
But with Hackett here I can see everyone on board with a very durable (plays with a broken thumb) AR who can turn this young core of offensive players into a competent offense. Saleh will have to raise his game or AR will get on his case which I’m OK with. This is Saleh’s last year if we don’t make PO. AR will push this team over the line.
This is one of the most important and accurate aspects to getting someone like Rodgers ... He will call out sh*t that's happening that aunt up to par.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1