Bears to trade the 1st pick

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What do you mean “why”?

These dipsh*ts already have one foot out the door.

They just spent the highest pick on a QB since we drafted Namath and the kid doesn’t even look like he knows his assh0le from his elbow.

No way in hell should they be allowed to give up multiple future high picks for some so-so prospect like Bryce Young or C.J. Stroud.

You don’t give up a single 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick for any QB not named Aaron Rodgers.

I don’t even know why we’re discussing this. Everyone from the owner, to the coach to the GM have already publicly said that adding a veteran QB is this teams highest priority.

Because it’s a discussion forum. Duh. 

My point was those dipsh*ts will prob be drafting another first round QB, if they do get Rodgers. So get ready. 

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Because it’s a discussion forum. Duh. 

My point was those dipsh*ts will prob be drafting another first round QB, if they do get Rodgers. So get ready. 

It sure as hell won’t be this year 

And they certainly won’t be packaging multiple 1st rounders for the #1 pick.

EVERYONE wants Rodgers.  And that is the way to go if you want the quick-fix, screw it lets go for the Superbowl win or strike out mentality.

Its a great high, but if you don't win the Super Bowl, makes the low even worse.

If you want to follow the model that works for the long term, you get an affordable veteran QB, keep building a strong team through the draft and NOT over-spending in F/A, and keep drafting QBs until one of them sticks.  

KC built a GREAT team over the years and had Alex Smith.  But they STILL took Patrick Mahomes.  And look what happened.  I would say the same for Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New England, and Dallas. 

The teams that seem to find continual success in this league do a few things consistently: 1) Draft consistently at a 50 percent success rate  2) Other than the occasional splash, are consistently prudent in spending Free agency money  3) draft QBs until they find 'the one.'  Teams keep doing it and then stop doing it.  But that seems to be the recipe that works.

But it's hard to stick with that mentality when a fan base is ravenous to have success again. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Given what Fields showed so far,

...given the state of the Bears franchise overall,

....given the weakness of this year's QB draft class,

...this is the right call.

Keep seeing if Fields gets better (as he has been doing).

Stockpile picks and talent to support him (or some future QB), better still if you get extra picks in 2024 to use (if needed) to trade up in what is expected to be a better draft class for QB's.

Jets aren't trading up to #1 overall, lol, nor should they in this draft class.  From midget LB to midget QB?

If Jets draft a QB this cycle (and I doubt they do) it'll be a mid-round guy, 2nd or later.

It sucks.  You get about 3 years to succeed now, and it all hinges on a QB.  It is a slow process that fans just don't have the patience for in this continual WIN NOW world.  

57 minutes ago, Jetty said:

Would you say they fall in the Trevor Lawrence category or Zach Wilson category? Bc I haven’t heard much about any of them outside of Stroud.

There isn't a "Trevor Lawrence" kinda prospect. Caleb Williams will be seen as that next year to some extent though.

CJ Stroud - Traditional top QB IMO

Will Levis - Zach Wilson

Bryce Young - Kyler Murray (height moreso than gameplay)

Should all be locks to go before us. Anthony Richardson is perhaps on that bubble as well. Richardson would fall into the Josh Allen category. McKee, from Stanford, may sneak into the end of round 1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetty said:

Is there a generational QB or player that is worth a team trading a ton to move up?f

I don’t watch college football.

Anthony Richardson is generational athlete for the position, he's a complete and total freak of a human and is going to be the best athlete on the field 99% of the time.  If he can play QB has yet to be determined, there is some really exciting stuff in there both passing and running but he's got a long way to go to be a consistent player down to down.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Mostly I’m surprised that they’re announcing their intentions at all. Pick is probably worth more if the team holding it is thinking about keeping it. 

My thoughts too. Wonder if they “clarify” things at some point 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Mostly I’m surprised that they’re announcing their intentions at all. Pick is probably worth more if the team holding it is thinking about keeping it. 

As slim pointed out, they didn’t actually announce anything, but the timing is definitely weird. I mean, we don’t even know how tall Young actually is. None of these guys have interviewed with anyone. Even if the Bears think Fields is the guy, it would be insane to decide that without even exploring the others.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

As slim pointed out, they didn’t actually announce anything, but the timing is definitely weird. I mean, we don’t even know how tall Young actually is. None of these guys have interviewed with anyone. Even if the Bears think Fields is the guy, it would be insane to decide that without even exploring the others.

Breer is a Fields ultra homer

So with San Frans and Tampa’s QB position opening up, and as clear better landing spots for a QB the Jets need to start doing their due diligence on Young. Assuming this rumor is true. Musical QB’s chairs doesn’t look promising for the Jets right now. 

• WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Anthony Richardson is generational athlete for the position, he's a complete and total freak of a human and is going to be the best athlete on the field 99% of the time.  If he can play QB has yet to be determined, there is some really exciting stuff in there both passing and running but he's got a long way to go to be a consistent player down to down.

Lol. That’s wild. Would be awesome if we could stash him while riding it out with a Veteran. But ain’t no way. Prob would F it up either way. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, other than Indy, I don't see anybody trying to move up to 1. And I just don't think there's any QB worth giving up a ton of draft capital for in this draft. Maybe its just me. 

Now, is Houston going to be willing to move up one spot to secure their guy? Sure, I can see that. But CHI won't be getting a 'boat load' of picks for that transaction. 

Odds are CHI stands pat and takes one of the top tier defensive players. If a trade does materialize for the 1st overall pick, I think its most likely going to be Houston moving up one spot to secure their QB.  

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So with San Frans and Tampa’s QB position opening up, and as clear better landing spots for a QB the Jets need to start doing their due diligence on Young. Assuming this rumor is true. Musical QB’s chairs doesn’t look promising for the Jets right now. 

Why are those options better than the Jets? SF is a much better team, but they also still have two QBs on their rookie deals. I could see Garoppolo staying, though, for the right contract. One that would be a lot more than they paid him for this year. 

But Tampa? They still have an OC opening and are $58M over the cap. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I hate that I actually agree with you. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Rodgers is really the only shot. Jimmy G will go to the Raiders and Carr will go to the NFC South. I don't know of there is any situation where I allow this staff to draft a QB in the 1st after how they handled Zach

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Not shocking though, Fields is a superstar and would easily be the #1 overall pick in this class.  He blows all these dweebs out of the water.  The only one who even remotely holds a candle to his athleticism is Richardson and he's a huge wild card that you're hoping you can develop. The rest are just ho-hum boring ass prospects that dont have a shred of Fields talent. 

The shocking part is the Bears making a good decision at QB.

Superstar?! He's a gifted running QB that so far has shown he can't throw in the NFL. Unless he picks up his game inside the pocket he won't last very long. No team needs a QB that runs for over a 100 yards in games - it can't be sustained. I'm a bit surprised they are trading the pick, especially if the three QBs are really good. They must not have graded out that well to the Bears.

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If you think Tampa is a better landing spot than the Jets we haven't been watching the same games. It's easier to win that division if that's what you mean. Tampa is clearly a time on the decline.

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Rodgers is really the only shot. Jimmy G will go to the Raiders and Carr will go to the NFC South. I don't know of there is any situation where I allow this staff to draft a QB in the 1st after how they handled Zach

I agree with this I have been saying we are gonna end up with Tannehill for a while.  There's an outside shot Jimmy G might wanna come to NY but I never got the feeling Carr wants anything to do with NY.

1 minute ago, undertow said:

I agree with this I have been saying we are gonna end up with Tannehill for a while.  There's an outside shot Jimmy G might wanna come to NY but I never got the feeling Carr wants anything to do with NY.

I moreso think the Raiders move him to the NFC. I'm not as confident Carr gets released, I think he waives his no trade clause to play in domes/warm weather in the NFC

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

If you think Tampa is a better landing spot than the Jets we haven't been watching the same games. It's easier to win that division if that's what you mean. Tampa is clearly a time on the decline.

Yeah it’s more the division. But Tampa has more talent than the Jets. Bowles is horrendous though.

• Upvote 1