Bears to trade the 1st pick

Rhg1084

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I moreso think the Raiders move him to the NFC. I'm not as confident Carr gets released, I think he waives his no trade clause to play in domes/warm weather in the NFC

I'm not sure the Raiders are that worried about what conference a QB they just benched goes to but regardless I think he will be a Panther or Titan.

25 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Superstar?! He's a gifted running QB that so far has shown he can't throw in the NFL. Unless he picks up his game inside the pocket he won't last very long. No team needs a QB that runs for over a 100 yards in games - it can't be sustained. I'm a bit surprised they are trading the pick, especially if the three QBs are really good. They must not have graded out that well to the Bears.

Yes. That was the college assessment. Totally. Smh 

Also, if you possessed Grade AAAAAAAAA stock genes athletically and were throwing to guys who we wouldn't noticed if they switched Jerseys at half time - you'd probably fcking tuck the ball and sprint too. He was left for dead in that offense in 2022...

When is it going to end? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Also, if you possessed Grade AAAAAAAAA stock genes athletically and were throwing to guys who we wouldn't noticed if they switched Jerseys at half time - you'd probably fcking tuck the ball and sprint too. He was left for dead in that offense in 2022...

When is it going to end? 

Has there ever been a passer as bad as Fields, also including sack rate (historically bad) that has gotten good?

if the Bears want to stick with him then that’s an opportunity for the Jets to consider Young at 1, which is a good thing.

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Not shocking though, Fields is a superstar and would easily be the #1 overall pick in this class.  He blows all these dweebs out of the water.  The only one who even remotely holds a candle to his athleticism is Richardson and he's a huge wild card that you're hoping you can develop. The rest are just ho-hum boring ass prospects that dont have a shred of Fields talent. 

The shocking part is the Bears making a good decision at QB.

Meh

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

When is it going to end? 

Did you not watch him play and yes follow his stats>?  These guys are NFL receivers , mooney is an nfl receiver.  Cole kmet is a good TE, claypool is an nfl receiver.  Super stars?  No but the old blame lack of loaded Wr room excuse is old and tired.

Fields passing stats are garbage and that is not on his lack of weaponzzzz.  He more disturbingly turns the ball over a lot and takes an ungodly number of sacks.

His running game improved 1000% due to him and the coaching.  His passing game still stinks.  He has a good arm, is by all accounts a decent leader and can run but his passing awareness and reading of defenses is highly suspect.  Will that improve?  Maybe, maybe not but Justin Fields is no super star in waiting after a year in which he ran for a lot of yards and didn't do much else.

2 hours ago, undertow said:

None are considered "generational" which is why If I'm Houston I wouldn't care about being at 2 just take one of the two guys that are left.

So the Jets are raked over the calls for drafting Wilson #2 in 2021 with people calling it an epic fail and him an epic bust.  Then there are posts like this that indicate it doesn't matter who a team drafts at QB.  Isn't that what the Jets did in 2021?  Take one of the guys that were left after Lawrence went first?  Were Lance, Fields, or Jones really that much better in retrospect?  I'm not advocating for Wilson. I'm just defending taking a QB when you have an early pick and a need.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has there ever been a passer as bad as Fields, also including sack rate (historically bad) that has gotten good?

if the Bears want to stick with him then that’s an opportunity for the Jets to consider Young at 1, which is a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Did you not watch him play and yes follow his stats>?  These guys are NFL receivers , mooney is an nfl receiver.  Cole kmet is a good TE, claypool is an nfl receiver.  Super stars?  No but the old blame lack of loaded Wr room excuse is old and tired.

Fields passing stats are garbage and that is not on his lack of weaponzzzz.  He more disturbingly turns the ball over a lot and takes an ungodly number of sacks.

His running game improved 1000% due to him and the coaching.  His passing game still stinks.  He has a good arm, is by all accounts a decent leader and can run but his passing awareness and reading of defenses is highly suspect.  Will that improve?  Maybe, maybe not but Justin Fields is no super star in waiting after a year in which he ran for a lot of yards and didn't do much else.

wildly inflated indictment of his ability as a passer. That's my hill, and I'll die on it. He's not as good as he needs to be to take his team the distance, but also this is an inaccurate portrayal. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So the Jets are raked over the calls for drafting Wilson #2 in 2021 with people calling it an epic fail and him an epic bust.  Then there are posts like this that indicate it doesn't matter who a team drafts at QB.  Isn't that what the Jets did in 2021?  Take one of the guys that were left after Lawrence went first?  Were Lance, Fields, or Jones really that much better in retrospect?  I'm not advocating for Wilson. I'm just defending taking a QB when you have an early pick and a need.

Lawrence was considered generational and a sure thing best QB prospect since Luck.....these guys ain't that this would compare more to the Darnold draft.

10 out of 17 games with less than 15 completions.

Threw for over 200 yards TWICE in the whole year!  (208, 254 his top number)  Zac Wilson in his limited time had 4 and two games over 300 yards.

A monumental 55 sacks this past year.

16 fumbles this past year!

Worse interception % rate than Zac Wilson

Hey Fields has promise for sure but he is also a huge question mark off his first two years of play.  Take away the gaudy running stats this past year and he is beyond horrible.

People are acting as if he is already a franchise guy before he is even remotely close to being a good NFL QB.  He has won 5 career nfl games in two years.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Superstar?! He's a gifted running QB that so far has shown he can't throw in the NFL. Unless he picks up his game inside the pocket he won't last very long. No team needs a QB that runs for over a 100 yards in games - it can't be sustained. I'm a bit surprised they are trading the pick, especially if the three QBs are really good. They must not have graded out that well to the Bears.

Happy Molly Shannon GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's not the point I was making.  I was knocking the "take the guy who falls to you at 2" point you made. 

Take the guy that falls to you at two because the other option is giving up multiple first rounders to take a QB prospect with a similar grade....there's not a QB that makes sense to do that imo. 

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

Not shocking though, Fields is a superstar and would easily be the #1 overall pick in this class.  He blows all these dweebs out of the water.  The only one who even remotely holds a candle to his athleticism is Richardson and he's a huge wild card that you're hoping you can develop. The rest are just ho-hum boring ass prospects that dont have a shred of Fields talent. 

The shocking part is the Bears making a good decision at QB.

If Hooker doesn't tear the ACL he certainly would be in the conversation. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

When is it going to end? 

If he was on the Jets a ton of people would be asking to get rid of him. If we had the 1st pick in the draft I doubt many people wouldn't want a QB and rightfully so and I wanted Justin Fields in the draft.

Stats for last 3 games - and he has pro receivers that normally can catch and occasionally get open.  So, 18.9 QBR and 7-21 against a middling pass defense. When your stats are THAT bad it's not only because of your receivers. Hell, Zach for two games threw for over 300 yards and everyone wanted him benched - such a double standard.

7 21 75 33.3 3.6 1 1 16 7 40.8 18.9
15 23 119 65.2 5.2 1 0 44 2 92.5

14 21 152 66.7 7.2 2 0 35 6 119.5 39.6

17 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

If he was on the Jets a ton of people would be asking to get rid of him. If we had the 1st pick in the draft I doubt many people wouldn't want a QB and rightfully so and I wanted Justin Fields in the draft.

Stats for last 3 games - and he has pro receivers that normally can catch and occasionally get open.  So, 18.9 QBR and 7-21 against a middling pass defense. When your stats are THAT bad it's not only because of your receivers. Hell, Zach for two games threw for over 300 yards and everyone wanted him benched - such a double standard.

7 21 75 33.3 3.6 1 1 16 7 40.8 18.9
15 23 119 65.2 5.2 1 0 44 2 92.5

14 21 152 66.7 7.2 2 0 35 6 119.5 39.6

those stats could read 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 and wouldn't move the needle over here w/ my opinion. This place championed Zach Wilson as the obvious steal of the draft at QB 7 days after championing Fields when he beat clemson.... I don't drink from the well here on QB evaluation, period. Just being honest. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Get Hendon Hooker on the 3rd day of the draft. Get a good vet.  And draft an OT and C with the first 2 picks.

You've watched him a lot more than I have.

He looks like a project to me (like pretty much all of the '23 class), but at least one with upside.

I'd be on board with a day 3 investment.

The Bears just showed the rest of the league how easy it is to tank for the #1 overall pick.

It's still hard to fathom the contingent of fans (especially intelligent voices like Robby Sabo) praising Joe Douglas and the organization for beating the Rams.

I'm sure there was some small degree of vindication for Gase, but the consequences were far-reaching.

The Jets are now stuck with delusional zero-confidence ZW for at least one more long year, while Justin Fields continues to emerge as a version of prime freaking Lamar Jackson on steroids.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Threw for over 200 yards TWICE in the whole year!  (208, 254 his top number)  Zac Wilson in his limited time had 4 and two games over 300 yards.

Hey Fields has promise for sure but he is also a huge question mark off his first two years of play.  Take away the gaudy running stats this past year and he is beyond horrible.

People are acting as if he is already a franchise guy before he is even remotely close to being a good NFL QB.  He has won 5 career nfl games in two years.

He has some pretty bad passing numbers but has a lot of fanboys near and far - very curious to see what year 3 looks like for him 

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Bears just showed the rest of the league how easy it is to tank for the #1 overall pick.

It's still hard to fathom the contingent of fans (especially intelligent voices like Robby Sabo) praising Joe Douglas and the organization for beating the Rams.

I'm sure there was some small degree of vindication for Gase, but the consequences were far-reaching.

The Jets are now stuck with delusional zero-confidence ZW for at least one more long year, while Justin Fields continues to emerge as a version of prime freaking Lamar Jackson on steroids.

But again - this isn’t remotely accurate for a variety of reasons.

1) Even if we lost the Rams game, we would STILL not have gotten Trevor Lawrence. Why not? Because we beat the COVID-depleted Browns the following week at home. Remember - Jacksonville had the tie breaker over us that year and finished 1-15. Hence, in order to get the top pick that year, we would have had to finish 0-16. That’s a tough ask. It was just typical jets bad luck that we needed an 0-16 season to get Lawrence. 

2) Fields is emerging as prime Lamar Jackson on steroids? Serious question - on what planet? Do yourself a favor and compare Lamar Jackson’s year 2 to Justin Fields’ year 2. Fields had 2 games this year with over 200 yards passing. Lol. I’ve never seen a player with so much unwarranted hype in my life. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

It's hard to imagine if the Jets went with Fields that we would be in much of a different situation than we are right now. Equivalently awful passing stats. Would LaFleur have allowed Fields to run around so much? Seems unlikely given the messaging right away that they wanted Wilson to become a pocket passer. I assume they would have expected the same from Fields. Fields probably would have spun less in the backfield.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Why are those options better than the Jets? SF is a much better team, but they also still have two QBs on their rookie deals. I could see Garoppolo staying, though, for the right contract. One that would be a lot more than they paid him for this year. 

But Tampa? They still have an OC opening and are $58M over the cap. 

Not totally unlike the Jets, they have a mountain of cap room next year (OTC has it as $83MM). That's before they make any cuts or trades.

They're not going to be contenders this year, and probably not next year either. They should have a fire sale, trading anybody below for whatever offer they get. Most will just be straight cuts, though:

• Shaq Barrett = $17MM
  • Ryan Jensen = $12.5MM
  • Russell Gage = $10MM 
  • Fournette = $7MM
  • Donovan Smith $15MM (someone like Fant would be a better fit; much cheaper, plays either side, and his signing doesn't preclude them from still drafting a tackle in round 1, and Smith isn't exactly coming off his best season if you watched Brady getting rushed)
  • Evans (not so much for the long term cap space, where he's due a below-market $14.5MM, but because of what he'll garner in trade, aided by this coming year being that below-market $14.5MM). 

Only reason I might still keep both Evans & Godwin, in their shoes, is if they're breaking in a young QB (whether that's Trask or a '23 rookie) then it might be worth having that pair to ease his intro to the NFL. 

The above gets them under for this year, and even further under next year. Plus they can start filling out their replacements with more-backloaded contracts. It'll be an ugly year, but not necessarily a 4-win level of ugly unless Trask/other proves totally useless.

• Upvote 1