49ers Shanahan said today (2/1/23) that Jimmy Garoppolo won’t be back next season

C Mart

Hard not be impatient, waiting for the jets to make their move.  Unfortunately there’s no reason for the jets to say anything until after free agency and the combine. I know some think it’ll take this seasons thirteenth pick to trade for Rodgers but there also may be players the jets want in the draft and so they will keep the pick.  We’ll see. Best not to lose sleep over it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

That was obvious, he had a no tag clause put on his restructured contract. They've been trying to move off the guy since they lost the SB, Purdy and Lance's situation shouldn't change that.

If anything, they might bring in Matty Ice for 2023 with Lance backing him up and Purdy healing from TJS

Matt Ryan was awful last yr 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Hard not be impatient, waiting for the jets to make their move.  Unfortunately there’s no reason for the jets to say anything until after free agency and the combine. I know some think it’ll take this seasons thirteenth pick to trade for Rodgers but there also may be players the jets want in the draft and so they will keep the pick.  We’ll see. Best not to lose sleep over it.

Nothing can happen before March 1 correct?  They aren’t allowed to talk to anyone until then I believe. We’ll be crazed by then. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Darnold615 said:

Did anyone see the clip? I’m seeing articles about this… but he clearly said he was joking about not seeing  any scenario where jimmy g comes back 

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- For more than five years -- through injuries, trade attempts and much more -- the San Francisco 49ers and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo have always found their way back to each other.

But as San Francisco heads into yet another offseason filled with quarterback uncertainty, coach Kyle Shanahan made it clear Wednesday that Garoppolo and the Niners are finally going to go their separate ways.

Asked whether there was any scenario in which he could see Garoppolo returning to San Francisco in 2023, Shanahan did not mince words.

"No, I don't see any scenario of that," Shanahan said.

Unlike last year, when Garoppolo was still under contract and the Niners attempted to trade him, they have no such agency this time around. Garoppolo is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March, and the 49ers cannot use a tag to retain his rights.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35572390/jimmy-garoppolo-offseason-split-likely-49ers-kyle-shanahan-says

38 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

KS was his OC in ATL and he will come cheap. They just need a placeholder until their young guys are ready

They seem to be able to plug anyone in and get some success.. except Lance. I wouldn't be surprised if they plug someone like Tannehil over Matt Ryan. He seems like burnt toast.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The niners have watched Jimmy g for years and want no part of him. Explain why you want him here? 

He's just a bad QB. A glorified back up. I don't like Mike White but I rather bring him back than to after Jimmy G.

They want no part because they need to see Lance. And to finally move on from an oft injured QB. That’s why I said trade up along with him. He’s good when he plays. 

I like Jimmy G over Carr, if we don’t get Rodgers. I get the health issue but Carr has no playoff experience, plays terrible in cold weather, where we play at least 11 of our games every year, and he knows our system. He would fit in much better and will cost much less. 

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

I like Jimmy G over Carr, if we don’t get Rodgers. I get the health issue but Carr has no playoff experience, plays terrible in cold weather, where we play more than 12 of our games every year, and he knows our system. He would fit in much better and will cost much less. 

so we start playing in cold weather games in October?  Really?

2 hours ago, Drums said:

They seem to be able to plug anyone in and get some success.. except Lance. I wouldn't be surprised if they plug someone like Tannehil over Matt Ryan. He seems like burnt toast.

Lance has started 4 games in his career(one of which was being played in a monsoon). I wouldn’t completely write the kid off yet

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Id rather lance than jimmy 

jimmy always hurt. Why are we considering him

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Are we ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Exactly. The imaginary "link" between Jimmy G and the Jets was based on MLF and the fact that he ran the Niners offense. With MLF gone any speculation about Jimmy coming here is just that, speculation. 

There is zero chance JD is going to "fix" the Jets QB situation with Jimmy G as his starter unless literally Plan A, B, C, D, E and F all fall through. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, docdhc said:

Nothing can happen before March 1 correct?  They aren’t allowed to talk to anyone until then I believe. We’ll be crazed by then. 

i'd guess that anything substantial will come out before the official dates.  i think march 1 is for free agents but trades can happen any time.

• Upvote 1