Are the Raiders the Jets biggest threat for A. Rodgers?? - D. Adams would like a word

57 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Why would White do that with so many teams needing a QB?

He probably wouldn't.  it doesn't hurt to ask though.

He earned 2.5M in '22.  Is there a team he could go to in FA that could / would guarantee him a starting job?

I don't put much stock in JD and Saleh's posturing.  I think they know deep down ZW won't ever be the answer, but they are stuck with him for at least another year.

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

OK, so a guy who can't stay on the field 56% of the time, backed up by a guy who is mid level at best, backed up by a guy who is pretty much currently the worst QB in the league. What could go wrong?

Triple wing Qb formation will take the NFL by storm in 2023 . Hackett will be declared a genius . Bob Kraft will petition his good friend Roger to make rules that no more than 2 crappy QB's can be on the field at the same time. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Just a thought on this. I know offensive schemes nowadays are pretty much blended together.  However, does McDaniels run a WCO based scheme? 

If not, would McDaniels change his O to accommodate AR12?  Would AR12 be open to running McDaniels O?  At this stage of his career I can’t see AR12 wanting to learn and run an O different than what he’s been basically running for the past 15+ yrs. 

@football guy thoughts? 

Rodgers is a WCO lifer, whereas McDaniels runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense. As you point out, a lot of play schemes blend together now, but that's more based on philosophy (i.e. read & react vs. attack, risk vs. conservative, how to attack defenses), player responsibility/understanding of playbook, play design, and personnel packages. For instance, two different teams can have the same desired identity, approach, and philosophy while implementing totally different schemes (i.e. the Ravens and 49ers). Where the schemes differ is how its taught, the player's expected thought process, concept implementation, blocking scheme, intended progression, situational response, and terminology. Think about it this way: a WCO and EPO offense may have the same desired result on a play, but their means and methods to achieve that result differ. 

Any good coach can design at scheme to their player's strengths whether it be the WCO, EPO, or something else. For instance, the WCO is traditionally known as a "horizontal offense", but its more than capable of being altered to attack deeper portions of the field. Good coaches can also find ways to ease the transition for players too. But if you're a 39 year old Aaron Rodgers, do you want to go to learn a whole knew offense and new terminology? Bruce Arians ran his own scheme that implemented many different influences. They ended up blending a lot of the EPO philosophy and terminology into it because Brady was struggling to adjust. In retrospect, it was a blessing that Arains ran a "multiple" scheme - his scheme was results oriented, and it was built around how to attack defenses rather than the means & methods that go into achieving the result. So not only would Aaron be going into a new scheme, he would have to play for a coach that puts the scheme > outcome and would likely be less willing to adjust the teachings and terminology of that scheme to a player's preference... I personally don't take Rodgers as the type who would embrace a whole new scheme, and given how thoughtful/nuanced he is, I think he would feel the process of mastering a new scheme would take at least 1 year (a year he may not be willing to sacrifice). 

For those reasons, I mainly see the Jets and Titans (maybe the Dolphins) would be the teams Rodgers would be focused on if he were to leave the Packers, assuming of course he's limited to AFC teams. You may be able to throw the Texans and Colts in there for scheme reasons, but I'm not convinced Rodgers would look at them as "win now" situations. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Rodgers is a WCO lifer, whereas McDaniels runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense. As you point out, a lot of play schemes blend together now, but that's more based on philosophy (i.e. read & react vs. attack, risk vs. conservative, how to attack defenses), player responsibility/understanding of playbook, play design, and personnel packages. For instance, two different teams can have the same desired identity, approach, and philosophy while implementing totally different schemes (i.e. the Ravens and 49ers). Where the schemes differ is how its taught, the player's expected thought process, concept implementation, blocking scheme, intended progression, situational response, and terminology. Think about it this way: a WCO and EPO offense may have the same desired result on a play, but their means and methods to achieve that result differ. 

Any good coach can design at scheme to their player's strengths whether it be the WCO, EPO, or something else. For instance, the WCO is traditionally known as a "horizontal offense", but its more than capable of being altered to attack deeper portions of the field. Good coaches can also find ways to ease the transition for players too. But if you're a 39 year old Aaron Rodgers, do you want to go to learn a whole knew offense and new terminology? Bruce Arians ran his own scheme that implemented many different influences. They ended up blending a lot of the EPO philosophy and terminology into it because Brady was struggling to adjust. In retrospect, it was a blessing that Arains ran a "multiple" scheme - his scheme was results oriented, and it was built around how to attack defenses rather than the means & methods that go into achieving the result. So not only would Aaron be going into a new scheme, he would have to play for a coach that puts the scheme > outcome and would likely be less willing to adjust the teachings and terminology of that scheme to a player's preference... I personally don't take Rodgers as the type who would embrace a whole new scheme, and given how thoughtful/nuanced he is, I think he would feel the process of mastering a new scheme would take at least 1 year (a year he may not be willing to sacrifice). 

For those reasons, I mainly see the Jets and Titans (maybe the Dolphins) would be the teams Rodgers would be focused on if he were to leave the Packers, assuming of course he's limited to AFC teams. You may be able to throw the Texans and Colts in there for scheme reasons, but I'm not convinced Rodgers would look at them as "win now" situations. 

Thank you. Exactly my thought that AR12 most likely isn’t open to learn a new system. I can’t blame him at this point of his career. 

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You don't understand the salary cap. This isn't baseball. If the Raiders don't have enough cash to pay their annual player salaries, which would include Rodgers $60 million, and is basically the same annual amount every NFL pays its players, then they have real problems.  I doubt this is the case. Rodgers wouldn't be off the books and paid from Davis' slush fund.

You don't understand the salary cap and the difference between it and actual cash spending. 

Rodgers will count $15mm against the cap in 2023 - but they need to pay $60mm in cash today. There are multiple other players on the Raiders who also have a ton of guaranteed money - which more or less needs to go in escrow. Waller got $22mm guaranteed before the season. Adams signed a massive deal. When those contracts are signed the majority of the cash that is guaranteed needs to go in escrow. 

Mark Davis (like his father before him) have notoriously had cash flow issues. See: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/sports/football/las-vegas-raiders.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/raiders-too-cash-poor-to-fire-head-coach-josh-mcdaniels/

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/01/raiders-owner-mark-davis-lacked-funds-to-pay-khalil-mack/

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/las-vegas-raiders/nfl-world-reacts-to-the-troubling-raiders-josh-mcdaniels-rumor

https://www.raidersbeat.com/raiders-still-dealing-with-cash-flow-issue-after-move-to-las-vegas/

While several of those are blogs - they are quoting other sources. Like the last one is via a tweet from Mike Garafolo saying the raiders can't give a signing bonus on a $6mm contract b/c they are cash strapped. I don't think adding a 0 to that figure will help/ 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Guys....we all know this isn't happening right? Jets will get pulled along the whole time for a better deal. He'll get traded to the Raiders. 

It'll come out Douglas had this great big offer but he ultimately chose Raiders (Just like Tyreek Hill). Thus ending with the Jets being laughed at....again. 

Oh and throw on top of that, you'll see so many LOL's that we didn't learn from Denver with signing Hackett and ended up empty handed just like them. 

This is the way. 

Sad but probably true 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Thank you. Exactly my thought that AR12 most likely isn’t open to learn a new system. I can’t blame him at this point of his career. 

There would be an adjustment period for sure.  Brady and the Bucs didn't really hit their stride in year 1 until mid- to late-season.

But Rodgers' football IQ is elite and he's self-confident enough where I don't think he would view this as a hindrance.  In fact, he might embrace it.  He's somewhere on the Andrew Luck spectrum in terms of QBs who actually read books in their spare time.

He already has the built-in chemistry with Davante obviously.  I'm sure Adams could help him adjust.

I think the real concern is the Raiders' defense is awful.  And Josh McDaniels is a d-bag.

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

"In fact, one source said that general manager Joe Douglas is admitting to people in the league the franchise will go all out in the attempt to bring Rodgers to Gang Green. And it only makes sense."

I read this "fact" and determined...that's a lie. (said in my best Maury voice).

No way is Joe Douglas walking around telling insiders that he is ready to go all out. lol.

Totally agree. Also, JD's "all out" is always couched in terms of only if it is good value to the organization and makes sense for the future. I just don't see a scenario where JD pays out the nose in both salary and draft picks for a player near the end of his career. Jimmy G makes the most sense for he Jets. After that, we're looking at Daulton or Minshew. Bottom line is that JD has a strategy and it does not include a high priced (in both salary and draft picks) QB. Look at Philly and Baltimore - the two organizations that trained JD. The formula is to build the team and wait for the QB.  

5 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Guys....we all know this isn't happening right? Jets will get pulled along the whole time for a better deal. He'll get traded to the Raiders. 

It'll come out Douglas had this great big offer but he ultimately chose Raiders (Just like Tyreek Hill). Thus ending with the Jets being laughed at....again. 

Oh and throw on top of that, you'll see so many LOL's that we didn't learn from Denver with signing Hackett and ended up empty handed just like them. 

This is the way. 

You have spoken.

The Dolphins have a challenging cap situation, but they still lowkey might be the biggest threat to the Jets:

-- Tua STILL in the protocol

-- Mike McDaniel is obviously a WCO guy, so no issue there.

-- For "weapons", Can't beat Tyreek and Waddle.

-- Confirmed today Fangio is their new DC.  So you know the D will be improved.

-- Great weather.  No state income tax.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Dolphins have a challenging cap situation, but they still lowkey might be the biggest threat to the Jets:

They've also been willing to go big game hunting (i.e., committing tampering to try and get Payton and Brady). I definitely think they're a sleeper candidate, especially if Tua's brain is oatmeal.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Tua is out of the protocol and they've stated publicly that he's the starter in 2023.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

They've also been willing to go big game hunting (i.e., committing tampering to try and get Payton and Brady). I definitely think they're a sleeper candidate, especially if Tua's brain is oatmeal.

I'm sure Aaron Rodgers would rather go to Miami and pay no state taxes and get to throw to Waddle and Hill.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

You don't understand the salary cap and the difference between it and actual cash spending. 

Rodgers will count $15mm against the cap in 2023 - but they need to pay $60mm in cash today. There are multiple other players on the Raiders who also have a ton of guaranteed money - which more or less needs to go in escrow. Waller got $22mm guaranteed before the season. Adams signed a massive deal. When those contracts are signed the majority of the cash that is guaranteed needs to go in escrow. 

Mark Davis (like his father before him) have notoriously had cash flow issues. See: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/sports/football/las-vegas-raiders.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/raiders-too-cash-poor-to-fire-head-coach-josh-mcdaniels/

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/01/raiders-owner-mark-davis-lacked-funds-to-pay-khalil-mack/

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/las-vegas-raiders/nfl-world-reacts-to-the-troubling-raiders-josh-mcdaniels-rumor

https://www.raidersbeat.com/raiders-still-dealing-with-cash-flow-issue-after-move-to-las-vegas/

While several of those are blogs - they are quoting other sources. Like the last one is via a tweet from Mike Garafolo saying the raiders can't give a signing bonus on a $6mm contract b/c they are cash strapped. I don't think adding a 0 to that figure will help/ 

Raiders had huge expenses.   

Moving costs 500 million.  Plus a stadium, which cost the Raiders however much.  Plus their 1st season in that stadium was wiped out by covid, so no one could come.

44 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Tua NOT in protocol 

Dolphins have NO 1st round pick in 2023. No way they have enough to offer in a trade.  

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Tua came out of protocol yesterday.

Getting a new DC does not mean the defense will be better. 

They traded away all their picks, don’t have picks to trade for a Rodgers

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not gonna happen. They have too much invested in Tua, who is no longer In protocol and they don’t have a 1st round pick to trade. Rodgers might not require 2 first round picks, but a first round pick this year is gonna be a minimum comp. 

• Upvote 1

If Green Bay does anything, they will have to wait till after June 1st.  

I am not sure that people realize that the new team is taking on a 58.3 Million dollar option.  If he plays one year there is 3 years of dead money or $43ish Million in dead cap.  NOT TO MENTION, his salary guarantees early in 2024.

I saw an article that he is willing to rework his contract, but does anyone think he is going to rework it at a discount.

Secondly, if your the GM, do you want to hinge your offseason on a maybe I can get him after Free Agency and the Draft?  They may agree in principle, but then something happens and it doesn't actually go through.  

54 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

From the GM's desk it may be attractive to try to flip Rodgers for Carr. The increased pay for the Raiders isn't insane while GB gets to pay less for a younger starter.

3-team trades rarely ever happen in the NFL but I’ve wondered if this is a situation where we might see one.

13 minutes ago, TommyT said:

tfOVEK0T_x96.png

#Jets general manager Joe Douglas is admitting to people in the league that the team will "go all out" in order to trade for #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, according to

Lol Joe Douglas going around grabbing people "I'LL FN DO IT, YOU HEAR ME?!" "I'LL TRADE IT ALLL"

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tua came out of protocol yesterday.

Getting a new DC does not mean the defense will be better. 

They traded away all their picks 

Normally I'd agree. But Fangio is f'n legit lol. I wanted to be wrong and looked up his track record and it's annoying how many times his Defenses placed top of the league. 

I'd be shocked if they're not top 10. 

• Upvote 1

Heard some talking heads discuss this and what they said kinda made sense.  That Rodgers and McDaniels would not get along.  That McDaniels is set in his "Patriot" ways.  An article came out talking about possibly why Carr and McDaniels didn't work out.  How Carr wasn't allowed to change any plays at the line of scrimmage.  He had to stick to the script.  Rodgers has had that freedom forever in GB.  And as others have mentioned, he wouldn't have to learn an entirely new offense with Hackett, who he loves, and the Jets.

28 minutes ago, hawk said:

If Green Bay does anything, they will have to wait till after June 1st.  

I am not sure that people realize that the new team is taking on a 58.3 Million dollar option.  If he plays one year there is 3 years of dead money or $43ish Million in dead cap.  NOT TO MENTION, his salary guarantees early in 2024.

I saw an article that he is willing to rework his contract, but does anyone think he is going to rework it at a discount.

Secondly, if your the GM, do you want to hinge your offseason on a maybe I can get him after Free Agency and the Draft?  They may agree in principle, but then something happens and it doesn't actually go through.  

Rodgers said himself that he would be making a decision on his future shortly after the Super Bowl. Obviously whether to retire, stay with GB or move on to another team. You are fooling yourself if you think he doesn’t have the power in what he does and where he goes. If he doesn’t want to go to a team, he will refuse to restructure. It’s that simple. The Jets will know if they have a shot at getting him after the Super Bowl and will wait if it’s a possibility. Carr and Jimmy G are afterthoughts. If they miss them, so be it. They want Rodgers.