Are the Raiders the Jets biggest threat for A. Rodgers?? - D. Adams would like a word

14 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Normally I'd agree. But Fangio is f'n legit lol. I wanted to be wrong and looked up his track record and it's annoying how many times his Defenses placed top of the league. 

I'd be shocked if they're not top 10. 

You need players to have a good defense.  Then a coordinator to make it work.  Fish will be making cuts to the D.

Regardless, they’re not going to be in the running for Rodgers, they traded away all their collateral for Tua and then Hill

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Raiders had huge expenses.   

Moving costs 500 million.  Plus a stadium, which cost the Raiders however much.  Plus their 1st season in that stadium was wiped out by covid, so no one could come.

$500M to move?  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

$500M to move?  

https://www.nfl.com/news/los-angeles-relocation-fee-to-be-550-million-per-team-0ap3000000613870

To move an NFL franchise, the owner pays the league 550 million dollars.   On top of having to build a new stadium.

That idiot who owns the Chargers also spent 550 million to leave SD and rent space in LA, a city that does not support NFL football very well. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, cash outlays aren't the cap.

If a lot of the Raiders' cap is in $ already paid (looks like after cutting Carr it'd be ~$30MM of their cap was from past payments already made) then this is another $30MM they don't have to pay - and in theory, couldn't spend if they wanted to - this year. If Davis wanted to have a lean year in 2023 he could absolutely do it, and the worst way of having a lean year is to pre-pay his most expensive player all up front.

Lost in all this is Rodgers could give them a break on his contract, take less money from them, and still walk home with the same amount. Getting a $60MM check from the Jets comes with high state taxes; getting a $60MM check from the Raiders has $0 in state taxes. Also the state tax amount he'd pay in road games' states is negligible in comparison & not even a rounding number: it comes to like 2% of his pay as salary, and half of that would will be subject to state taxes, but a $68K/week he wouldn't reach anywhere near the marginal rate in those states anymore. Say it'd average 5% just to put a # on it would be $3-4K/week on just his 8-9 road games. Even if there are 9 road games you're talking about $30K in state income taxes on his $60MM. Federal he pays the same amount no matter where he goes, but compare that 0.0005% with the Raiders to the 10.75% he'd pay with the Jets (presuming it's NJ tax rates, not NY), and since it's not deductible on his federal taxes so it's pure cash loss. He's rich anyway, but nobody wants to pay $6MM more in taxes.

Also the reality is Rodgers has already acknowledged - and seemed amenable to - the reality that there's a good chance he'll have to restructure his contract for his next team.

The Jets will have to convince him the team is a better situation for him if he wants to win a ring. However he wants to put it:

• Adams is great but he's not going to keep getting better (unlike G.Wilson & co.);
  • Hackett as OC is of common mind with Rodgers, whose had plenty of clashes in the past, so better this instead of getting into a battle of whose offensive-brain ego is bigger with McDaniels;
  • The top 5 defense that shut him down last year should only get better from y2 to y3 like it did from y1 to y2; the Raiders' defense is garbage & needs 2 more years of acquisitions to even be in the discussion with Rob Ryan so set in his ways, too;
  • He won't need to restructure or take a pay cut if he doesn't want to;
  • He'll thrive when it's colder here unlike some dome & warm-weather teams, vs. every road team being comfortable in LV's dome;
  • He'll be worshiped here like the god he knows himself to be. Win a SB here and, like Namath, they'll talk about it for another half a century, doing the thing no one else on earth could do.

Plus I can come up with even more bullsh*t bullet point reasons if Douglas needs.

Aaron Rodgers is not making his decision based upon money. If you think that’s what will motivate him, you are mistaken. He has more money than God. 

2 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Aaron Rodgers is not making his decision based upon money. If you think that’s what will motivate him, you are mistaken. He has more money than God. 

No one suggested he's making his decision purely based upon money. But it's a fact that he'd keep several million more playing for the Raiders than the Jets, just from the 2023 season alone.

If he's on the fence, this could be a factor. No one gives away money, let alone that much.

This same fan base is convinced the Jets billionaire owner is worried about $4MM in tax-deductible head coach salary, but Rodgers who barely has a fraction of that saved up thinks nothing of losing twice that amount for the season (then repeat it again the season after). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one suggested he's making his decision purely based upon money. But it's a fact that he'd keep several million more playing for the Raiders than the Jets, just from the 2023 season alone.

If he's on the fence, this could be a factor. No one gives away money, let alone that much.

This same fan base is convinced the Jets billionaire owner is worried about $4MM in tax-deductible head coach salary, but Rodgers who barely has a fraction of that saved up thinks nothing of losing twice that amount for the season (then repeat it again the season after). 

He isn’t going to the Raiders over the Jets because of the money. I guarantee you that. He will restructure his contract for the team he wants to play for and the team the Packers get the compensation for in picks. Sorry but it’s not about the money when you are basically dealing with a difference of around 5-6 million in taxes, when you can restructure and give him bonuses to make up for it. His decision will be purely about where he wants to play. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

He isn’t going to the Raiders over the Jets because of the money. I guarantee you that. He will restructure his contract for the team he wants to play for and the team the Packers get the compensation for in picks. Sorry but it’s not about the money when you are basically dealing with a difference of around 5-6 million in taxes, when you can restructure and give him bonuses to make up for it. His decision will be purely about where he wants to play. 

He's never taken a "discount" on his contracts , why would he start now. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/los-angeles-relocation-fee-to-be-550-million-per-team-0ap3000000613870

To move an NFL franchise, the owner pays the league 550 million dollars.   On top of having to build a new stadium.

That idiot who owns the Chargers also spent 550 million to leave SD and rent space in LA, a city that does not support NFL football very well. 

Oh, ok.  I forgot they pay the league.  I was trying to figure how it could cost that much to physically move.  My bad

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You need players to have a good defense.  Then a coordinator to make it work.  Fish will be making cuts to the D.

Regardless, they’re not going to be in the running for Rodgers, they traded away all their collateral for Tua and then Hill

They can afford it, at least according to what Jets fans think his cost will be. Miami is a dark horse 

https://www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2022/11/1/23435725/miami-dolphins-trade-bradley-chubb-jeff-wilson-draft-picks-update-2023-2024-2025-future

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

We know why he doesn’t want to go to San Fran. Could be a similar reason why he doesn’t want to go to NY/NJ.  That could be our downfall. 

I would imagine he doesn’t want to go to San Fran because Shanahan runs that offense tip to stern from the sideline and Rodgers wants full control. Could be a reason he avoids the Raiders, too

7 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

They can afford it, at least according to what Jets fans think his cost will be. Miami is a dark horse 

https://www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2022/11/1/23435725/miami-dolphins-trade-bradley-chubb-jeff-wilson-draft-picks-update-2023-2024-2025-future

Just from living down here, there isn’t a player the fins aren’t in on.  There isn’t a player who doesn’t want to play for the fins.  
Tuas more than capable, would be stupid to trade for Rodgers.  Though owner Ross wants to be a big fish

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

You don't understand the salary cap and the difference between it and actual cash spending. 

Rodgers will count $15mm against the cap in 2023 - but they need to pay $60mm in cash today. There are multiple other players on the Raiders who also have a ton of guaranteed money - which more or less needs to go in escrow. Waller got $22mm guaranteed before the season. Adams signed a massive deal. When those contracts are signed the majority of the cash that is guaranteed needs to go in escrow. 

Mark Davis (like his father before him) have notoriously had cash flow issues. See: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/sports/football/las-vegas-raiders.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/raiders-too-cash-poor-to-fire-head-coach-josh-mcdaniels/

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/01/raiders-owner-mark-davis-lacked-funds-to-pay-khalil-mack/

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/las-vegas-raiders/nfl-world-reacts-to-the-troubling-raiders-josh-mcdaniels-rumor

https://www.raidersbeat.com/raiders-still-dealing-with-cash-flow-issue-after-move-to-las-vegas/

While several of those are blogs - they are quoting other sources. Like the last one is via a tweet from Mike Garafolo saying the raiders can't give a signing bonus on a $6mm contract b/c they are cash strapped. I don't think adding a 0 to that figure will help/ 

My mistake.  

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would imagine he doesn’t want to go to San Fran because Shanahan runs that offense tip to stern from the sideline and Rodgers wants full control. Could be a reason he avoids the Raiders, too

Carr and McDaniels didn’t fit. McDaniels really doesn’t fit with anyone other than Maybe Tom Brady and BB. Rodgers is a WCO guy and picking between McDaniels and Hackett, it’s not a contest. Obviously that’s not his only condition of picking a team, but it’s definitely an important one.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Oh, I didn't realize you'd given your guarantee.

Forgive me, lol. ;) 

• Haha 2