Derek Carr would be terrible here

JETS SB

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You say carr is the biggest risk, then you say you want jimmy g if not Rodgers. Jimmy G has a very very concerning injury history and is also bad in cold weather games. Your point doesn’t make sense 

As I said a few times, I think Jimmy G is less of a long term risk. He is a stop gap. Rodgers is who I want. Jimmy G wouldn’t cost us the crazy contract that Carr will demand. We get Carr and we are stuck with him. 

11 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

As I said a few times, I think Jimmy G is less of a long term risk. He is a stop gap. Rodgers is who I want. Jimmy G wouldn’t cost us the crazy contract that Carr will demand. We get Carr and we are stuck with him. 

This team is in win now mode with all these guys on rookie contracts. You don’t take a risk on jimmy g who’s average at best with a huge injury history when Carr is available who’s above average. I also want Rodgers, but Carr is my #2

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

It has nothing to do with the team around him stinking while it's cold out as well. Or the fact that several of those games were probably on the east coast.

This cold weather game stat is so overblown at this point.
All of the cold weather games had to be  road games, anywhere from 1-3 time zones away as you said, all were late in the season possibly against very good teams (Mahomes’ Chiefs for example) while the Raiders often were not good (late season bad team vs playoff teams).  I think there’s a bit of nuance to the 0-7 cold game stat.

• Upvote 1

What a take - that the crying in the press conference would go over poorly here as if we dont understand that he was literally pouring his heart into the game and they were still losing. 

I think Carr would really thrive once he has a defense and running game and would be a better qb for it.  I dont see the downside to paying him 4 years and $120 - its not our money and its our best chance to compete the next 4 years.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Garappolo isn't a long term risk because he'll be injured before the bye and the team will have to trot out somebody else to finish the season. Any team that starts Garappolo needs a near starter as a backup to finish the season. There's a reason no team wanted to trade for him. He's a good fit for Saleh and plays well enough when he's on the field but that's the problem.

If you want Rodgers, you can't complain about Carr's contract. Both have two year deals but Rodgers commands almost twice as much. If you think Tannehill is a better option, you can't complain about Carr's contract because they are due to be paid basically the same this year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

You have the wrong guy. I have supported Zach more than anyone here. If we are considering Zach a train wreck, get ready for a 200 million dollar disaster in Derek Carr. 

My post had nothing to do with supporting Zach Wilson. No idea what you are on about here. 

Carr is Joe Montana compared to Zach Wilson 

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

What else have we done for the last two decades? 

Carr at his worst, would be the best quarterback we have had in your lifetime. 

That's true if you are 18 years old.   The Jets have had some good QBs since Namath.  O'Brien, Testaverde, Pennington.  Even Todd had good seasons in 1981 and 82.  I don't think the Jets had good QB play since 2004 though.  

In some ways, I'd rather sign Carr than trade for and pay Rodgers for two seasons.  It's less risky and has greater long term upside.  It likely won't require a trade and will cost less money, meaning the Jets can put a better team around Carr than Rodgers. And Carr is significantly younger.  Rodgers is an old man and is beginning to play like one.

Jimmy G.

2018. week 3 tore his ACL out for the season.

2019. lead team to SB.

2020. week 2 vs Jets leaves at halftime with ankle sprain. misses next 2 games. week 8 leaves in 4th qt due to high ankle sprain. misses the rest of the season.

2021. misses 2 games with calf injury.

2022. week 13 injures foot and has surgery. misses rest of the year.

bad injury history. we should not even consider him. if we get him Zach will be starting by mid season and finishing any hopes of the playoffs.

49 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I think it's important to remember that every player in the entire NFL sucks, so we don't want ANY of them.

So over the stupidity. Beggars can't be choosers, dipsh*ts.

With the exception of Minshew. Some how people think he’s actually good.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

What a take - that the crying in the press conference would go over poorly here as if we dont understand that he was literally pouring his heart into the game and they were still losing. 

I think Carr would really thrive once he has a defense and running game and would be a better qb for it.  I dont see the downside to paying him 4 years and $120 - its not our money and its our best chance to compete the next 4 years.

He had the best RB in the NFL, a better offensive line and Davante Adams this past year. How’d he do? Has he ever won anything or put the team on his back ? Like Aaron Rodgers ?

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Yup. But small investments. Carr is not the answer for the investment we would have to make. Rodgers is the only sensible option. 

I respectfully disagree.  

If Rodgers costs $50mm, plus an exploding cap hit when he retires, plus high draft picks, that just seems like took much.

Carr for a straight $40mm+ seems like a better deal.

But in my heart I don’t see Carr coming to the Jets for reasons others have said.

I think Woody is the only NFL sucker to pay the price for Rodgers, and the Packers jump at the chance to reboot and move on with a significant but manageable hit. 

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

Jimmy G.

2018. week 3 tore his ACL out for the season.

2019. lead team to SB.

2020. week 2 vs Jets leaves at halftime with ankle sprain. misses next 2 games. week 8 leaves in 4th qt due to high ankle sprain. misses the rest of the season.

2021. misses 2 games with calf injury.

2022. week 13 injures foot and has surgery. misses rest of the year.

bad injury history. we should not even consider him. if we get him Zach will be starting by mid season and finishing any hopes of the playoffs.

Jimmy G and his injury history has a Spotrac MV of $35mm.  I think he gets that for 3+ years.  

With Zach already on the roster, hopefully Hackett can make some progress with him and Zach and step in for 4+ games when Jimmy G is hurt.  That puts the Jets at $45mm for QB cap cost, which is a lot, but not unlike many other teams.  

This might make this fanbase happy:

Completed passes, 1st downs, successful plays, points scored on offense.

Carr’s personality or the “made for NY” narrative has little to do with anything.  He’s proven himself as a competent NFL starter.

He is light years ahead of the only current QB under contract, ZW.  It’s a joke.

Carr actually runs checks at the LOS, can read a defense, audible, adjust protections, etc.

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

Jimmy G and his injury history has a Spotrac MV of $35mm.  I think he gets that for 3+ years.  

With Zach already on the roster, hopefully Hackett can make some progress with him and Zach and step in for 4+ games when Jimmy G is hurt.  That puts the Jets at $45mm for QB cap cost, which is a lot, but not unlike many other teams.  

Over the Cap has Jimmy G at $17m which is probably closer to his true value. I think he'll split the difference and end up with $23-25m per year. I don't think Spotrac took into account missing the 2nd half of the season.

41 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

and he shouldn’t.  

So basically, he will be cut and not traded. He isn’t going to help the Raiders by accepting a trade. If he is traded, he can just veto the trade. He knows he can get more on the open market.  The current contract will be done. He will be a free agent and can sign with anyone. 5 or 6 years and 200 million minimum. Do we want to pay him this amount of money?

4 hours ago, BurntDice said:

You say carr is the biggest risk, then you say you want jimmy g if not Rodgers. Jimmy G has a very very concerning injury history and is also bad in cold weather games. Your point doesn’t make sense 

Jimmy G has played one game in cold weather. One. And although he didn’t have great stats, they won the game. So I wouldn’t exactly say he is bad in cold weather.  Not having experience in cold games isn’t exactly a good thing either, but the solution for that is, trade for frickin Aaron Rodgers.  

• Haha 1

if you had to put odds on it ... list the probable top 3 QBs that the Jets acquire vs your more desired.

Probable :

1. Tannehill

2. Jimmy G

3. G Minshew

Desired :

1. Rogers

2. Carr

3. Lamar Jackson

Dark Horses :

1. Baker

2. Darnold

3. Mike White