Derek Carr would be terrible here

JETS SB

40 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd be thrilled if we landed Carr. Prefer Rodgers if we can get him for a decent trade price but Carr is heavily underrated by many on here.

This is where I'm at.  If Rodgers costs us a couple of 2nds, he's my choice.  Hell, even if it's a 2nd and a pick that becomes a 1st based on XYZ.  I still do it.  Other than that, if GB stands firm on needing a 1st - especially the 13th this year - I go all out for Carr.  Exhaust that avenue first at the very least before deciding to part with that kind of trade package.  

I just doubt the Jets are even interested in Carr though.  I think whoever they get, the priority will be keeping a window open for Zach to take over.  

21 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Watched the Pittsburgh game last year. It was an embarrassment. Zach Wilson like. The stats speak for themselves. It’s not the trade compensation I am worried about.  It’s the 6 year 200 million dollar contract we would have to sign him to. 

So you watched one of the seven games?  As I said, if you have a good QB, you're going to have to pay him.  That's the reality of the NFL.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

So you watched one of the seven games?  As I said, if you have a good QB, you're going to have to pay him.  That's the reality of the NFL.

You want to risk 5 or 6 years on this guy? Good luck with that. Rodgers and to a much lesser extent Jimmy G, have to be our only options. Carr is a sh*t show waiting to happen and hamstring this franchise for a long time. Never proven to be a winner. Had a lot of offensive talent around him and has failed. Ask Raiders fans their opinion of him. There is a reason they are moving on from him with no viable option behind him.

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, JETS SB said:

You want to risk 5 or 6 years on this guy? Good luck with that. Rodgers and to a much lesser extent Jimmy G, have to be our only options. Carr is a sh*t show waiting to happen and hamstring this franchise for a long time. Never proven to be a winner. Had a lot of offensive talent around him and has failed. Ask Raiders fans their opinion of him. There is a reason they are moving on from him with no viable option behind him.

Although I think Carr certainly isn’t worth the 35 million or so he’s going to earn he still is a decent QB and the best alternative on the Raiders roster so I really don’t understand why they are letting him go unless it’s just about the dollars

And isn’t Josh McDaniels the one who wanted Tebow over Cutler as his QB when he was in Denver? I understand that Cutler wasn’t the second coming of Elway but he was head and shoulders above Tebow So I really am not putting too much stock in McDaniels ability to evaluate the QB position. 

On 2/4/2023 at 7:19 AM, JETS SB said:

Sorry you're poorly informed.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:19 AM, JETS SB said:

Carr is a poor man's Stafford.   His numbers prove that.   He is significantly better than Jimmy G and significantly subordinate to AaRon 

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

Rodgers is far and away the best option and makes us legit contenders. So we probably won’t get him because we’re not allowed to have nice things.

Carr is the next best option. I understand people’s hesitancy but I don’t understand the hate either (especially if not giving up picks).

• Garoppolo when healthy is as good as Carr but with those injuries has to be rated as a notch below…but will also be cheaper than Carr.

If we’re lucky to get any of these guys the issue is none of them are long-term and I’m not sure we’re winning a Super Bowl with any of them, including Rodgers (but with him at least we have a shot).

We need to be drafting and developing someone to take over in a couple of years.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Rodgers is far and away the best option and makes us legit contenders. So we probably won’t get him because we’re not allowed to have nice things.

Carr is the next best option. I understand people’s hesitancy but I don’t understand the hate either (especially if not giving up picks).

• Garoppolo when healthy is as good as Carr but with those injuries has to be rated as a notch below…but will also be cheaper than Carr.

If we’re lucky to get any of these guys the issue is none of them are long-term and I’m not sure we’re winning a Super Bowl with any of them, including Rodgers (but with him at least we have a shot).

We need to be drafting and developing someone to take over in a couple of years.

I think that someone is Zach in the teams plans. Like it or not. 

3 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

And that’s fine, but I would hope if the right prospect is available at any point in this draft we take him and try and develop both.

When the Eagles drafted Hurts, Wentz was still seen as their franchise guy and now look.

Keep investing in QBs…even if you have your guy…keep drafting and developing. I’d take one every year.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Football guy said this prior, and now Cimini. You wonder what the deal is with Carr behind the scenes. Teammates seem to like him, but clearly something is missing with this guy.

Cimini throwing spaghetti at the fridge.

Here’s a few I’ll try to find more

Week 17, 2014 vs.  Broncos

40 degrees, 7 MPH winds.

Carr’s first game in under 40-degree weather came Week 17 of the 2014 season against the Denver Broncos. The Broncos went into the game 11-4 and the Raiders 3-12 with the latter team fan base wanting a loss for draft position. It was a mismatch before the first snap, and it played out that way in the final score of 47-14.

The 2014 Raiders could make the case of being the worst team the organization put on the field this decade and was on full display every moment of the game. Carr struggled to complete passes going 18 of 36 with a wretched YPA of 4.39 and an additional three drops. No one was open for Carr all game, but early on, the Raiders were hanging in and were able to sustain good drives in the second half.

The biggest miss of the game was on a flea-flicker where Carr had André Holmes wide open, but the wide receiver slowed down, causing an overthrow. The game was 30-14 at that point and could have made it a one-score game with a two-point conversion

After that, the game got out of hand. The Raiders were put on lockdown for the rest of the matchup. Carr didn’t play well for sure, but if the Raiders pulled this one out, it would have been a colossal upset. Mark this one as a just bad team overmatched.

Week 17, 2015 vs. Chiefs

37 degrees, 7 MPH winds

2015 season was basically a preview of what the future of the Raiders that ended not even lasting the decade. The Raiders came into the game just attempting to not have a losing season. The Chiefs were the hottest team in football after starting the season 1-5 and on nine-game winning streak coming into the game.

Carr was pedestrian in this game, throwing 21-33 198 yards with a touchdown and an interception. However, he was sacked 6 times, and his receivers didn’t help with an additional three drops, and the whole offense looked flat. Ugliest play of the game was during a red-zone trip where Carr was targeting Amari Cooper and threw up a desperate heave attempting to find Cooper in the back of the end zone that ended in an interception ruining a promising drive.

The Raiders could not sustain drives in this game, leading to a high amount of three and outs, with Carr having a QBR of 21.2 on the day. Technically this is Carr’s best game in the cold, and if the rest of the offense showed up, the numbers on this one might have been different.

Week 14, 2016 vs. Chiefs

21 degrees, 7 MPH winds

Arrowhead is the theme for these games, and this one is the infamous spider wire game. The biggest game for the Raiders this decade and man was this a clunker for the Raiders quarterback. The historically lousy performance is one of the main drivers of this whole conversation about his play on bad weather.

To be fair, Carr did break his finger on his throwing hand two weeks before and could not take snaps under center. His finger was a problem all game with him barely able to catch snaps from the shotgun formation. Carr completed just 17 of 41 passes for 117 yards in the game, he joined only Jesse Palmer as the only quarterbacks since 1950 to gain fewer than 120 passing yards on more than 40 attempts.

The receivers didn’t show up again, adding another 5 drops, according to PFF, with the biggest one coming from Seth Roberts in the red zone for a touchdown.

Carr pass hits SpiderCam wire. #Raiderspic.twitter.com/Io77P132Pu

— Raider Posts (@RaiderPosts) December 9, 2016

The Raiders had every chance to win this game, and the play to Cooper where the ball moved at the last second will live infamy with Raiders fans. The defense did show up for this game, causing three turnovers, but the injury to Carr’s finger was too much to overcome once it became a factor in the game for him mentally.

Week 16, 2017 vs. Eagles

29 Degrees, 15 MPH Winds

The last game Carr has played in bad weather came against the Philadelphia Eagles during their run to the super bowl. Carr was awful this whole game when the Raiders defense and running game came to play. Carr, on the other hand, was the reason for the Raiders losing this game.

The game started off positive with Carr finding Cooper on a 63-yard touchdown early in the second quarter, and the Raiders defense feasted on Nick Foles, causing him to be under pressure all night.

The offense, on the other hand, could not move the football, and Carr was missing throws all night and had no flow with his receiving corps to make plays. He ended up throwing a back-breaking interception that led to the game-winning field goal for the Eagles late in the game-sealing another loss for the 2017 Raiders.

This game was a turning point for the Raiders franchise as the man calling this football game was Jon Gruden. Just three weeks later, he was named the Oakland Raiders new head coach, and a fresh rebuild began towards the future in Las Vegas.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:50 AM, bonkertons said:

This is where I'm at.  If Rodgers costs us a couple of 2nds, he's my choice.  Hell, even if it's a 2nd and a pick that becomes a 1st based on XYZ.  I still do it.  Other than that, if GB stands firm on needing a 1st - especially the 13th this year - I go all out for Carr.  Exhaust that avenue first at the very least before deciding to part with that kind of trade package.  

I just doubt the Jets are even interested in Carr though.  I think whoever they get, the priority will be keeping a window open for Zach to take over.  

Even with Carr the window for Zach is still open. If Carr becomes a FA his contract gets redone and walk options can be put in after 2 years . And in the luckiest scenario ZW's light goes on and Carr is still playing well , giving the Jets trade options of either potentially. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Even with Carr the window for Zach is still open. If Carr becomes a FA his contract gets redone and walk options can be put in after 2 years . And in the luckiest scenario ZW's light goes on and Carr is still playing well , giving the Jets trade options of either potentially. 

I mean it's easy to say this, but in reality no, the window won't be open even if you structure the contract in a way where you can move on from him after 2  years.  If Carr is playing like Carr in two years, there is no way the Jets will take that gamble on Zach replacing him, no matter how good he looks in practice or no matter how much the team starts liking him or how much he matures.  

...and if Carr isn't playing like Carr in two years, well may god have mercy on our souls.  

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I mean it's easy to say this, but in reality no, the window won't be open even if you structure the contract in a way where you can move on from him after 2  years.  If Carr is playing like Carr in two years, there is no way the Jets will take that gamble on Zach replacing him, no matter how good he looks in practice or no matter how much the team starts liking him or how much he matures.  

...and if Carr isn't playing like Carr in two years, well may god have mercy on our souls.  

I guess what I'm saying is if the Jets are still interested in developing ZW it doesn't matter who the QB is next year and probably in 2024. People thinking AR is going to mentor ZW need their skulls checked. If ZW is going to develop the  onus is first and foremost on him followed by the Jets CS to put in the required time and effort to make it happen.  

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They’re not putting Zach in cold storage for two years. If they’re serious about developing him, they’ll go sign Jacoby Brissett or Andy Dalton to a one year, $15 million dollar deal. If it’s true that they’re serious players for Rodgers, Zach is done as a Jet.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re not putting Zach in cold storage for two years. If they’re serious about developing him, they’ll go sign Jacoby Brissett or Andy Dalton to a one year, $15 million dollar deal. If it’s true that they’re serious players for Rodgers, Zach is done as a Jet.

There's no difference in the reps he should get if AR,  Brissett or Dalton are at QB in 2023. The real work needs to be put in off season , in TC, PS  and in the classroom. 2024 becomes the focal point ,if AR was signed ( does he retire) , Is Carr playing at a high enough level or does the team want to spend another season with  a Brissett , Dalton or Winston type QB . 

Again if the Jets intend that they are committed to develop ZW then it does not matter who the starter is at that point.  I know that wont make his haters happy but that's just the way it is. Now if the Jets are simply blowing smoke and have no intention of ever working with ZW again  , I suspect he's gone before the start of 2023. 

On 2/4/2023 at 2:19 AM, JETS SB said:

You want to risk 5 or 6 years on this guy? Good luck with that. . Carr is a sh*t show waiting to happen and hamstring this franchise for a long time. Never proven to be a winner. Had a lot of offensive talent around him and has failed. Ask Raiders fans their opinion of him. There is a reason they are moving on from him with no viable option behind him.

you keep saying this over and over and over but it's only your opinion and a disgruntled fan base opinion.  All disgruntled fan bases will attack QB and OC first and  foremost..  We heard ya loud and clear.  Let me know when you provide some facts other than fan opinion and a weather map. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

you keep saying this over and over and over but it's only your opinion and a disgruntled fan base opinion.  All disgruntled fan bases will attack QB and OC first and  foremost..  We heard ya loud and clear.  Let me know when you provide some facts other than fan opinion and a weather map. 

Isn’t everyone’s take an opinion? I based my statements on fact. Maybe i will be wrong and what is expected, won’t happen. If we aren’t able to post our opinion, there is no forum. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, agree that "developing" Zach for 2 years is a no go.  Don't they have to decide after this season about a 5th year option?

However, I could see them maybe keeping him this year with Rodgers b/c of AR's unpredictability.  If the Jets get him and the season goes south and he wants out or threatens to retire for the umpteenth time, ZW could be a fall back option for 2024, assuming he looks improved with the new OC and all.

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I already did that.  You sound like every fan who said the  Rams were dumb to trade for Stafford because he never won anything.

Carr's defense has given up more points than any team in the NFL since he was drafted.  If that were the case and he sucked, he'd be 50 games under .500.  He plays for a braindead organization that has not only given him no stability, but who actually fired the only two head coaches to go to the playoffs with Carr before the following season got under way.  Also has 22 career 4th quarter comebacks.  But in fairness, that number might be lower if his defense wasn't consistently among league leaders in points allowed.

He stays healthy.  He plays at a high level.  He stays out of trouble and has navigated a sh*tload of adversity for one of the few organizations that has been more dysfunctional than the Jets this decade.

Blaming Carr’s inability to succeed on the “braindead organization” he is playing for, doesn’t make me feel any better about him coming here. But I guess he’s an upgrade. ? 

4 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Blaming Carr’s inability to succeed on the “braindead organization” he is playing for, doesn’t make me feel any better about him coming here. But I guess he’s an upgrade. ? 

That's what you're missing.  Given the circumstances, Carr achieved more with less than tons of other QB's would have.  QB is the main thing, but not the only thing.  Matthew Stafford was a failure when he had a trash supporting cast.  The support got better and he won a ring.  Talent matters from 1-53, not just 1.

• Upvote 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:28 PM, JTJet said:

What else have we done for the last two decades? 

Carr at his worst, would be the best quarterback we have had in your lifetime. 

So would Mike White be if he was allowed to play all the time like Carr. Carr is 32 next month. Past his prime years, and he certainly was never prime rib.

18 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

I think the play should be get one of the 3.   Keep Zach working in the background in the hope he figures it out and also drafting someone.   2nd rnd.   mid round whatever.   Don't follow college that closely, but have seen some names thrown around on this board by posters that do that sound intriguing.   And tbh, I am signing another vet at league minumum so Wilson or the draft pick don't see the field unless they are ready.   Wilson should not have played again this season once he was benched.   There are issues there that clearly weren't going to be fixed in a week or two.

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So would Mike White be if he was allowed to play all the time like Carr. Carr is 32 next month. Past his prime years, and he certainly was never prime rib.

"Allowed to play" 

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Here I'll fix that for you...

If Mike White could stay healthy for more than a quarter 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There's basically no fallacy people won't entertain when it comes to Carr at this point.

• Sympathy 1