Jake Haener

ElBarrioJets

Curious to see what the draftniks think of this guy. With White leaving, Flacco probably retiring and Wilson being a disaster, even if we bring in Rodgers/Carr/Lamar, we need another young QB in the pipeline. 

Would Haener be a fit in Hackett's offense? Who else we looking to take a flyer on at QB with a mid-round pick?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Curious to see what the draftniks think of this guy. With White leaving, Flacco probably retiring and Wilson being a disaster, even if we bring in Rodgers/Carr/Lamar, we need another young QB in the pipeline. 

Would Haener be a fit in Hackett's offense? Who else we looking to take a flyer on at QB with a mid-round pick?

Of the 3 QBs we had this past year, only 1 (MFW) was effective and showed promise.  Of course, that's the one we expect to be "leaving".  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of the 3 QBs we had this past year, only 1 (MFW) was effective and showed promise.  Of course, that's the one we expect to be "leaving".  

Yeah dude. That's the reality. MFW is not going to come back here to be a backup behind another vet when he can get into a QB competition somewhere else. The Jets don't have the cap to bring in a vet AND pay Mike White. 

For the love of Christ, can this thread NOT devolve into QB bitching and stick to draft prospects?

3rd QB predictions?  Guys they might have in  - Chris Streveler.  They like him.  Might be nice as a 3rd QB that you can keep on the practice squad who adds a different dimension and might actually help prep for running QBs.  Brett Rypien - he was in Denver with Hackett, but I think he was there for 2 years already and is an RFA because apparently he doesn't have 4 qualifying years.  Tim Boyle who was with Hackett in GB.  He is a UFA and also was with GB a year before Hackett got there.  James Morgan was somebody that Douglas obviously liked.  I heard Bortles mentioned because he was with Hackett in Jacksonville.  I would assume most likely is that they would be looking pretty hard at mid to late rounders and the UDFA class.  

I watched the highlights on Haener.  Has anybody actually commented on him yet?  The first full minute is nothing but deep posts.  IMO that is the easiest throw to make.  Particularly in highlights where any picks from a roving safety will be conveniently left out.  I have no real idea about the prospect, but highlights are a tough way to judge QBs.  Usually holding the ball fairly long and heaving it deep.   Anybody who actually watches games know much about this kid or am I back to reading draft profiles from the usual cast of basement dwellers?

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

because we can't pay Rodgers/Carr, Zach Wilson, and MFW.

I get why.  I'm just saying that this is the kind of sh-t that happens to this franchise.

57 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Yeah dude. That's the reality. MFW is not going to come back here to be a backup behind another vet when he can get into a QB competition somewhere else. The Jets don't have the cap to bring in a vet AND pay Mike White. 

For the love of Christ, can this thread NOT devolve into QB bitching and stick to draft prospects?

When we get the next Mahomes/Burrow/Trevor Lawrence then I promise I'll stop bitching about our QB situation!  :)

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Big fan of Haener and he’s exactly the type of QB we should be drafting given all the points you made - We’re drafting a vet & Wilson is re-setting.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the highlights.  Looks like he's got a big arm and is accurate but there were a lot of clean pockets, wide open WRs and blowout games (so no pressure).  This article projects him as "early day 3".  I'd roll the dice with him in the 4th round.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jake-haener-qb-fresno-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just watched the highlights.  Looks like he's got a big arm and is accurate but there were a lot of clean pockets, wide open WRs and blowout games (so no pressure).  This article projects him as "early day 3".  I'd roll the dice with him in the 4th round.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jake-haener-qb-fresno-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

FWIW, DJ had him as one of the 10 biggest winners at the Sr. Bowl. Said was the most impressive QB there and the ball comes extremely fast and he is very accurate.

• Upvote 2

On 2/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, ElBarrioJets said:

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, ElBarrioJets said:

My fav sleeper QB of the draft... diff scouting reports: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/jake-haener-d9059b47-4403-4237-bcdf-b79d00a69c48/

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jake-Haener-QB-FresnoState

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/02/jake-haener-scouting-report-fresno-state-university-qb-2023-nfl-draft/

• Upvote 3

On 2/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, ElBarrioJets said:

Yeah dude. That's the reality. MFW is not going to come back here to be a backup behind another vet when he can get into a QB competition somewhere else.

I'm curious who you think is going to sign Mike White to have him start or in an open competition to start.  I'm not seeing it.

On topic:  Haener is likely trash, as are most of the mid-to-later-round QB's in this not-exactly-great QB class. Another undersized guy, one of the smallest in this class (only Young seems to be shorter).  Missed time in one of his two years as a starter.  

Pass.

I don't see JD drafting a QB this cycle, personally. 

FA-or-trade Starter/Wilson/Cheap Veteran Backup is what I'd predict. 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm curious who you think is going to sign Mike White to have him start or in an open competition to start.  I'm not seeing it.

On topic:  Haener is likely trash, as are most of the mid-to-later-round QB's in this not-exactly-great QB class. Another undersized guy, one of the smallest in this class (only Young seems to be shorter).  Missed time in one of his two years as a starter.  

Pass.

I don't see JD drafting a QB this cycle, personally. 

FA-or-trade Starter/Wilson/Cheap Veteran Backup is what I'd predict. 

It's pure economics. There aren't enough QBs floating around with actual NFL starting experience. MFW will go somewhere to be a backup/camp competition because another team will have the budget to do so. We clearly don't have the money to re-sign him. 

Thanks for the Haener takes ya'll! Interesting to see where he falls on draft day. 

3 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

It's pure economics. There aren't enough QBs floating around with actual NFL starting experience. MFW will go somewhere to be a backup/camp competition because another team will have the budget to do so. We clearly don't have the money to re-sign him. 

I think Mike White's options are going to be materially less than Jets Fans make it out.

No chance I see him getting a chance to compete to start anywhere in the NFL.  

He's a backup, he'll be offered low-cost backup money at best, if he even gets that.  There is a whole flotilla of Mike White's out there.

For example, why would anyone want Mike White when Taylor Heinicke is available as well, as is just as good and 10x as durable?  And he's just one of a sea of similar type guys.

White's injuries have (IMO) all but murdered his market options.  If the Jets want, I think he could be retained.  I just don't want him retained all that much, lol.  He got his shot, he was like a china cup.  Pass on china cups.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think Mike White's options are going to be materially less than Jets Fans make it out.

He's a backup, he'll be offered low-cost backup money at best, if he even gets that.  There is a whole flotilla of Mike White's out there.

For example, why would anyone want Mike White when Taylor Heinicke is available as well, as is just as good and 10x as durable?  And he's just one of a sea of similar type guys.

White's injuries have (IMO) all but murdered his market options.  If the Jets want, I think he could be retained.  I just don't want him retained all that much, lol.  He got his shot, he was like a china cup.  Pass on china cups.

Oh agreed, I think the Jets need to turn the page on White, but the QB position is weird. White is sitting in a group of FAs like Teddy B, Minshew, Brissett, Heinecke, etc., but White at least has the benefit of being one of the younger QBs on the market (28). 

If he signs a vet minimum deal, I'll come back here and eat sh*t. But I think he may actually be a hot commodity come FA. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

You're getting my hopes up that MFW might be back.  I don't think he will be but I like all this "Mike White's options are going to be materially less than Jets Fans make it out" talk.