Carr granted permission to talk to teams

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If it was me I'd be after him if I was the jets.  I am not waiting around to get dicked around by the packers and Rodgers.  Rodgers may be the top guy ability wise but that gap is not as big as it once was imo.

Carr will be cheaper to acquire and you get your QB issue resolved quickly.

I do not think Carr is all about money, he is going to be paid well so if your team really shows you want him he may go to you.

Carr will be off he board soon and then the jets are looking like Jimmy G and Rodgers and the packers start looking like the the chesire cat.

I agree.

The Jets need to be assertive and MAKE SURE they get one of the better QB's. I say take Carr, if they can, and be happy.  Much as I would like to see Rodgers as our QB, I think it's taking too much of a chance if we wait for him. Hell, at this point, we're not even sure he won't retire. If we wait, anything can and will go wrong.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

Why? This gives him the leverage to go to the team he wants.

Open Market > Restricted Market

There may be teams that would pay more but not give up picks or teams that could increase their offer on open market. There is zero benefit for him to accept a trade before Feb 15,

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Seems like Carr will be first QB moved, if JD doesn’t make a move for him he’s all in on Rodgers 

Carr will be the first QB moved, or at least the first to have his choice/option entertained.  If the NYJ do not have some even tacit agreement with GB prior to Carr's release before 2/15, I would expect them to go after Carr pretty hard in either a trade/FA agreement.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MysticalJet2 said:

What the Jets do here tells us everything about their commitment to Zach.  You don’t bring Carr in if you believe Zach is the long term answer, which is why I think they go all in with Rogers.

Why?

They can work a contract to have an out in year 3 pretty easy; hell, if Carr agrees to a trade proposal, his current deal allows that already.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

The big stand off has been the Raiders wanting Carr to issue a list of teams so that they can agree on comp before letting him speak with them. Carr was initially reluctant so at the very least he must’ve relented. 

There are a lot of reasons why Carr would welcome a trade. For one, is it worth it for him to wait and see if the Raiders are bluffing about the deadline? They can always hold him past it and then try to trade him… it’s not like they wouldn’t find another partner, only difference being Carr may have less control where he goes. Also, he wants to keep the terms of his current deal (no trade/franchise) and any team acquiring him is locked in with him for at least 2 years. It’s a happy medium between betting on himself and being able to get another contract in 2-3 years while having a very good and secure contract situation. 

Can't believe the Raiders are going to pay Carr $40 million while he's still on the roster after 2/15, while he STILL controls where he goes after that date as he has a full NTC in his contract.  That's insane.

Then again, it is the Raiders.

2 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Because he has shown what a winner he is and how great he will be in anything other than an indoor 72 degree environment. Rodgers is the one and only trade we should be trying for. If we want to win, that is. 

Yeah, I'd rather have Rodgers too....but if something with him and GB doesn't happen pretty quick, like in the next 7-10 days, the NYJ cannot sit on the sidelines while Carr, the next best option, goes elsewhere.

Timing is going to be a BIG part of the QB shuffle coming up....and Carr fits the NYJ timeline better than Rodgers considering the current status.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

If the packers don’t want to trade Rodgers in the conference, could the raiders feel the same way?

The Raiders do not have the same degree of latitude with Carr as it relates to trades that the BGP have with Rodgers.  One has a NTC, one does not.  One has a contract forcing date of 2/15, one does not.

3 hours ago, football guy said:

The big stand off has been the Raiders wanting Carr to issue a list of teams so that they can agree on comp before letting him speak with them. Carr was initially reluctant so at the very least he must’ve relented. 

There are a lot of reasons why Carr would welcome a trade. For one, is it worth it for him to wait and see if the Raiders are bluffing about the deadline? They can always hold him past it and then try to trade him… it’s not like they wouldn’t find another partner, only difference being Carr may have less control where he goes. Also, he wants to keep the terms of his current deal (no trade/franchise) and any team acquiring him is locked in with him for at least 2 years. It’s a happy medium between betting on himself and being able to get another contract in 2-3 years while having a very good and secure contract situation. 

Sounds like people had the story twisted. They are still at a standoff because Raiders won’t let Carr talk to teams without coming to an understanding on compensation first; Carr claims he can’t provide a list/teams won’t produce compensation without speaking first. 

There are 3 scenarios that can play out:

1. Carr and interested teams relent and negotiate with Raiders in good faith, culminating in a trade; 
  2. Raiders prove they’re not bluffing, let the 15th come and go, put the cash into escrow which would then prompt sincere trade efforts by all parties involved; or 
  3. Raiders are caught bluffing and they release Carr prior to the guaranteed salary trigger kicks in. 
  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Sounds like people had the story twisted. They are still at a standoff because Raiders won’t let Carr talk to teams without coming to an understanding on compensation first; Carr claims he can’t provide a list/teams won’t produce compensation without speaking first. 

There are 3 scenarios that can play out:

1. Carr and interested teams relent and negotiate with Raiders in good faith, culminating in a trade; 
  2. Raiders prove they’re not bluffing, let the 15th come and go, put the cash into escrow which would then prompt sincere trade efforts by all parties involved; or 
  3. Raiders are caught bluffing and they release Carr prior to the guaranteed salary trigger kicks in. 

Not sure there's a story to twist here.

1.  Carr, and interested teams, can relent and talk trade with the Raiders.  Not much impetus for doing so for Carr, but teams might want to keep him from hitting the open market while flipping the Raiders some kind of draft choice which won't be all that much IMO as the deal has to work for both the Raiders AND Carr.  Carr might have a soft spot for is exit from the Raiders being that they get 'something'.  Carr's a genuine guy, sure he wants the best for everyone involved...but he's not going to be stupid in the process.

2.  Raiders let the 15th come and go, and $40 million is put into escrow...so what?  Last I checked, escrow funds still belong to the party with a contractural legal agreement to the money which is Carr...who still has a full NTC in that contract.  That's a LOT of risk for the Raiders for a QB they sat at the end of the season to avoid injury which would have guaranteed the rest of his current contract still in effect.

3. they will release him prior to 2/15 as their bluff isn't much of one.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The Raiders do not have the same degree of latitude with Carr as it relates to trades that the BGP have with Rodgers.  One has a NTC, one does not.  One has a contract forcing date of 2/15, one does not.

True, but they don’t have to accept a trade offer and could prefer to ship him to the NFC 

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

True, but they don’t have to accept a trade offer and could prefer to ship him to the NFC 

They cannot ship him anywhere he does not want to go...HE has a NTC, not the Raiders.  They can prefer to send him where they want but it ain't their choice if Carr refuses.

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

They cannot ship him anywhere he does not want to go...HE has a NTC, not the Raiders.  They can prefer to send him where they want but it ain't their choice if Carr refuses.

Not going to go around and around with you. There is a real possibility that the raiders have preferences and one of them could be the conference.  I’m sure you’re big enough to concede that 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not going to go around and around with you. There is a real possibility that the raiders have preferences and one of them could be the conference.  I’m sure you’re big enough to concede that 

I am.  But they have until the 15th of Feb to find an NFC team willing to 1. offer them a deal they want, and 2. Make the deal with and NFC team that Carr wants to go to.

Guess we'll see...and if they do, obviously the Jets are out of the Carr sweepstakes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

But how does Rodgers play in 62 degree weather on Mondays , I heard he's  0-2 . Quick start the meme AR can't play in moderate weather.  A seven game sample is flat out ridiculous . 

A 7 game example would be ridiculous if he wasn’t flat out awful in all 7 games and good to better in most of the other games. 

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How many of those games were vs the Chiefs?  Denver?  Beating those teams on the road in the cold is no easy task.  

Was terrible vs the Steelers. Doesn’t matter. He is terrible in the cold and half our games will be in that weather specifically any playoffs games against the good teams of the AFC. But hey get your guy. Pay him 200 mil to be terrible. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Was terrible vs the Steelers. Doesn’t matter. He is terrible in the cold and half our games will be in that weather specifically any playoffs games against the good teams of the AFC. But hey get your guy. Pay him 200 mil to be terrible. 

I'd rather have a motivated 32 year old Carr at $30-40 mill per and hold onto top draft picks than a disinterested fading 39 year old Rodgers for $60 million per plus multiple high draft picks.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Jets going in for Carr early will force Rodgers to commit one way or another bc Jets getting Carr hurts Rodgers market (can rodgers risk Jets are off the table in a market?). it will force his decision. If he wants Jets he’d have to be proactive. 

This is what JD should be doing. Dangle with the Carr; Strike with the Rodgers.

I’ve never liked Carr and his sudden availability doesn’t make him much more appealing. To me, he’s upper mediocrity. I get that upper mediocrity beats the outright sucking we’re generally used to, but I’m disinterested. 

I think Rodgers is the play because they do still want to try to develop Zach - however unpalatable that may be to most fans. They’ve got the #2 pick and $35M sunk there, and I’m sure they’d like to get something out of it. If not Rodgers, it’ll be another QB they can easily move on from in a year or two. 

The (not entirely definitive) deadline with Carr doesn’t make him any better. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Jets should 100% be in on this. Rodgers is a better option but I don't think you should wait for his decision

But if he does not want to waive his no trade for us.  Or if the Raiders don't want to trade him in the AFC, its not gonna happen.  I am guessing he ends up in the NFC South.  The good news is that Carr can talk to other teams, so if he has not interest in the Jets, we should at least know that now.

For us, I think it comes down to Rodgers or pivot Jimmy G.

• Upvote 2