Carr granted permission to talk to teams

Rhg1084

I think one factor to consider here is just how long does Douglas intend to stay jets gm? We know his contract was for 6 but I think woody wants a long term management team in place like the giants and George young.  Same thing with saleh. Teams like the Steelers just don’t run through coaches. The patsies have had the bellichicken for 20+ seasons.  So, the qb Douglas wants may very well be the guy to take him into his next contract.  Is that Carr?  Or maybe Douglas is set on Zach being that guy.  Hard to tell.  If Carr is talking to teams I hope he’s talking to the jets even though I prefer Rodgers or Jimmie g.

I want what’s best for the jets and to take advantage of having those talented players.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

But if he does not want to waive his no trade for us.  Or if the Raiders don't want to trade him in the AFC, its not gonna happen.  I am guessing he ends up in the NFC South.  The good news is that Carr can talk to other teams, so if he has not interest in the Jets, we should at least know that now.

For us, I think it comes down to Rodgers or pivot Jimmy G.

Oo 100% I agree. But he is only allowed to talk to teams that have had accepted trade offers. If the Jets haven't made an offer then they can not talk to him.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:32 PM, football guy said:

The big stand off has been the Raiders wanting Carr to issue a list of teams so that they can agree on comp before letting him speak with them. Carr was initially reluctant so at the very least he must’ve relented. 

There are a lot of reasons why Carr would welcome a trade. For one, is it worth it for him to wait and see if the Raiders are bluffing about the deadline? They can always hold him past it and then try to trade him… it’s not like they wouldn’t find another partner, only difference being Carr may have less control where he goes. Also, he wants to keep the terms of his current deal (no trade/franchise) and any team acquiring him is locked in with him for at least 2 years. It’s a happy medium between betting on himself and being able to get another contract in 2-3 years while having a very good and secure contract situation. 

Carr will always have the control where he goes.  The control is whether or not he plays in 2023 or not.  That is the only control the Raiders have.  Carr gets paid in 2023 regardless.

Advantage Carr.

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Carr at $35m/year  and this sh*t OL is a recipe for disaster.   Rather keep MW for less than half, save the picks,  and sink $20m into the OL.  

Carr has played behind horrible offensive lines and put up 4k yards. 

The mike white delusion is still real. Mike White behind a bad offensive line won't last 4 games before he gets killed........ again. 

Whether we have a great or bad offensive line shouldn't impact whether we try to improve our QB. If anything,  a good QB can make a bad o line look serviceable. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Carr at $35m/year  and this sh*t OL is a recipe for disaster.   Rather keep MW for less than half, save the picks,  and sink $20m into the OL.  

the Jets o-line isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. It looked like arse because of Zach Wilson and a million injuries. The MW rib injury was a 6 man pressure where the 6th man was a delayed blitz and MW needed to get rid of the ball quicker - nothing the o-line could have done. When anyone not named ZW was in the o-line performed better.

Derek Carr is really under rated by a lot of people on here.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:36 PM, JETS SB said:

Because he has shown what a winner he is and how great he will be in anything other than an indoor 72 degree environment. Rodgers is the one and only trade we should be trying for. If we want to win, that is. 

Yeah......It will work well sending a ton of draft capital so we can't help Rodgers, and then pay him $40 million a year. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the Jets o-line isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. It looked like arse because of Zach Wilson and a million injuries. The MW rib injury was a 6 man pressure where the 6th man was a delayed blitz and MW needed to get rid of the ball quicker - nothing the o-line could have done. When anyone not named ZW was in the o-line performed better.

Derek Carr is really under rated by a lot of people on here.

You obviously didnt watch the last 3 games of the season.

Week 18 Dolphins - 38 yards rushing - 4 tackles for loss (Flacco QB) 6 points scored

Week 17 Seahawks - 4 Sacks - 6 tackles for loss (White QB)  6 points scored

Week 16 Jaguars - 3 Sacks - 8 tackles for loss (Wilson and Streveler QB)  3 Points scored

As you can see, not exactly defensive juggernauts, and it didnt matter who was QB, the offensive line was terrible, awful, unwatchable. You can blame Zach Wilson for making bad passes and bad decisions. Can't be blamed for bad O-Line play, as much as its easy to blame him for everything.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, Rhg1084 said:

I think they’re operating as if Zach isn’t even a part of the team right now. They gotta do everything they can to just win and not make decisions based around Zach

It's one thing to make decisions to 'just win' or win now, it's another to 'operate as if Zach isn't even part of the team'.

They very much ARE operating as if Zach is part of the team- because, well he is. He is all but guaranteed to be on the roster in 2023. The Jets apparently already came out and said they don't plan to trade him in the offseason- rather continue developing him behind a veteran. 

So while JD will be going after a veteran starter and pushing his chips in for a SB bid in the next couple of years, right now, Zach is still part of his long term thought process. 

12 hours ago, JETS SB said:

You obviously didnt watch the last 3 games of the season.

Week 18 Dolphins - 38 yards rushing - 4 tackles for loss (Flacco QB) 6 points scored

Week 17 Seahawks - 4 Sacks - 6 tackles for loss (White QB)  6 points scored

Week 16 Jaguars - 3 Sacks - 8 tackles for loss (Wilson and Streveler QB)  3 Points scored

As you can see, not exactly defensive juggernauts, and it didnt matter who was QB, the offensive line was terrible, awful, unwatchable. You can blame Zach Wilson for making bad passes and bad decisions. Can't be blamed for bad O-Line play, as much as its easy to blame him for everything.

No argument from me that the o-line struggled as well. But the QBs you listed absolutely sucked in those games as well. So yeah, Flacco was terrible against the Dolphins, White was terrible against the Seahawks with his broken ribs, and the Wilson/Strev combination against the Jags was unwatchable. Their horrendous play did not help the o-line or run game one bit. 

The O-line just needs to stay healthy and gain some chemistry/continuity. What this team really needs is a good QB. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No argument from me that the o-line struggled as well. But the QBs you listed absolutely sucked in those games as well. So yeah, Flacco was terrible against the Dolphins, White was terrible against the Seahawks with his broken ribs, and the Wilson/Strev combination against the Jags was unwatchable. Their horrendous play did not help the o-line or run game one bit. 

The O-line just needs to stay healthy and gain some chemistry/continuity. What this team really needs is a good QB. 

Its NOT a chicken and egg thing .... you NEED a line to allow the QB to play. 

31 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Its NOT a chicken and egg thing .... you NEED a line to allow the QB to play. 

Oh I agree. 

But if we are talking about what the major issue with this offense is. Its the QB. Its Flacco, Streveler, White and Wilson being your starting QBs and playing like crap. Its pretty straightforward. The o-line needs to be improved, we could use some upgrades. They need to stay healthy. But the biggest issue is at the QB position and I think when people point to the o-line struggles to in any way divert from how terrible the QB play was or how truly weak our stable of QBs was they are just skewing the narrative. 

The o-line may have been bad. The QB play was def. worse.  

On 2/3/2023 at 3:08 PM, Integrity28 said:

I kinda want him the most. Long term answer, perfect age window, chip in his shoulder…

He seems like the right guy at this time for a team that doesn't want just a 1-2 year rental (Rodgers).

But if the Jets don't get Carr then I'll argue that Derek would have been the wrong choice anyway and that whatever JD ultimately does is the correct approach.

• Haha 2