GB Compensation for Rodgers. Give it your best guess

32EBoozer

13 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Another good topic @32EBoozer.

Reference points for Rodgers will be last year’s trades for R Wilson and D Watson ADJUSTED downward for age / possibly only a 2 year commitment.  Plus the fact that those trades are not looking good for the buyers.

Then you look at the ballon $60M dead cap hit after his 2 year farewell tour.  When you look at the (lack of) completion for him (numerous reasons), it might be a buyers market.  I’d expect 1 or 2 other teams to sniff around but the Jets to have the strongest interest.

My guess is a first this year and a 3rd next year that could escalate to a 2nd.

I believe Carr will have a bigger market and it will take anywhere from this year’s 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Excellent post. Hopefully the Denver & Cleveland deals, along with the big Dead $ hit in ‘25, scare off other teams. It would greatly benefit us being the only team in on AR.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

My only issue with this is that next year’s #1 SHOULD be in the mid-to-late 20’s if everything goes according to plan. Pick #13 can get us a quality offensive starter to help AR get us into contention. That’s why I escalated compensation into the last year of his deal.

If ever we needed JD to have his absolute best poker game, it’s now! He can cement his legacy as our all-time best GM if he can win this negotiating battle. Anyone can give up too much. A worthwhile GM gets the best of the deal, as long as he’s willing to walk away from the deal.

6 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Disagree with this.  We are picking 13th this year.  If we get Rodgers, that 20241st round pick should be much lower (hopefully in the 20s or even 30s) next year.  Agree we should not trade any 2025 draft capital

I hear ya, but, still, I want a full allotment of picks next year and the year after if we need to be creative.  Even if we are picking in the 20s (or dare I say it the 30s), if we have our picks next year, we can package them to move up in the round, or trade next year's 1 for a future 1 and then 25 is the year to be aggressive.  I would like to maintain that flexibility for the future.

• Upvote 1

2nd + 5th this year

+ 2nd next year if he gets us to playoffs (turns into a 1st if we go to SB)

This is somewhere in the range of what JD would probably be willing to give up. If Woody is desperate for Rodgers, maybe he will push JD to give up more. GB will definitely ask for a 1st rounder and exhaust other options (of which there will be few) to get that first rounder. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Raiders, is likely the biggest threat. Followed by Sam Fran for location . Think Rodgers has said he would like to get beck to West coast. 

Raiders are STACKED with Draft Capital and in good financial shape with Carr leaving.

1. Round 1, pick No. 7
2. Round 2, pick No. 38
3. Round 3, pick No. 70
4. Round 4, pick No. 108
5. Round 5, pick No. 141
6. Round 5, pick No. 144 (via Falcons)
7. Round 5, pick No. 174 (projected compensatory pick)
8. Round 6, pick No. 202 (via Cowboys)
9. Round 6, pick No. 219 (projected compensatory pick)
10. Round 7, pick No. 222 (via Cardinals)
11. Round 7, pick No. 233 (via Patriots)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jimmy G would make sense after AR, but I’d be surprised if JG contract is anything less than 3 years which basically washes out the “ZW redemption project”.

Carr = ZERO Draft compensation however!! That makes moving on to another young QB in the Draft less painful

I’m not sure a Jimmie g signing will wash out the zwilson reclamation project given Jimmie gs inability to play whole seasons.  Zwilson will most likely get in a few games. Of course that would take him to year 5 and his contract would be up but even there if it takes that long then there’s a problem. I’m thinking they’ll know which direction to go with Zach once Hackett studies the offense and the players he has to work with.

• Upvote 1

Swap our 13th overall for their 2nd rounder (or 45th overall). The difference between those selection according to the draft value chart is 700 pts or the 26th overall selection. Therefore the Packers are still getting 1st round value. 

Also add in a 3rd rounder in 2024 draft. Would it be fair to make it a 2nd rounder pending how we do in the playoffs?

2023 Draft

2nd (43)

2nd (45 via Packers)

3rd (74)

4th (112) 

5th (145)

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

New York Jets Draft Picks by Round in 2023

• Round 1, Pick 13 overall
  • Round 2, Pick 43 overall
  • Round 3, Pick 74 overall
  • Round 4, Pick 109 overall
  • Round 5, Pick 140 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 171 overall 

Rodgers Draft Pick Package:

My guess is Pick #74 this year  & next year will be tied to games played & playoffs. If AR starts 80% of games GB gets our 2024 2nd round pick. If he gets us to the playoffs, it’s a 1st. If he gets us a SB it would also package our 2025 1st round pick as well.

Carr Draft Pick Offer:

If JD has set his sights on Carr & is crazy enough to pull off a deal with LV, Carr would cost us pick #74 this year and a #2 in 2024 if he gets us to the playoffs. If no playoffs, we give LV our 3rd round pick. 

My guess is a third this year and next, with performance targets that could move the 2024 pick up.

Personally, I am concerned that they might shoot the wad on a one year of Rodgers and pay for it in dead cap for years.  Remeber the Favre debacle.  Started well then he started throwing games at the end.  How many 40 yard heaves to the deep safety with no Jet within 10 yards?

As far as other alternatives, I don't want Carr at all.  I want a QB who gets his team to the playoff and gives them a chance when they get there.  Carr doesn't.  Ask Raider fans if they will miss him.  I sat with Raider fans.  They hate him.  Beware of $33MM QB's who are benched for non-injury reasons.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I expect 2023 #1 + 2024 #1 + one other pick is what it would take. If they do it, I hope I’m wrong and it’s much cheaper.

If the Jets agreed to that, it would guarantee we re-enter the dregs of the league in 2 years.  Tons of dead cap and 2 consecutive years of not adding elite talent in the draft?  Give me Garapollo on a 3 year deal.  If Zach or someone else develops, you can always trade a QB for a 3rd round pick who can get you to the playoffs.

In the interim, Garapollo gets us to the playoffs and has had success there.  Garrett Wilson will be elite and Elijah Moore a Quality second option with someone who delivers the ball on time and on target 65%+ of the time.  Breece Hall will be unstoppable in a balanced offense, when the defense cannot stack the line.  The defense will be even better with fewer 3 and outs and more points to work with.

We have the BEST corners in the league.  In 7 games against Diggs, Waddle Hill and Jefferson, they allowed 312 yards and 1 touchdown in total.  When you can completely shutdown the best of the best, you can beat anybody.  A solid QB, behind a decent line could easily get us there.  Then continue to draft top talent and you win next year and the year after and...........................

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

And then the financial aspect of it when he is not on the team.  As an article mentioned, that dead cap space on Rodgers when he is not on the team of 60 million comes around the time the Jets would plan on re signing Sauce, G. Wilson, and Breece Hall.  

Can Thisbe reworked?

3 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

If the Jets agreed to that, it would guarantee we re-enter the dregs of the league in 2 years.  Tons of dead cap and 2 consecutive years of not adding elite talent in the draft?  Give me Garapollo on a 3 year deal.  If Zach or someone else develops, you can always trade a QB for a 3rd round pick who can get you to the playoffs.

In the interim, Garapollo gets us to the playoffs and has had success there.  Garrett Wilson will be elite and Elijah Moore a Quality second option with someone who delivers the ball on time and on target 65%+ of the time.  Breece Hall will be unstoppable in a balanced offense, when the defense cannot stack the line.  The defense will be even better with fewer 3 and outs and more points to work with.

We have the BEST corners in the league.  In 7 games against Diggs, Waddle Hill and Jefferson, they allowed 312 yards and 1 touchdown in total.  When you can completely shutdown the best of the best, you can beat anybody.  A solid QB, behind a decent line could easily get us there.  Then continue to draft top talent and you win next year and the year after and...........................

Sounds great, till Jimmy G. is hurt, again, in week 2, and we end up starting Zach Wilson all year, again.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Swap our 13th overall for their 2nd rounder (or 45th overall). The difference between those selection according to the draft value chart is 700 pts or the 26th overall selection. Therefore the Packers are still getting 1st round value. 

Also add in a 3rd rounder in 2024 draft. Would it be fair to make it a 2nd rounder pending how we do in the playoffs?

2023 Draft

2nd (43)

2nd (45 via Packers)

3rd (74)

4th (112) 

5th (145)

I agree with this approach, not necessarily the compensation.

But yes, I think #13 is gone and the Jets get back a day 2 pick this year or next.

• Upvote 1

I think the market for Rodgers is very very small, the jets and the packers.  I'd be surprised if the Raiders are going to be in on it.

Thus if Douglas is not careful he will be bidding against himself.

If the packers and or rodgers hum and hah until both Carr and Garappolo are gone the jets are hooped and will get fleeced.

I also am buying into this rumor that the deal is going to be bigger and include Bakhtiari.

I see the deal as something like our 1st this year pus Elijah Moore and a conditional pick in 2024 1st or 2nd.

The comp listed for a Carr trade is way off, it will be like a 3rd or 4ht round pick this year at most.

My preference is get Carr very soon and have the QB position ready to go as soon as possible.

My guess is:

Jets trade to GB:

1st (#13) this year.

Conditional pick next year that CAN become a first based on certain factors (MVP/Super Bowl/etc.)

a player we would need to get rid of to shed some salary, (i.e. Corey Davis).

Green Bay Packers trade to NYJ:

Aaron Rodgers.

If another player like David Bakhtiari is included with Rodgers, a mid to low round pick might need to be thrown in as well.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

My guess is:

Jets trade to GB:

1st (#13) this year.

Conditional pick next year that CAN become a first based on certain factors (MVP/Super Bowl/etc.)

Aaron Rodgers.

If another player like David Bakhtiari or Cobb is included with Rodgers, a mid to low round pick might need to be thrown in as well.

image.gif.f15c454f7d17a7f6093dab7fcdafb98d.gif

44 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

My guess is:

Jets trade to GB:

1st (#13) this year.

Aaron Rodgers.

If another player like David Bakhtiari or Cobb is included with Rodgers, a mid to low round pick might need to be thrown in as well.

I don’t want Cobb & I believe he’s a FA

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

My guess is:

Jets trade to GB:

1st (#13) this year.

Aaron Rodgers.

If we actually trade for cobb then Dogulas may as well be fired and we can make Rodgers the GM.

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Give up the #13 pick before Rodgers even gets us to the playoffs? I don't like it. Let the Packers hold onto Rodgers.

That’s the price of expectations. Hopefully JD can offer a master class in negotiation and he ties results to compensation. Give GB a morsel with a 3 rd this year and then base future compensation on how well 2023 goes.

The only issue is that GB might fear Jets hold AR back if season goes to pot giving GB lower compensation