Daniel Jones

tiki and tierney just talking about how many teams need a QB.  being the jets, i'm sure they'll miss out on rodgers and carr.  next best, maybe even 2nd best option, is Daniel Jones.  any chance they steal him from the Giants?  if i were the NYG, i'd probably franchise him and take my chances on resigning Barkely.  as of now, Jones hasn't been franchised, so he's an option til he isn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 3
  • More Ugh 3

8 minutes ago, heymangold said:

any chance they steal him from the Giants? 

No.

Danny Dimes will get a lucrative contract from the Giants. He should really not be part of the conversation as an option for the Jets, IMO.

The Giants will then tag Barkley (or tag and trade him, or maybe even let him hit FA).  

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, heymangold said:

tiki and tierney just talking about how many teams need a QB.  being the jets, i'm sure they'll miss out on rodgers and carr.  next best, maybe even 2nd best option, is Daniel Jones.  any chance they steal him from the Giants?  if i were the NYG, i'd probably franchise him and take my chances on resigning Barkely.  as of now, Jones hasn't been franchised, so he's an option til he isn't.

No

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, heymangold said:

No.  I don't think there is any chance of this.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

My wishlist. Fwiw, Carr 1 and Jones 2.

If I'm Jones, I have a chip on my shoulder with the Giants, and My first choice is in the same building with a different organization.  He doesn't have to uproot his life, and he gives the Giants a big thanks foe not picking up my option when I had nothing to work with.

• Upvote 1

A couple of things might make Jones attractive.  Firstly the Giants may expect some kind of hometown discount and so he might become available at a reasonable price compared to some of the other options out there.  Secondly he is still young and as of now still improving so maybe there is upside that is not present with some of the other options.

His personality seems to fit fine in NY which may be a concern with some others and he really has been asked to work with s collection of scrub receivers with the Giants.  I am curious how much throwing to Garrett Wilson and Co. will add to his game.

I think the Giants will eventually match any offers otherwise they are back to square one at QB which we all know is a terrible place to be but Jones to the Jets?  Not the worst idea I have heard on the QB topic.

Why would a young, up coming QB want to leave a team that has supported him to go to another team which has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it does not know how to develop a young QB?

Carr or Rodgers, sure.   They know how to play the position.   A young, still learning QB?  No way.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I was shocked at Danny's improvement last year.  

Maybe there is hope that Zippy, in another few years, can become a decent backup.

Its not that shocking, he had bad coaching, then he got good coaching, we went from bad to good, thats what bad coaching to good coaching does.

There is a reason we have had sh*t QB play forever, we have had sh*t coaching

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

18 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its not that shocking, he had bad coaching, then he got good coaching, we went from bad to good, thats what bad coaching to good coaching does.

Yep, and sometimes we had no coaching at all.  MLF was too uncomfortable to talk to the scary players and Miles had a tee time to catch and Saleh needed to practice his splits and pom poms.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

A NFL first round contract is designed to control that player for at least SIX years.  Jones only played 4 for the Giants.  

The Giants can franchise Jones 2x.  If I am the Giants, I offer him three years guaranteed money in the low $30mms with a promise not to franchise him later, or basically franchise him for 1-2 years.  

Jones should take that deal.  

The Jets should offer him 3x35.  

The Jets biggest problem is their Zach Wilson sunk cost fallacy.

As long as they actually believe they can recoup some of the BYU investment, they are never going to move on to anything more than a rental (e.g. Rodgers, Carr).

Danny Dimes would require quitting Zach for good. They won't do that for a slightly above average QB

On 2/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, heymangold said:

Daniel Jones is bad.  In his breakout year,  he finished just ahead of guys like Davis mills, Mac jones and Matt Ryan for passing yards. Guys who missed multiple games.... and suck.

If he's really that good why would the giants let him go??

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Daniel Jones is bad.  In his breakout year,  he finished just ahead of guys like Davis mills, Mac jones and Matt Ryan for passing yards. Guys who missed multiple games.... and suck.

He'd be serviceable until they found something better. Not worth giving a huge contract to but worth something to hold the fort down. But Giants aren't going to let him go. 

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Daniel Jones is a tweener QB.  Good enough to win some games, make the playoffs, etc., but not good enough to carry a team into the playoffs if that team is paying him $40mm/year.

Like Cousins, Prescott, Carr. 

I think when you have a QB like that you sign him to keep the fans happy with competitive games but try to find a cheaper or better replacement before his contract expires. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The problem with jones on the jets is that he’s too much a product of coaching.  So if the jets coaches suck again they would have paid a ton of money for a guy who needs the right coaching to be effective.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with jones on the jets is that he’s too much a product of coaching.  So if the jets coaches suck again they would have paid a ton of money for a guy who needs the right coaching to be effective.  

Exactly, this is exactly what I was saying.

There is nothing special about Jones, he was pretty putrid the past few years until very good coaches got a hold of him.

If anyone thinks Jones did what he did with the Giants, with this Jets team this past year they are fooling themsleves.

I don't see much of a difference between white and Jones at all

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Exactly, this is exactly what I was saying.

There is nothing special about Jones, he was pretty putrid the past few years until very good coaches got a hold of him.

If anyone thinks Jones did what he did with the Giants, with this Jets team this past year they are fooling themsleves.

I don't see much of a difference between white and Jones at all

I put someone like ZW in the same category, if you put him on SF he’d look decent.  

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He'd be serviceable until they found something better. Not worth giving a huge contract to but worth something to hold the fort down. But Giants aren't going to let him go. 

...... because currently they have no other choice. If they actually liked him they would lock him up to a long term deal.... but Daboll knows better. 

On 2/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, heymangold said:

They are trying to sign Barkley so they can franchise Jones. That gives them one more test run with Jones before a long term extension.

If they let Jones get to free agency, they are losing him for sure.