Should the Jets re-sign Quinnen Williams for 20-25 million a year?

Barton

Should the Jets re-sign Quinnen Williams for 20 million a year?   

144 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Jets re-sign Quinnen Williams for 20 million a year? Jonathan Allen currently makes 18 mill per year. Q will likely ask for more.

• Yes - sign him for 20 million per year for the next 5 years
    • No

Dear Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh and Robert Wood Johnson IV,

Don't be stupid when it comes to Williams.  Out of the many 1st round DLs drafted by this team (feels like thousands of them), we finally get a winner.  Letting him be a stud for another team would be so Jetsy.  Please pay the man.  

Sincerely,
STH since 1984.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fortunately, the league’s rules make it expensive to sit out mandatory camp. It will be interesting to see if Q camp & JD can find middle ground.

I would love to get him signed, but I am wary of 1 year of high level production. No harm in that. With JD getting on year 4 of a 6 year deal he might just want “Nothing but Positive Vibes” as he sells AR on the Jets

i have no issue with 1 year of production because again i saw what i saw. Wilkerson was very good in that 1 year he had 12 sacks but he wasn't this good in both pass and run game. He also played DE on a line with some big boys.

7 hours ago, Barton said:

Is anyone else not noticing the major red flags on Quinnen?

Before 2022, he average abouted 5-6 sacks a year and was a solid player but a dissapointment based on where he was drafted. 

His contract year in 2023, he doubles his production and IMMEDIATELY calls to get paid as soon as the season ends and also says he wont show up to voluntary camps etc.

This tells me he was focusing on getting paid the entire year (playing for the future contract)

I would not pay this guy 20-25 million a year. 

Use the resources to bolster the offense which currently has an average Oline and only 1 stand out receiver at WR/TE, IMO. Rodgers/Carr/other Veteran will need to get paid, too.

Well that's how you be a bad gm 101. Way to go mac !

34 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Jets fans - Q is a one year wonder, you can't pay him big money because of that

Also Jets fans - we should sign Danny Dimes, he had a monster year!

emoji849.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It is so crazy. I swear so many people resist good things for the team while at th same time advocating for the very things that make us bad. 

I wonder if every team has these people 

• Upvote 2

People who don't want QW to be paid are used to the past 12 years. This team finally has some semblance of being a playoff contender, and the last thing they should do is let their star players go. 

The great teams in the league pay their star players. That's just a fact. If the Jets want to be there, they have to stop ditching their best players because they want their 4th string WR to be able to stay on the team or something. Pay Q and move on from players like JFM or Lawson. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

People who don't want QW to be paid are used to the past 12 years. This team finally has some semblance of being a playoff contender, and the last thing they should do is let their star players go. 

The great teams in the league pay their star players. That's just a fact. If the Jets want to be there, they have to stop ditching their best players because they want their 4th string WR to be able to stay on the team or something. Pay Q and move on from players like JFM or Lawson. 

I agree with you except the part of moving on from JFM or Lawson. The depth of this dline is the strength of this team and I’d like to see everyone back for one more season.

• Upvote 1

4 years $88m

The Jets own his rights for:

2023: $9.5m

2024: 1st Tag ~$19m

2025: 2nd Tag ~$23m

For an average of $17m per year. The Jets should do right by Quinnen and make him the 2nd highest paid. Quinnen should do right by the Jets to realize they don't HAVE to give him more than $17m per year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

So you wouldn’t re sign Bosa either?

I don’t see them taking Bosa out like they do Q. Do you? He seems to always be on the field and has been a great player since day 1. 

Also just remember that our vaunted defense struggled mightily against weaker offensive opponents down the stretch so who knows if that rotation system even worked. Maybe the 49ers have a better training staff? Probably 

46 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I wonder if there were Eagles fans and Chiefs fans making posts about getting rid of Fletcher Cox and Chris Jones when it was time for those guys to get paid 

It’s the way he went about it. Not that he wants a new contract. Doing it publicly like jamal Adams and tyreek hill? 

Pay the man. The defense looked anemic and putrid when he missed time late in the year. His impact was extremely evident then, if it wasn’t beforehand. I was not a fan of the Quinnen pick at the time, but I want him as a Jet long-term. He’s a stud. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, BP said:

It’s the way he went about it. Not that he wants a new contract. Doing it publicly like jamal Adams and tyreek hill? 

Lol yes the media specifically asked him a question about his contract and he gave an honest answer. Let’s get rid of him because of that!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I agree with you except the part of moving on from JFM or Lawson. The depth of this dline is the strength of this team and I’d like to see everyone back for one more season.

That's a good point. I just feel like there the Jets can get better guys for a similar cost. Maybe not though.

21 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lol yes the media specifically asked him a question about his contract and he gave an honest answer. Let’s get rid of him because of that!

I didn’t say get rid of him. We all know by now that the Jets don’t like that sh*t. It might have been honest but it was dumb to give that answer publicly after he was here for the Adams drama. He’s not the first and certainly won’t be the last jets player asking for more money. And that’s how the Jets are looking at it now after he opened his big mouth.

9 hours ago, Barton said:

Before 2022, he average abouted 5-6 sacks a year and was a solid player but a dissapointment based on where he was drafted. 

His contract year in 2023, he doubles his production and IMMEDIATELY calls to get paid as soon as the season ends and also says he wont show up to voluntary camps etc.

This tells me he was focusing on getting paid the entire year (playing for the future contract)

Use the resources to bolster the offense which currently has an average Oline and only 1 stand out receiver at WR/TE, IMO. Rodgers/Carr/other Veteran will need to get paid, too.

The Jets also switched from a 3/4 to 4/3 and he switched from a 1T/5T to a 3T which seems like his natural position.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BP said:

I didn’t say get rid of him. We all know by now that the Jets don’t like that sh*t. It might have been honest but it was dumb to give that answer publicly after he was here for the Adams drama. He’s not the first and certainly won’t be the last jets player asking for more money. And that’s how the Jets are looking at it now after he opened his big mouth.

Also he gave an ultimatum about the off season and that was dumb too. There’s a smart way and a dumb way to go about negotiations, and guess which way ultimatums are taken?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Barton said:

Second coming of Mo Wilkerson?  I'd sign him to an incentive based contract for 3 years @ 17M with potential to go up to 22M - MVP, Pro Bowl playoffs blah blah etc etc. 

Thing about QW is that our defense looked horrible when he was injured in the game he missed. He is a force where stats dont scream out at you. Still thats a lot of change to be throwing at one guy when we have numerous up and coming players that are going to demand a ton as well.  Tread softly JD. 

11 hours ago, BP said:

If they played him every down I’d say yes. But with this SF rotation BS we don’t play our best lineman half the time, so I’d say no.

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So you wouldn’t re sign Bosa either?

3 hours ago, BP said:

I don’t see them taking Bosa out like they do Q. Do you? He seems to always be on the field and has been a great player since day 1. 

The numbers back up what BP is saying here.  

Bosa’s snap counts in his 3 healthy seasons (he only played in 2 games in 2020):

* 2019:  76 %
* 2021:  78 %
* 2022:  74 %

Quinnen’s for his career:

* 2019:  57 %
* 2020:  64 %
* 2021:  59 %
* 2022:  65 %

It’s a legitimate concern.  Handing a guy like Q who barely plays over 60 % of the snaps for his career $22M per over 4-5 years without a thought is hard to get behind.  

Just because the Jets haven’t had anyone worth paying for a long time doesn’t mean you shell out to the 1st guy who proves worthy without at least thinking on it long and hard (giggity).

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Second coming of Mo Wilkerson?  I'd sign him to an incentive based contract for 3 years @ 17M with potential to go up to 22M - MVP, Pro Bowl playoffs blah blah etc etc. 

Yeah, no.  A # 3-overall pick coming off a career year isn’t signing an incentive-laden deal.  He’s going to want to be locked in to # 2 DT money for sure.  

Bit of a dilemma at the very least.  Losing him seems like just as bad of an idea as paying him that kind of coin over 5 years.

• Upvote 2