Should the Jets re-sign Quinnen Williams for 20-25 million a year?

Barton

Should the Jets re-sign Quinnen Williams for 20 million a year?   

144 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Jets re-sign Quinnen Williams for 20 million a year? Jonathan Allen currently makes 18 mill per year. Q will likely ask for more.

• Yes - sign him for 20 million per year for the next 5 years
    • No

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, no.  A # 3-overall pick coming off a career year isn’t signing an incentive-laden deal.  He’s going to want to be locked in to # 2 DT money for sure.  

Bit of a dilemma at the very least.  Losing him seems like just as bad of an idea as paying him that kind of coin over 5 years.

I was trying to get a deal but now you've spoiled it 

girl-rage.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BP said:

I don’t see them taking Bosa out like they do Q. Do you? He seems to always be on the field and has been a great player since day 1. 

Also just remember that our vaunted defense struggled mightily against weaker offensive opponents down the stretch so who knows if that rotation system even worked. Maybe the 49ers have a better training staff? Probably 

Bosa played 69 percent of snaps.  Williams played 60 percent.   No that disparate in my eyes.

BDB7DC31-C6EC-44D2-A846-EE097CBA1569.jpeg

E98D9AE3-32CE-4C0F-A37F-1AC4F999FD8E.jpeg

The Jets can “make” Quinnen play the next two seasons for significantly less than this too MB MV that everyone thinks he needs.   

and yes, Mo Will was a very similar player before he got paid and stop playing.  

If the Jets sign an expensive QB like Rodgers, how don’t know how is left for Quinnen 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the Jets sign an expensive QB like Rodgers, how don’t know how is left for Quinnen 

Q has been quite vocal about the lack of offense on this team. Reckon he might be willing to work on contract structure to help them fit both him and Rodgers under the cap? ;-) 

6 hours ago, varjet said:

and yes, Mo Will was a very similar player before he got paid and stop playing.   

since we're going down memory lane Mo Wilkerson had a major injury Week 17 in the last year of his rookie contract

it was a broken leg (fibula) and a major injury for a 300+ pound man - not everyone comes back from these catastrophic injuries the same 

JMO he never really came back from that - the "losing a step" being late to meetings, "not trying hard" etc that usually comes from painkiller abuse related to the rehab

also recall the Jets doctor staff of that era were James Woods style butchers 

the mistake was giving Wilkerson the fat contract even though he had a lengthy rehab to face. If Wilkerson doesn't break his leg he probably has a decent second contract  

Quinnen could break his leg the end of his 5th year and the Jets would be faced with a similar quandary 

of course these days they have stem cell and other miraculous options 

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

since we're going down memory lane Mo Wilkerson had a major injury Week 17 in the last year of his rookie contract

it was a broken leg (fibula) and a major injury for a 300+ pound man - not everyone comes back from these catastrophic injuries the same 

JMO he never really came back from that - the "losing a step" being late to meetings, "not trying hard" etc that usually comes from painkiller abuse related to the rehab

also recall the Jets doctor staff of that era were James Woods style butchers 

the mistake was giving Wilkerson the fat contract even though he had a lengthy rehab to face. If Wilkerson doesn't break his leg he probably has a decent second contract  

Quinnen could break his leg the end of his 5th year and the Jets would be faced with a similar quandary 

of course these days they have stem cell and other miraculous options 

Here is the other thing for sports fans to consider:  Put yourself in Mo's shoes.  He works his ass off, plays well in a VERY violent sport.  He suffers a major injury.  THEN...someone gives you a LOT of money.  Like, life-changing money.  And you can keep having life-changing money.  MAYBE you just don't play with as much fire because, well.....its kinda nice (and comfortable) getting those checks and not getting hurt as much.  

As a Jet fan, Mo Wilkerson pisses me off.  BUT......the reality is, from a human perspective, I can see what happened, and not sure I would have been any different. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Hex said:

People who don't want QW to be paid are used to the past 12 years. This team finally has some semblance of being a playoff contender, and the last thing they should do is let their star players go. 

The great teams in the league pay their star players. That's just a fact. If the Jets want to be there, they have to stop ditching their best players because they want their 4th string WR to be able to stay on the team or something. Pay Q and move on from players likeBERRIOS

*fixd it for you. Lawson and JFM noth are good contributors to the team. shoudl be kept in my humble opinion, its the trash guys you guys. Like ou said the WR4 or WR5 guys...dont need to pay them, just exchange for someone else...

23 hours ago, Hex said:

People who don't want QW to be paid are used to the past 12 years. This team finally has some semblance of being a playoff contender, and the last thing they should do is let their star players go. 

The great teams in the league pay their star players. That's just a fact. If the Jets want to be there, they have to stop ditching their best players because they want their 4th string WR to be able to stay on the team or something. Pay Q and move on from players like JFM or Lawson. 

Fantastic post.  

If you dont want to pay QW ask yourself who was the last star player on this team?  When was the last time we even CONSIDERED needing to pay a top 5 salary to someone, let alone someone who was drafted by the Jets.  Good teams are happy to have stars and pay them accordingly.  

I get that Mo Wilkerson was a mistake, but we have to hope that QW has more drive then Mo did.  And one thing to look at with JD's contracts in FA, he has targeted  younger players who are not signing their "last contract here".  This sport is too violent and requires too much effort to give out a contract like Mac did to Trumaine Johnson.  The second the team wasnt winning, Johnson was DONE because he knew he was never playing in the league again, nor did he need to with the amount he was paid.

4 years and $100 million for QW gives him another shot at free agency at 29 years old. That is when you consider moving on from him, not today.

On 2/6/2023 at 1:08 AM, Beerfish said:

Quinnen: sacks 12, forced fumbles 2, combined tackles 55, solo tackles 35, tackles for loss 12, QB hits 28

Mo Wilk: sacks 12, forced fumbles 3, combined tackles 64, solo tackles 39, tackles for loss 11, QB hits 28

Just pay the man what could go wrong!  He's our dominant DT, what could go wrong!  No brainer, what could go wrong! ?

Did Quinnen break his leg the last week of the season?  I missed it.

Quinnen: sacks 12, forced fumbles 2, combined tackles 55, solo tackles 35, tackles for loss 12, QB hits 28

Mo Wilk: sacks 12, forced fumbles 3, combined tackles 64, solo tackles 39, tackles for loss 11, QB hits 28

Just pay the man what could go wrong!  He's our dominant DT, what could go wrong!  No brainer, what could go wrong! ?

Is there any reason to believe Quinnen = Wilk?

Fair comparison except they play different position. Mo did it from the outside, Q did it from the belly of the D. QB's hate, hate , hate a collapsing pocket.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I was under the impression he was asked by a reporter during a presse3r. Just answered the questions. Not sure he pushed it like Jamal.

He gave an ultimatum. “I’m not showing up this off season until I get paid”

How do you think negotiations went after that statement?

2 minutes ago, BP said:

That's not how it went.

The reporter directly asked if he'd hold out of OTA's ( or some offseason thing ) if he didn't have a new contract and he answered yes, I won't show up unless I have a new contract.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BP said:

An immature comment by an immature kid during a flash moment should have nothing to do with it. First time kids done anything like this, just wants the money he earned. I would hope the person negotiating for the Jets is more concerned about the player than the mouth. If he starts trying to actively shoot himself out of town like Adams and Tyreek? I would change my view, I simply don't see this as that. 

8 minutes ago, BP said:

I think he’s also telling the Jets it’s a packaged deal with him and his brother like we’re dividing up teams at recess. 

that being said he’s a really good player and hopefully the jets can figure out if he’s a sell high candidate or not.

• More Ugh 1

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That's not how it went.

The reporter directly asked if he'd hold out of OTA's ( or some offseason thing ) if he didn't have a new contract and he answered yes, I won't show up unless I have a new contract.

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

An immature comment by an immature kid during a flash moment should have nothing to do with it. First time kids done anything like this, just wants the money he earned. I would hope the person negotiating for the Jets is more concerned about the player than the mouth. If he starts trying to actively shoot himself out of town like Adams and Tyreek? I would change my view, I simply don't see this as that. 

Ok, then I’m mistaken. I thought that’s how he said it.

44 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Is there any reason to believe Quinnen = Wilk?

Is there any reason to think he isn't?

His career path is a lot like Mo wilks, flashes of really good play hist first few years but very inconsistent.  Then that one huge year just before time to think of a new contract.

I like Quinnen he was great last year and the jets should and will pay him but it is not a no brainer that he is going to be the guy he was last year from here on out.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Is there any reason to think he isn't?

His career path is a lot like Mo wilks, flashes of really good play hist first few years but very inconsistent.  Then that one huge year just before time to think of a new contract.

I like Quinnen he was great last year and the jets should and will pay him but it is not a no brainer that he is going to be the guy he was last year from here on out.

His leg ain't broke?

• Upvote 1

It’s not just the money. If he walks that’s also a first round pick the jets will likely use to try to replace him that is badly needed elsewhere (ahem OL). Yeah I get we are once bitten twice shy from Mo but at some point you have to pay your guys. That said an extension now should benefit both sides. He gets guaranteed money on the table and the jets get some of the benefit for “drafting well” and get him at below market for next 1-2 years. Push as much as the cap hit as you can down the road when it’s a lower % of the cap.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

Is Quinnen a great run stuffer?  Looked like Jets had trouble stopping the run against big backs that pound the middle.

Actually, yes.  
You want to sound clueless, keep trying to make the case that he’s not good.  Not a top lineman