Woody’s desperation…..

SoJetsy

Now that he’s back I believe he hijacked the whole plan of Saleh and Douglas to build and develop. Instead of just admitting Zach was a bust or wrong fit in NY now they make a desperate move to put butts in seats, typical Woody. Why not just let Mike Lafluer grow as a play caller and play Mike White or Jimmy G until they can find the guy. I smell Favre all over, then 10 years of obscurity again!

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 14
  • WTF? 6
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 3

At this point it appears evident that Woody is in meetings expressing his opinions about football which he is not qualified.  But I don’t think he has caused any trouble yet.  

Letting MLF go was the right move.  He was not up for this job. 

it does not make sense to move on from Wilson unless someone trades for him. 

We are watching and waiting on the QB.  If we overpay for Rodgers Woody was behind that. 

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

20 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

Instead of just admitting Zach was a bust or wrong fit in NY now they make a desperate move to put butts in seats, typical Woody

OR...

Instead of just admitting Zach was a bust or wrong fit in NY, JD (20-46 record) and Saleh (11-23 record) make a move to save their jobs of which they are woefully inept at. 

This is MUCH more likely. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

At this point it appears evident that Woody is in meetings expressing his opinions about football which he is not qualified.  But I don’t think he has caused any trouble yet.  

Letting MLF go was the right move.  He was not up for this job. 

it does not make sense to move on from Wilson unless someone trades for him. 

We are watching and waiting on the QB.  If we overpay for Rodgers Woody was behind that. 

Then again, it is his money. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

Now that he’s back I believe he hijacked the whole plan of Saleh and Douglas to build and develop. Instead of just admitting Zach was a bust or wrong fit in NY now they make a desperate move to put butts in seats, typical Woody. Why not just let Mike Lafluer grow as a play caller and play Mike White or Jimmy G until they can find the guy. I smell Favre all over, then 10 years of obscurity again!

You may be right but being 7-4 and losing 6 straight to end the season can cause any owner to do that. Maybe if Jets made the playoffs as they should have he would have stayed out of it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

It’s probably hard when he sees other teams routinely jump from 4/5 wins to the playoffs

It takes a special level of ineptitude not to make the playoffs for this long in a league driven by parity (at least where simply making the playoffs is concerned - title contention is another story).  And that’s especially true now that there are 3 Wild Card spots versus 2.  

Granted, we got a little unlucky in 2015:  About 80 % of the time a 10-6 team made the postseason under the old format.  But that was still the only playoff-caliber year out of the last 12, and even if we made it that year, I believe we’d still be tied with Denver for the longest drought (and they won the SB that year so even it’s not exactly comparable droughts).  Pathetic.  

Woody blows.  

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

I don't think its all that bad. Woody is a fine owner ... All owners sometimes stick their nose in when they shouldn't ... especially on things like 1st picks and QBs ... that is about it.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

55 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

I have just the opposite reaction. If Woody truly "hijacked" the plan, he would have cleaned house last month or at the very least, canned Saleh for allowing the toxic environment that MLF created in the locker room to continue. Woody knows that arguably the two best run organizations in the NFL tried mightily to trade up to draft Zach and as such believes that he has the ability to be a good QB in this league, and that for two years the Jets have done everything in their power to ruin him. Therefore, he exercised his power as owner and told them to "fix" the problem. I'd call it Woody giving JD and Saleh a "mulligan." He believes in their plan, believes in them, but is letting them know that his tolerance for any more of this nonsense is gone. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet you still call Woody a “fine” owner?  That’s like, the whole deal of being a good owner:  Hiring some good football people to run the show.  And he sucks horribly at it.  

He is not afraid to spend ... and that is the number one thing that i judge from ownership ..ala Dolan.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He is not afraid to spend ... and that is the number one thing that i judge from ownership ..ala Dolan.

I mean, who cares in the NFL?  This is a salary cap league with revenue sharing.  There’s no excuse not to spend to the cap or close to it.  

And we have yet to make a big splash expensive coaching hire so there’s no real evidence of his “willingness” to spend there aside from having to pay 2 coaches (Mangini/Rex; Gase/Saleh) at once.  

I’m not calling him cheap here I’m just suggesting it doesn’t matter that he’s willing to spend if positive results don’t follow.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, who cares in the NFL?  This is a salary cap league with revenue sharing.  There’s no excuse not to spend to the cap or close to it.  

And we have yet to make a big splash expensive coaching hire so there’s no real evidence of his “willingness” to spend there aside from having to pay 2 coaches (Mangini/Rex; Gase/Saleh) at once.  

I’m not calling him cheap here I’m just suggesting it doesn’t matter that he’s willing to spend if positive results don’t follow.  

I don't disagree with that.... at the end of the day ... being an owner is not a job ... the guy OWNS the team. He cannot be fired .. so. ... there are worse owners is all ... I hope he does better.

Edited by Dunnie

1 hour ago, SoJetsy said:

This is 100% correct outside of the Lafluer stuff.  He was an issue w/ his personality and needed to go.

Rodgers or carr and this will epically fail and get everyone fired.

Stay the course with the following:

QB 1- Tannehill/Garopollo

QB 2- Minshew

QB 3- Zach Wilson

I am still not convinced the Jets r in on Rodgers/Carr.  Not going to crush Woody until I see what happens.

Stay the course, Joe!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is 100% correct outside of the Lafluer stuff.  He was an issue w/ his personality and needed to go.

Rodgers or carr and this will epically fail and get everyone fired.

Stay the course with the following:

QB 1- Tannehill/Garopollo

QB 2- Minshew

QB 3- Zach Wilson

I am still not convinced the Jets r in on Rodgers/Carr.  Not going to crush Woody until I see what happens.

Stay the course, Joe!!!!!!!!!

You want Tannehill as our QB next season? Lol

Nobody wants to hear it because this is the most self-deluded fanbase in sports, but the OP is right. The Jets are making no secret of the fact that their Plan A this offseason is to trade a first round pick (at least) for a mercurial 39-year-old quarterback who was 16th in DYAR and 21st in DVOA last year. If that’s not desperate, I don’t know what is.

• Upvote 4