Lamar trade talks back on the table?

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

I guess Zach is paralleling Steve Young  then ? ..... I know of no human alive that remembers Steve Young as Buc.

BUT ... I will apologize for that if it makes you feel better.

You omitted 7 years of his career.  lol

51 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

You omitted 7 years of his career.  lol

So the BYU QB, sucked early in his career - while playing, at that point, one of the worst organizations in NFL - then sat behind a hall of fame QB for a couple of years and turned it around to become one himself?  

Tough road but good for him!

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So the BYU QB, sucked early in his career - while playing, at that point, one of the worst organizations in NFL - then sat behind a hall of fame QB for a couple of years and turned it around to become one himself?  

I think you think this is a zinger but you failed and clearly don’t understand the side I’m arguing. 

So, in the event the non-exclusive tag is placed on Lamar Jackson, he would get to negotiate with the rest of the NFL, with some dumb team giving him 50 mil per season, fully guaranteed for 8 years or something like that. PLUS the team would have to give up 2 first round picks. I think the Ravens, at that point, take the 2 first round picks and run. I like Lamar a lot for the Jets, but isnt that a bit crazy?

9 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

So, in the event the non-exclusive tag is placed on Lamar Jackson, he would get to negotiate with the rest of the NFL, with some dumb team giving him 50 mil per season, fully guaranteed for 8 years or something like that. PLUS the team would have to give up 2 first round picks. I think the Ravens, at that point, take the 2 first round picks and run. I like Lamar a lot for the Jets, but isnt that a bit crazy?

A bit crazy. A team like Miami would not be eligible. A team would need to have a 1 this year and next according to Mike Tannebaum.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:
Seems like we’re heading toward the tag. Can’t see the Ravens giving up the rights to Lamar with the non-exclusive tag, but look out if they do

But they wouldn't lose the rights to him at least not without getting something out of it. 

Letting the market decide Jackson's worth and at worst getting a pair of 1sts out of the deal doesn't seem like a terrible idea on Baltimore's end.  Especially since I don't expect Jackson to play on the franchise tag.

Sort of a win-win approach for both sides.  Lamar is confident he can get the fully guaranteed deal he's seeking.  Well, here's an opportunity for him to seek it out from any of the 31 teams, right away.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But they wouldn't lose the rights to him at least not without getting something out of it. 

Letting the market decide Jackson's worth and at worst getting a pair of 1sts out of the deal doesn't seem like a terrible idea on Baltimore's end.  Especially since I don't expect Jackson to play on the franchise tag.

How would a collusion case play out w/ a current player?  As much as I want Jackson, watching that drama unfold would be grade A entertainment. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He also went to the USFL to play for a bit as well.

We need to send Zach to a semi competitive alternate league to hone his craft.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF4Lamar said:

How would a collusion case play out w/ a current player?  As much as I want Jackson, watching that drama unfold would be grade A entertainment. 

I could absolutely see Lamar getting played in this scenario.  He currently doesn't even have an agent.  

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I could absolutely see Lamar getting played in this scenario.  He currently doesn't even have an agent.  

In the end, one of the owners is like sure, head nod wink wink to his peers but if the exclusive tag is slapped on him, there is an owner who will go get Lamar.  100%.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How does that happen? Why doesn’t he have an agent? For a guy who’s pretty sensitive on social media negotiating for himself can’t help matters. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How does that happen? Why doesn’t he have an agent? For a guy who’s pretty sensitive on social media negotiating for himself can’t help matters. 

Because the values of NFL rookie contracts are mostly fixed, so Jackson figured he could get that taken care of himself. "I know coming in as a rookie, an agent doesn't really negotiate anything," Jackson explained to USA Today. "You're going to get the salary you're going to get. I decided I don't need him.Jul 29, 2022

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He's never had one.  His mother is his manager but he didn't want to pay an agent to 'negotiate' his rookie deal, which I can't even honestly fault since it's pretty much non-negotiable anyway.  This time around?  He's going to get a monster deal but he's determined to get Deshaun's guaranteed money, which the Ravens will never pay.  An agent might be able to get both sides closer to the middle, but he still seems locked in on not paying the 1.5-3% fee agents get.  Time will tell...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because the values of NFL rookie contracts are mostly fixed, so Jackson figured he could get that taken care of himself. "I know coming in as a rookie, an agent doesn't really negotiate anything," Jackson explained to USA Today. "You're going to get the salary you're going to get. I decided I don't need him.Jul 29, 2022

This go around it would be in his interest to have one. At least to serve as a buffer.

• Upvote 1