Who should be the NY Jets QB?

AL047

Who should be the NY Jets QB?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the QB for the NY Jets?

• Derek Carr
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • OTHER: (Please name him)

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I was blown away by you putting Derek Carr beneath Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill, and Baker "Mayflower" as you like to call him. Newsflash: Aaron Rodgers is almost 40, and looks like Derek Carr now.

Why?  They're better QB's. 

I dont understand your News Flash.  If we're getting a QB based on looks, Jimmy G. is gorgeous. 

• Haha 2

To me, there are 4 legitimate choices, all have significant pros and cons. Lamar is not in the mix.

Rodgers - was once best in show. Has he got 2 years left at diminished but still competitive level and the mindset to stay focused?

Carr - young and strong, good arm, competitor but erratic and has not had breakthrough season

Garoppolo - all he does is win when he's healthy which is not often enough

Tannehill - Matt Ryan wannabe, still in his prime. Couldn't get over the hump with the Titans

We are a playoff team with any of the 4. I would choose Carr but more that happy to ride with JDs choice. Want the uncertainty to be over so we can get on with the rest of the 2023 build.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

It should be Rodgers.

Backup acceptable option: Tannehill.

Fallback option: White plus Brissett or similar lower-cost veteran.

Can't let Zach see the field this year, if ever.

I like Tannehill.  While he's not talked about much, I'd prefer him over Carr or Garrapolo.   Would be cheaper and although he was injured last year, he's more durable than Jimmy G.  He's definitely more than a game manager and has good legs and a good arm.  He has excellent pocket presence and has tons of experience and isn't that old, 34.  That's a lot younger than Rodgers and could be had for nothing if Titans release him which is a possibility. We don't need the second coming of Peyton Manning, Brady, Staubach etc etc etc. We just need a competent, experienced QB.  Here's good you tube talk about it. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I like Tannehill.  While he's not talked about much, I'd prefer him over Carr or Garrapolo.   Would be cheaper and although he was injured last year, he's more durable than Jimmy G.  He's definitely more than a game manager and has good legs and a good arm.  He has excellent pocket presence and has tons of experience and isn't that old, 34.  That's a lot younger than Rodgers and could be had for nothing if Titans release him which is a possibility. We don't need the second coming of Peyton Manning, Brady, Staubach etc etc etc. We just need a competent, experienced QB.  Here's good you tube talk about it. 

Yeah, Tannehill is a good QB and I like him.  He's my second preference after Rodgers. Carr doesn't seem like a fit for the Jets, and Jimmy G basically means you have a very high probability of Zach starting a lot of games.

Either Rodgers or Tannehill can get this team to the playoffs.  I'm less convinced that Carr or Jimmy G would do that.

• Upvote 4

Jimmy Garoppolo

You can use whatever auxiliary verb you want: should, will, would, shall, can, could.  It's going to be Jimmy G.  Steady, proven track record, relatively reasonable cost, San Francisco connection with Saleh, familiar with the offense, and the front office still believes Zach can turn into something.

By and large, the fans aren't going to like it, but Garoppolo provides the Jets what they need most: stability and competency.  He can be brought on board at a relatively low price (no picks, mid starter money).  Zach is their Plan B if/when Jimmy G goes down.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’d be ok with this just to see him and Zach interact in training camp. 

oh man... Hard Knocks. Baker vs Zachenberg... would be great watching Zach get verbally abused. lol entertainment for sure

would finally see if Zach has any balls that's for sure

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I'm 100% with you on this.  Rodgers is #1 for me but I'd take Tanny over Carr or Jimmy G.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm 100% with you on this.  Rodgers is #1 for me but I'd take Tanny over Carr or Jimmy G.

so the question is then, why the hell is TN ready to let Tanny walk. they know he's limited. if Tannehill is a JET then JD and co are only happy with the ceiling being sneaking into the playoffs and getting over 500. 

same thing with Corey Davis. this board.. oh yeah we need that guy he's good. Me, no he's just going to disappoint you all I have watched him for many games in TN, dudes a JAG.

lol

• Upvote 1

I think Rodgers gives the best chance to win over the next two seasons. After him garapollo.  Until I hear from the jets, I expect zwilson to be a part of the teams future. And if the jets are looking for that 10-11 wins per season for the next 3-5 seasons then go with Carr.  But I also think they can achieve that mediocrity with minshew.

The quick answer is that if the Jets acquire Rodgers they are basically signing on to $110mm for two years, minimum.  that is a lot.  

If they don’t exercise his option they owe him $58mm for next year.  If they exercise the option they can reduce the cap charge to $17mm and spread that cost over four years.  But if he is playing in 2024 and he does not get hurt, his cap cost in 2024 is about $32mm.  If he gets hurt they owe him $47mm.  

If he decides to retire after 2024 there will be other significant costs that have to be carried forward, incurring amounts ranging between $15mm-$30mm in cap charges.  

But the reality is that the other possible QBs will not effectively cost $55mm/year for two years, on top of draft pick compensation.  I just think Rodgers is too expensive for what he brings as a 40 year old QB.  Brady not only gave TB a deal, but he required no draft pick comp.  

5 hours ago, Jethead said:

To me, there are 4 legitimate choices, all have significant pros and cons. Lamar is not in the mix.

Rodgers - was once best in show. Has he got 2 years left at diminished but still competitive level and the mindset to stay focused?

Carr - young and strong, good arm, competitor but erratic and has not had breakthrough season

Garoppolo - all he does is win when he's healthy which is not often enough

Tannehill - Matt Ryan wannabe, still in his prime. Couldn't get over the hump with the Titans

We are a playoff team with any of the 4. I would choose Carr but more that happy to ride with JDs choice. Want the uncertainty to be over so we can get on with the rest of the 2023 build.

How can we win the off-season when we don’t know who the QB is!?!

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Carr is a lemon

Carr is not coming to the Jets.  He will play for an NFC South team this year. 

The Packers think they are duping Woody for Rodgers.

Rodgers probably wants to LIVE in Las Vegas, but not play for that team or their coach.  

I would offer GB a 6th round draft pick to absorb $90mm of Rodgers contract spread over 4 years (with cap hits later if he retires).  GB spares itself the $58mm next year plus 2024 injury guarantee and can move forward with Jordan Love, less what they absorb to make this work.  

Rodgers, Jimmy G, Tannehill

If you want Carr who is one of the worst red zone QBs in the NFL and ranked 2nd with the most turnovers in the past 5 years then you also want JD and Saleh fired.

JD and Woody are not interested in Carr. Take that to the bank.

If for some stupid reason we get Carr, this franchise gets what they deserve. I'm so confident knowing Carr will not take us to the SB that I will literally eat dog poop if he did

We should trade Zach. Dump White and Flacco.

We should look at Minshew, Jameis Winston, Geno (if not tagged) possibly Tannehill and Dalton as short term average JAG starters,

We should draft at least 1 if not 2 QBs in the draft.  Sit the QBs for a year, devote the majority of resources to OL and weapons. Bring in a passing game coordinator/QB coach.

I know getting Rodgers sounds like a great idea, but he's going to retire in 2 years and the Jets will be back at the drawing board. Derek Carr was named as the pro bowl backup guy, he's in his prime, there won't need to be a trade (likely) for him, and he won't be as expensive. Meanwhile Rodgers is going to ask for a crap ton of cash, Jets will need to trade for him, he's past his prime and he'll retire after one or two years.

In my eyes Carr is the only really good option.