Peter King said what about Aaron Rodgers...

That makes sense but the deal could be in place just not executed. The packers would be foolish without knowing if love is the guy. When Favre was traded Rodgers was right there and ready to take over. But what it also means is the jets don’t have to give up any of this years draft picks.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I’ve done a 360 and just want Carr now. 

Rodgers is too much drama.  Zero chance he retires IMO but can’t see this guy ever being happy or locked in as a Jet, JMO.

Other than the 360, I’m in the same place. Carr seems much lower maintainance.

• Upvote 1

i just posted a thread with Tanney saying the same thing, after June 1st. we cant wait just forget about Rodgers and go for Carr. plus we need those picks, we need more players.

besides i have a feeling after seeing Love in the offseason workouts GB will change there minds and keep Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

That makes sense but the deal could be in place just not executed. The packers would be foolish without knowing if love is the guy. When Favre was traded Rodgers was right there and ready to take over. But what it also means is the jets don’t have to give up any of this years draft picks.

How would a deal be in place, but then the GBP still want time to evaluate Love?

I'm a Rodgers proponent, but I think that if the NYJ get Rodgers 'over the summer', it will be by luck, only because they missed out on all the others going off the market soon...who they WILL be in on.

No way the Jets wait patiently for an 'over the summer' trade.

Granted I’m drinking but it just seems fairly simple.  

GB:  “Aaron we are pretty much sick of you.  If we can find a partner willing to pay you $60 million would you just go already?”

AR:  “what’s in it for me” 

GB:  “well we can tell the team that is looking to acquire you that we love you, you love us, and numerous other teams are interested.   It will cost you dearly in terms of draft capital but if you are open to it we can see what can be done.”

AR:  “Then I can use that leverage to fleece that team for even more money.  Excellent.”

GB: “ Exactly.  A win-win for all.  We ‘re thinking the Jets”

AR:  “My thoughts exactly.”

All parties laugh, clink glasses, and light their stogies.  The End. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Granted I’m drinking but it just seems fairly simple.  

GB:  “Aaron we are pretty much sick of you.  If we can find a partner willing to pay you $60 million would you just go already?”

AR:  “what’s in it for me” 

GB:  “well we can tell the team that is looking to acquire you that we love you, you love us, and numerous other teams are interested.   It will cost you dearly in terms of draft capital but if you are open to it we can see what can be done.”

AR:  “Then I can use that leverage to fleece that team for even more money.  Excellent.”

GB: “ Exactly.  A win-win for all.  We ‘re thinking the Jets”

AR:  “My thoughts exactly.”

All parties laugh, clink glasses, and light their stogies.  The End. 

How does AR12 get more money out of this?

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Seems like a ploy by the Packers to get more out of the deal. If they make it seem like they'll wait a team might panic and offer more than they want to in order to get a deal done sooner

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

I’ve done a 360 and just want Carr now. 

Rodgers is too much drama.  Zero chance he retires IMO but can’t see this guy ever being happy or locked in as a Jet, JMO.

Kind of getting there myself.

9 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

How would a deal be in place, but then the GBP still want time to evaluate Love?

I'm a Rodgers proponent, but I think that if the NYJ get Rodgers 'over the summer', it will be by luck, only because they missed out on all the others going off the market soon...who they WILL be in on.

No way the Jets wait patiently for an 'over the summer' trade.

good point.  i would think that if there was a wink and a nod type deal the packers would be happy with moving on fro rodgers and using love.  love kind of gives lafleur a coaching reset since they do so well this past season.  maybe the packers would send a future draft pick if rodgers isn't traded and there was a deal of some sort in place.

Could Rodgers be trying to get more $$ from Green Bay or maybe like Favre before him be trying to get on another team so he can stick it to the cheapskates running the Pack? Brett Favre's whole deal was to use the Jets so that he could get to play for the Vikings, which is what happened for two seasons. His first season after "retiring from the game" he throws for almost a thousand yards more than he did for the Jets 33 TDs 7 INTs 68%. Who could Rodgers be looking to stick it to the Packers with? The Bears maybe?

Now. there are a lot of us who were all in on the Jets taking Derek Carr, and somewhere along the way, it all changed into this Aaron Rodgers to the Jets thing.  Look, David Harris and Maxman are right, maybe we need to stop with this fantasy of the Jets winning a Super Bowl with AR and come back down to reality. The only reason Carr has never won a Championship is because he never had a defense behind him like the Jets can offer him. It would be just like the SOJ to lose out on both Rodgers and Carr and end up with Gardner Minshew II battling it out with the great Zach Wilson for a starting job after also losing Mike White in FA

Sign Derek Carr-these guys who have been saying this are right because this IS the Jets and Woody Johnson we're talking about. 

Is it possible for the Jets and Packers to agree to a trade today - let's say 13th overall is involved - and the Jets essentially draft the player Green Bay tells them to draft.  Then on June 1st they ship him and whatever else to Green Bay?  I'm just trying to think of ways we can still get ****ed even if doesn't get traded until after the draft.....this gets my hopes up that we'll actually keep the pick but if something like this is possible, that would really suck.  

This is just conjecture. The speculation is that the Packers would wait until June 1 in order to maximize their cap savings/minimize their dead cap hit. Two things: 

1. If Rodgers were moved June 1, it would absolutely be "agreed upon" beforehand. The primary difference would be that the Packers would likely have to accept compensation in the 2024-25 drafts instead, but that may be deemed advantageous to them as this draft isn't necessarily flush with talent. 
  2. Rodgers has already indicated that he would likely need to restructure his contract and would be open to doing so. This kind of restructure is extremely uncommon, but a scenario does exist where Rodgers can "refund" a portion of his signing bonus which would be credited against the Packers cap. From there, a trade would occur and the acquiring team would restructure his contract to "repay" that refund. It's unprecedented, but the "Barry Sanders rule" kind of provides a framework for how it can work. 

If the Packers value picks in this year's draft, I think they would just bite the bullet and trade ASAP. 

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

Rodgers was 35/59 for 218 1/1 when they traded Favre.  

Or are you saying that they must know about Jordan Love already? 

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is just conjecture. The speculation is that the Packers would wait until June 1 in order to maximize their cap savings/minimize their dead cap hit. Two things: 

1. If Rodgers were moved June 1, it would absolutely be "agreed upon" beforehand. The primary difference would be that the Packers would likely have to accept compensation in the 2024-25 drafts instead, but that may be deemed advantageous to them as this draft isn't necessarily flush with talent. 
  2. Rodgers has already indicated that he would likely need to restructure his contract and would be open to doing so. This kind of restructure is extremely uncommon, but a scenario does exist where Rodgers can "refund" a portion of his signing bonus which would be credited against the Packers cap. From there, a trade would occur and the acquiring team would restructure his contract to "repay" that refund. It's unprecedented, but the "Barry Sanders rule" kind of provides a framework for how it can work. 

If the Packers value picks in this year's draft, I think they would just bite the bullet and trade ASAP. 

Oh brother.  As is the Jets would owe Rodgers $110mm if he played 23-24 and $58mm if he played 1 and retired  They can spread that over 2 or 3 years, maybe 4.