What if we don't get the big boys?

oldjetman

Let's assume we don't get Rodgers or Carr. I know I'll get raked over the coals for this but my opinion is to get the best available veteran remaining and then draft a QB with our top pick. I can hear the boos raining down on me already  but I don't agree in giving up on the draft after our previous  failures. Yes, we might be reaching a bit and yes, we need o-line but a decent QB for this year and beyond is our number 1 priority. If we need to trade-up a few spots do it. Or, maybe trade down a few spots, still get our guy, and pick up an extra pick or two. We start the veteran and see how it goes with the rookie. I know it's a big gamble but all of the veteran QB options are gambles also. I'll be interested in hearing your views on the rookie QBs who may be available for the Jets. As far as the o-line worries, I think we are in better shape than many believe. We do need a tackle and a new center would be nice but we were decimated by injuries last year and the o-line was never able to develop chemistry. AVT will make a huge difference. Fire away!

Wouldn't mind rolling with White and some other jag serviceable vet.  Keep the draft picks and keep building a great squad.

See if Zach can develop without any pressure to play next season.  If White and Zach both fail, swing for the fences with a high priced vet in 2024.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Ugh 2

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

If no Rodgers or Carr I’ll take in order

Danny Dimes

Ryan Tannehill

Jameis Winston

Carson Wentz 

Jacoby Brisette 

Baker Mayfield 

Mariota might fit ok? 

Not exactly happy with most of them 

No Minshew?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If the Jets can’t get Rodgers or Carr then I’d think the best option would be Tannehill on a 1-2yr deal with a decent pick invested at QB in the draft (Hooker,Richardson)

Tannehill is not a FA and I'm not sure why the Titans would release him

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If the Jets can’t get Rodgers or Carr then I’d think the best option would be Tannehill on a 1-2yr deal with a decent pick invested at QB in the draft (Hooker,Richardson)

Hooker and Richardson are not lasting past the 1st round.  So Pass.  We need a OT. Period. Brown is like 80 years old, Fant wont be resigned, McGovern probably wont be resigned and an upgrade would be a smart idea and Becton is a question mark.  Cant go onto 2023 with a line so out of sync.  In second round, JD needs a center to groom and eventually take over.  QB, while its a huge need, just cant be answered early in the draft. JD will continue to try and groom Zach, sign a vet like Jimmy G or Tannehill.  

Fix the OL, improve the safeties, dump a lot of vets who are expensive that underperformed, sign a vet QB and vet WR, sign QW and away we go.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, undertow said:

I think it's hilarious Derek Carr somehow became one of the "big boys". lol  

In the posts and news I've been reading Carr & Rodgers have been the overwhelming topics of discussion as possible QBs for the Jets and other teams. So, I guess it all depends on your definition of "big boys." The Buccaneers won their division with a record of 8-9. Mediocre? Of course. But they made the playoffs and had a chance to go to the "Big Game." So Carr may not be a great QB but he, along with Rodgers are the most desired veteran QBs for the needy teams. So for this year, yes, they are the "big boys."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

You guys have to stop dreaming. The biggest “boy” we have a realistic chance of acquiring is Jimmy G.

It doesn’t seem like the Jets are interested in Carr, and Rodgers is a pipe dream.

Not getting Rodgers would be dodging a lethal bullet.  He's just an albatross at this point of his career. He's a ridiculously overpaid declining old QB who rubs everyone the wrong way and doesn't seem to give a damn any more.  Carr seems likely to want to play elsewhere.  Take a one year fix and try again next season. There are always 1-2 options out there.  If Woody gets desperate and offers GB the moon, this franchise is screwed long term rather than a season if they miss out on Carr too.  Carr is no guarantee either.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Why would any good veteran qb want to come to the Jets? Seriously?

1)losing is acceptable as long as you improve by one or two wins.

2)the team totally ignores the epic collapse at the end of the season and tries desperately to spin a positive (FINISH STRONG)

3)No playoff mandate or goal to contend for a superbowl from ownership or management 

4) last year the Jets went from starting to be respected to laughing stock of the NFL again all in one season.

5)haven’t been to the playoffs since 2010 (longest streak currently in the NFL)

So if somebody can explain to me how they can recruit a good veteran qb to come here other than the money I’m all ears.

Let’s face it, word has gotten around the league about the management of this organization, and it’s not good. it’s the same as a good veteran head coach never being interested in the Jets job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

MONEY. He's owed a ton. And they ready to turn the page and give their new QB they drafted last year the ball.  

Malik Willis was a 3rd rd pick and is awful. They have very little invested in him and their window to win is now. 

This doesn't sound like a HC who is ready to move on. Also if Tannehill is released he'll be going to Atlanta with his old OC Arthur Smith. 

Realistically I think the Jets only shot at a legitimate starting caliber veteran QB is Rodgers. If he retires it will not be good. 

Raiders- Jimmy G, dome, good weather and old OC

Giants- Daniel Jones

Seahawks- Geno Smith

Falcons- Tannehill, HC connection from Tenn

Ravens- Lamar

NFC South- Carr. His brothers and him are extremely religious and have extreme views that won't work in NY/NJ. Just go look at both brothers Twitter accounts to see what I mean. He's going to pick somewhere in the South where nobody will question his views. That's how I see it and it's why Boomer keeps saying he wouldn't be a good fit here.

Any other QB would be a major disappointment. It's Rodgers or bust. 

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

The "develop Zach" guys are ridiculous. The dude sucks, it's over. The entire coaching staff and team know it. The only one who won't accept it is JD. Wilson is going to get everyone fired if he sees the field next year in any meaningful way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

If G does wants to sign here, you just nailed it.

jimmy g is literally the worst option we can pursue at ab. a severely injury prone jag. would be a huge waste of money and our backup would end up being the qb next year. stay clear of that injury prone garbage

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1