What if we don't get the big boys?

oldjetman

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

If the Jets can’t get Rodgers or Carr then I’d think the best option would be Tannehill on a 1-2yr deal with a decent pick invested at QB in the draft (Hooker,Richardson)

No drafting a QB until 2024 when we need to package picks and/or players to move up for Drake Maye...

7 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Jimmy G brings the Jets to the playoffs. Derek Carr likely the same. Aaron Rodgers gives us a realistic chance to go deep into the playoffs. People that don’t want this guy first and foremost, are delusional. 

I think Jimmie g can get this team deep into the playoffs barring injury. I don’t see that with Carr.  I think both Rodgers and Jimmie g give instant credibility to the qb position as seen by the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

If G does wants to sign here, you just nailed it.

I think @bitonti might be right and it’s killing me. This is all crap, so they can say they tried. It’s all about getting someone as a place holder until Zach learns how to play football. Just wow, so bad. Wait till a couple years and we are we are trading away G. Wilson and Sauce because teams rebuilding don’t need to pay guys like that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

jimmy g is literally the worst option we can pursue at ab. a severely injury prone jag. would be a huge waste of money and our backup would end up being the qb next year. stay clear of that injury prone garbage

I get nauseous just thinking about him coming here, but I still think amongst the “top 3” he is the most likely.

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think @bitonti might be right and it’s killing me. This is all crap, so they can say they tried. It’s all about getting someone as a place holder until Zach learns how to play football. Just wow, so bad. Wait till a couple years and we are we are trading away G. Wilson and Sauce because teams rebuilding don’t need to pay guys like that. 

This is the future.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You guys have to stop dreaming. The biggest “boy” we have a realistic chance of acquiring is Jimmy G.

It doesn’t seem like the Jets are interested in Carr, and Rodgers is a pipe dream.

Gut feeling, Jimmy G is fed up with the Shanahan tree that was giving up on him the last 2.5 years. He's going to Tenn. I really think Tannehill is the QB if it's not Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’m really curious to see how they handle QW this offseason. If it drags on, the Jets will start leaking #’s he turned down without mentioning contract structure, the fans will turn against him and it will all start to snowball.

As far as QB, I am not usually one to defend the Jets FO, but in all fairness they’re not the ones who have put this Rodgers/Carr BS out there. That’s all coming from  fan and media speculation. The fans have set themselves up to be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This makes me laugh and cry at the same time because I know it is inevitable.

8 hours ago, oldjetman said:

Let's assume we don't get Rodgers or Carr. I know I'll get raked over the coals for this but my opinion is to get the best available veteran remaining and then draft a QB with our top pick. I can hear the boos raining down on me already  but I don't agree in giving up on the draft after our previous  failures. Yes, we might be reaching a bit and yes, we need o-line but a decent QB for this year and beyond is our number 1 priority. If we need to trade-up a few spots do it. Or, maybe trade down a few spots, still get our guy, and pick up an extra pick or two. We start the veteran and see how it goes with the rookie. I know it's a big gamble but all of the veteran QB options are gambles also. I'll be interested in hearing your views on the rookie QBs who may be available for the Jets. As far as the o-line worries, I think we are in better shape than many believe. We do need a tackle and a new center would be nice but we were decimated by injuries last year and the o-line was never able to develop chemistry. AVT will make a huge difference. Fire away!

There is zero chance JD and saleh sign off on a qb in rd 1. You have to assume that the first rd qb will take 3 years to develop. By the time that qb is good, and that’s a question in itself, both JD and saleh could be fired. The window to develop a qb for the duo has closed. They are now fighting to keep their jobs. The first rounder will be invested into a player that can help immediately. A first rd qb riding the pine will do nothing to save their jobs. The priority for the duo is having a great 2023 season, they aren’t worried about 2025 because they may not be around.

• Upvote 1

It's not the end of the world if the Jets don't blow their wad on Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr. It's NOT Rodgers/Carr or bust. All the Jets need is a competent quarterback to run the offense. Keep building upon the Jets strength which is DEFENSE. Get another stud running back late in the draft or steal Saquon from the Giants after they mistakenly re-sign Daniel Jones to a mammoth contract. Patch the o-line up through free agency and the draft. Bottom line fellas, 3rd place Aaron Rodgers did NOT look great last season - he's looking like an older Carr but you probably need to give up multiple prime draft picks to get him... As for Derek Carr he's alright but he's no a savior - basically a poor man's Drew Brees. We have to go for the QB's with question marks, i.e. the Baker Mayfield's and Gardner Minshew's of the world. Build the D to be NASTY. RUN the ball better than anyone in the NFL. Mix in a SPICY QB with all of that, and you got a team going to the playoffs.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Gut feeling, Jimmy G is fed up with the Shanahan tree that was giving up on him the last 2.5 years. He's going to Tenn. I really think Tannehill is the QB if it's not Rodgers.

That makes a lot of sense.  This would not only give the jets br(ass) an excuse when they don’t land a big fish, but it would preserve the draft capital and allow them to hopefully fix the OL and then draft a qb in 2024.

9 minutes ago, extmenace said:

There is zero chance JD and saleh sign off on a qb in rd 1. You have to assume that the first rd qb will take 3 years to develop. By the time that qb is good, and that’s a question in itself, both JD and saleh could be fired. The window to develop a qb for the duo has closed. They are now fighting to keep their jobs. The first rounder will be invested into a player that can help immediately. A first rd qb riding the pine will do nothing to save their jobs. The priority for the duo is having a great 2023 season, they aren’t worried about 2025 because they may not be around.

I think the main reason they won’t go qb in round 1 is b/c they’re too far back to trade up.  There’s enough qb needy teams that are either in the top 5 or close, and douglas isn’t burning future picks to get one of the rooks.  If the jets were picking 8th it would be a different conversation.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'm ok with that. If Douglas and Saleh are that stupid, then I'd rather just bottom out in 2023 and get a new administration and coaching staff in the building, its not necessary to prolong things. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BurntDice said:

If no Rodgers or Carr I’ll take in order

Danny Dimes

Ryan Tannehill

Jameis Winston

Carson Wentz 

Jacoby Brisette 

Baker Mayfield 

Mariota might fit ok? 

Not exactly happy with most of them 

Danny Dimes isn’t going to get anywhere near free agency.

How do you put Wentz above Brissette or Baker?  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Well, you see, then we’re f*cked.

He would probably never come back, and Douglas probably isn’t willing to swallow his pride to say he was wrong and bring him back but I think Sam Darnold should be the backup plan on a 2 year deal, and bring back White.  Darnold and White compete for Starting QB job Zach Wilson sits and watches.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What are you talking about?
They play in the toughest division in the NFL and were 5-0 against the AFC this year.

Come on man their SOS was easier than ours and many others in the AFC. I thought it was fairly well know that the NFC is much weaker than the AFC this season. The NFCE is not the hardest division in the nfl 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'm ok with that. If Douglas and Saleh are that stupid, then I'd rather just bottom out in 2023 and get a new administration and coaching staff in the building, it’s not necessary to prolong things. 

Why not right. I guess. Why try winning while we have a young talented roster with guys on first contract? New guy comes in trade our good players for picks and continue the perpetual rebuild. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I’d take Brissette or Baker over Wentz.  
I hope to god JD would too. 

Why? Wentz has 3 seasons of 27+ tds and 7 picks. Would have won MVP if he didn’t get hurt one year. Is it because people say he’s bad in the locker room? I watched an interview with him saying how he’s grown up a lot since starting a family and getting older. 

If we don't get one of the big boys...

just f it. 

bring back Mike white, draft. rookie and hope to god they surprise you, if they don't have high pick for the next draft. no point to bringing in a Tannehchoke to just be good enough to maybe get a wildcard for him to give the game away F that

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

this would be more disappointing than bringing in Corey Davis. you all liking Tannehill is a F*ng joke. 

Because I would absolutely hate it, we probably end up with Tannechoke, the great QB TN can't wait to get off the books... lol

just like I was going to hate it if we got Corey Davis, so yeah you prob right. and F Joe Douglas if this is his "veteran" on a win now team... go the the guy that can't win when no Derick Henry and teams aren't putting 9 in the box. 

1 minute ago, Stark said:

If we don't get one of the big boys...

just f it. 

bring back Mike white, draft. rookie and hope to god they surprise you, if they don't have high pick for the next draft. no point to bringing in a Tannehchoke to just be good enough to maybe get a wildcard for him to give the game away F that

I want nothing to do with Tannehill.  Squeezing into the playoffs for a first round loss with a declining QB doesn’t appeal to me.  That’s why I’d rather take a Winston or Baker trying to prove they’re still a #1 type QBs

• Upvote 2