What if we don't get the big boys?

oldjetman

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I want nothing to do with Tannehill.  Squeezing into the playoffs for a first round loss with a declining QB doesn’t appeal to me.  That’s why I’d rather take a Winston or Baker trying to prove they’re still a #1 type QBs

yes... 

agree.

End of year press conferences... we are a qb away, we are a win now team, we are trying to win a SB

that does not say bring in Ryan F*n Tannehill who TN regretted signing to that deal the year after and only kept him through this season because of the cap issue they couldn't cut him.

quit taking Titans garbage. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Washington Football Team Wsu GIF by Pac-12 Network

This is by far my choice if we dont land carr, and I really dont want rogers.

Given where we are picking, we have no choice but to use our draft picks to build the defense and OL and then plug in Minshew.  I cannot imagine that he is that much of a dropoff from someone like Jimmy G and at his age he even has some upside.  We arent finding a QB to go out and throw for 350 vs Joe Burrow or Mahomes - we need to build the defense and running game to compete with those guys and Minshew, at his price, allows us to do that

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why? Wentz has 3 seasons of 27+ tds and 7 picks. Would have won MVP if he didn’t get hurt one year. Is it because people say he’s bad in the locker room? I watched an interview with him saying how he’s grown up a lot since starting a family and getting older. 

Wentz does not protect the football and he is a disaster in the locker room from an accountability standpoint.  

If we don't get one of the big 3 (Rodgers, Carr, Lamar) then lets look to make our version of the Diggs/AJ Brown type deal and go out and get a top WR in his prime to pair with G Wilson and give our QB, whoever he may be, a couple of great weapons.  There were some rumblings that Tee Higgins might be made avaialble by Cincy -- #13 for Higgns and Minshew/Brissett/JimmyG or whomever has Higgins, Wilson & Moore with Breece in the backfield.  There may be other options, but I am not sure who may become available.

If we keep 13, then go get an OL in round 1 and WR in round 2.  

• Upvote 3

Jets fans are definitely setting themselves up for disappointment.

Carr does not want to come here.  Rodgers is a pipe dream.  Lamar is not leaving the Ravens.

The answer is pretty simple in my opinion.  It's going to be Jimmy Garoppolo.

He has a 40-17 career record as a starter.  He completes over 67% of his passes.  He has a 2-1 TD:INT ratio.  He has a connection with Robert Saleh in San Francisco.  He has deep knowledge of the Shanahan offense.  He can be brought on board at a reasonable price (no draft picks and mid level starter money).  He provides an opening for the continued development of Zach Wilson, which is something the front office appears to want.

The Jets need stability and consistency at the quarterback position.  They need someone who knows how to win.  Jimmy Garoppolo provides much of what the Jets are looking for, and it's not going to break the bank to bring him in.  It won't be the most popular move, but Jimmy G is a step above anyone the Jets have had since the last time they were relevant.  He takes this team from a pretender to a contender.  Solid, consistent quarterback play is what this team needs the most.

• Upvote 1

In terms of ability at this stage in their career, it goes Lamar > Rodgers >>>>  Healthy Jimmy G > Carr > recovering from injury Jimmy G > Tannehill/Minshew > M White.

We aren't getting Lamar.  Rogers and Jimmy G are both possibilities, but by no means guaranteed.

I have a feeling that if we miss on those top guys (which is 50/50), then we pivot back into a build through the draft qb, which might mean we trade up for a qb, or we get a Minshew/White/Tannehill and mulligan the year for the 2024 qb class. 

I would prefer a real qb, but i'm ok with the slow and steady build through the draft approach, even if it does suck for next year.

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is by far my choice if we dont land carr, and I really dont want rogers.

Given where we are picking, we have no choice but to use our draft picks to build the defense and OL and then plug in Minshew.  I cannot imagine that he is that much of a dropoff from someone like Jimmy G and at his age he even has some upside.  We arent finding a QB to go out and throw for 350 vs Joe Burrow or Mahomes - we need to build the defense and running game to compete with those guys and Minshew, at his price, allows us to do that

You need to have a QB to be able to compete with them. The defenses don't hold up like they used to. The Eagles just put up 35 against the best defense in the NFL, that tells you all you need to know. 

9 minutes ago, Hael said:

In terms of ability at this stage in their career, it goes Lamar > Rodgers >>>>  Healthy Jimmy G > Carr > recovering from injury Jimmy G > Tannehill/Minshew > M White.

We aren't getting Lamar.  Rogers and Jimmy G are both possibilities, but by no means guaranteed.

I have a feeling that if we miss on those top guys (which is 50/50), then we pivot back into a build through the draft qb, which might mean we trade up for a qb, or we get a Minshew/White/Tannehill and mulligan the year for the 2024 qb class. 

I would prefer a real qb, but i'm ok with the slow and steady build through the draft approach, even if it does suck for next year.

There is no way Woody would allow JD to trade assets this year and multiple future years to draft a QB after the debacle with the Wilson pick. JD is on his last legs here if they don't get Jimmy G or Rodgers. 

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Carr does not want to come here.  Rodgers is a pipe dream.  Lamar is not leaving the Ravens.

He has a 40-17 career record as a starter.  He completes over 67% of his passes.  He has a 2-1 TD:INT ratio.  He has a connection with Robert Saleh in San Francisco.  He has deep knowledge of the Shanahan offense.  He can be brought on board at a reasonable price (no draft picks and mid level starter money).  He provides an opening for the continued development of Zach Wilson, which is something the front office appears to want.

The Jets need stability and consistency at the quarterback position.  They need someone who knows how to win.  Jimmy Garoppolo provides much of what the Jets are looking for, and it's not going to break the bank to bring him in.  It won't be the most popular move, but Jimmy G is a step above anyone the Jets have had since the last time they were relevant.  He takes this team from a pretender to a contender.  Solid, consistent quarterback play is what this team needs the most.

Jimmy G will pick the Raiders over the Jets all day every day bc of location, taxes and his connection with McDaniels from NE.

17 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

we are not running that offense anymore and Jimmy G is gonna miss 4-8 games 

Jimmy G gets us basically the same season we just had,.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hael said:

I would prefer a real qb, but i'm ok f

slow and steady with a similar year and Woody will clear house and we'll be slow and steady rebuilding again because will be wasn't prime years of young good players on rookie deals

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I think @bitonti might be right and it’s killing me. This is all crap, so they can say they tried. It’s all about getting someone as a place holder until Zach learns how to play football. Just wow, so bad. Wait till a couple years and we are we are trading away G. Wilson and Sauce because teams rebuilding don’t need to pay guys like that. 

You know it's coming.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stark said:

we are not running that offense anymore and Jimmy G is gonna miss 4-8 games 

Jimmy G gets us basically the same season we just had,.

Shanahan, LaFleur, and Hackett are all part of the same coaching tree and run similar offensive systems.  At least that's my understanding.  Perhaps I'm off base.

Agree to disagree.  The Jets biggest issue in 2022 was inconsistent and incompetent quarterback play.  Jimmy G is not an elite talent, but his presence and level of play changes everything for this team in my opinion.

Doing a high level analysis of 2022, the Jets quarterbacks combined had 4 out of 17 games with a QB rating above 90.  Jimmy Garoppolo had a QB rating above 90 in 9 out of 11 games he started.  They are not in the same ballpark.

39 minutes ago, jgb said:

I want Minshew no matter what he’d be the league’s best backup, at worst. But he will opt for the place with the clearest road to snaps and that won’t be here.

He would be high on my list for QB1... IF we miss out on the bigger names. Which means he would be a solid backup.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

If we don't get one of the big 3 (Rodgers, Carrt, Lamar) then lets look to make our version of the Diggs/AJ Brown type deal and go out and get a top WR in his prime to pair with G Wilson and give our QB, whoever he may be, a couple of great weapons.  There were some rumblings that Tee Higgins might be made avaialble by Cincy -- #13 for Higgns and Minshew/Brissett/JimmyG or whomever has Higgins, Wilson & Moore with Breece in the backfield.  There may be other options, but I am not sure who may become available.

If we keep 13, then go get an OL in round 1 and WR in round 2.  

I agree only my target would be Mike Evans

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Why? Wentz has 3 seasons of 27+ tds and 7 picks. Would have won MVP if he didn’t get hurt one year. Is it because people say he’s bad in the locker room? I watched an interview with him saying how he’s grown up a lot since starting a family and getting older. 

Did you watch any of Wentz this year?  Guy got beat out by Taylor Heinicke, and was not popular in DC, locker rooms or fans.  Dear lord, him and Wilson in the same locker room would be nightmarish.

He isn't the Wentz of his prime, he's horrible.  Pass.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did you watch any of Wentz this year?  Guy got beat out by Taylor Heinicke, and was not popular in DC, locker rooms or fans.  Dear lord, him and Wilson in the same locker room would be nightmarish.

He isn't the Wentz of his prime, he's horrible.  Pass.

Is “prime” Wentz 2021? 27 tds 7 ints 62.5 comp % 3500 yards

51 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Shanahan, LaFleur, and Hackett are all part of the same coaching tree and run similar offensive systems.  At least that's my understanding.  Perhaps I'm off base.

Agree to disagree.  The Jets biggest issue in 2022 was inconsistent and incompetent quarterback play.  Jimmy G is not an elite talent, but his presence and level of play changes everything for this team in my opinion.

Doing a high level analysis of 2022, the Jets quarterbacks combined had 4 out of 17 games with a QB rating above 90.  Jimmy Garoppolo had a QB rating above 90 in 9 out of 11 games he started.  They are not in the same ballpark.

yes we only needed average qb play last year. 

Jimmy G if you can bubble wrap him and protect him is decent. but I don't see him playing more than 7-9 games. made of glass. 

plus if you're Jimmy you can stay out west and go back to McDaniels and have Davante Adams 

id rather have Jimmy G than Tannechoke, or brisket or the others. not named Lamar, Rodgers, Carr

1 hour ago, Stark said:

this would be more disappointing than bringing in Corey Davis. you all liking Tannehill is a F*ng joke. 

Because I would absolutely hate it, we probably end up with Tannechoke, the great QB TN can't wait to get off the books... lol

just like I was going to hate it if we got Corey Davis, so yeah you prob right. and F Joe Douglas if this is his "veteran" on a win now team... go the the guy that can't win when no Derick Henry and teams aren't putting 9 in the box. 

Timeout, who likes Tannehill?

9 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Is “prime” Wentz 2021? 27 tds 7 ints 62.5 comp % 3500 yards

No, it's be 2017 Wentz.  

If you want to advocate for Wentz, have at it, but I don't see any universe when JD is even considering Wentz, much less pursuing him.  Wentz is much more the 2020/2022 version of himself now, a guy so disliked and unproductive he cannot find a team to retain him for more than a year at a time.  What did the Colts do after that 27/7 year, when Wentz blew the season vs. the Raiders, then the no-account Jags?  Dumped him, fast as they could.

I don't think he's the guy, for us or anyone now.  I'd rather have the guy who beat him out, but I don't really want him either.   We should be aiming higher than the Wentz's of the league.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Well, you see, then we’re f*cked.

It does not have to mean we are 'effed, if the Jets brass read this thread.  I have instructions for them.

One more time, for the Jets sake and for your very own personal viewing pleasure, I am going to PIMPITY PIMP PIMP Tanner McKee.

He will be available for the Jets at the 13th spot.  He is the most NFL ready of all the QB's in the draft and I believe he will be the most effective passer in the 2023 QB draft class.

This is frustrating for me because I can see this clearly and the Jets brass wont.  I was sure Becton and Zach Wilson were going to be colossal busts and they didn't listen.  Nor, will they listen now.  

Here it is for the taking.  A QB solution that will be effective and economical.

And they will let it get away from them with the same Jet-like idiocy that saw them flush Trevor Lawrence down the spout.

The Jets are the Jets

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

It does not have to mean we are 'effed, if the Jets brass read this thread.  I have instructions for them.

One more time, for the Jets sake and for your very own personal viewing pleasure, I am going to PIMPITY PIMP PIMP Tanner McKee.

He will be available for the Jets at the 13th spot.  He is the most NFL ready of all the QB's in the draft and I believe he will be the most effective passer in the 2023 QB draft class.

This is frustrating for me because I can see this clearly and the Jets brass wont.  I was sure Becton and Zach Wilson were going to be colossal busts and they didn't listen.  Nor, they wont listen now.  

Here it is for the taking.  A QB solution that will be effective and economical.

And they will let it get away from them with the same Jet-like idiocy that saw them flush Trevor Lawrence down the spout.

The Jets are the Jets

The position might be open in about 11 months!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, it's be 2017 Wentz.  

If you want to advocate for Wentz, have at it, but I don't see any universe when JD is even considering Wentz, much less pursuing him.  Wentz is much more the 2020/2022 version of himself now, a guy so disliked and unproductive he cannot find a team to retain him for more than a year at a time.  What did the Colts do after that 27/7 year, when Wentz blew the season vs. the Raiders, then the no-account Jags?  Dumped him, fast as they could.

I don't think he's the guy, for us or anyone now.  I'd rather have the guy who beat him out, but I don't really want him either.   We should be aiming higher than the Wentz's of the league.

Wentz isn’t the top of my list either. I just think all the hate he gets isn’t justified. There may be a possibility jd goes after him even in a backup role. He was there when he was drafted. 

The colts are a train wreck and the owner is constantly recycling qbs. They shouldn’t be the ideal for how to handle qbs. 

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Timeout, who likes Tannehill?

there are posters on the board that do, you may not be one. just the one that mentioned him that I finally "tipped" lol

End of year press conferences... we are a qb away, we are a win now team, we are trying to win a SB

that does not say bring in Ryan F*n Tannehill who TN regretted signing to that deal the year after and only kept him through this season because of the cap issue they couldn't cut him.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, oldjetman said:

draft a QB with our top pick. I can hear the boos raining down on me already  but I don't agree in giving up on the draft after our previous  failures. Yes, we might be reaching a bit and yes, we need o-line but a decent QB for this year and beyond is our number 1 priority.

And that's been the problem with the Jets this entire time. You don't just take a QB in the 1st round for the sake of taking one. You have to evaluate correctly and take a QB that's worth that particular draft slot. This is why we end up with the bums we do in the draft, not evaluating correctly and drafting a QB for QB's sake 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Wentz isn’t the top of my list either. I just think all the hate he gets isn’t justified.

Sounds like you didn't see him play in 2022, honestly.  

There may be a possibility jd goes after him even in a backup role. He was there when he was drafted.

It is a connection, true.

The colts are a train wreck and the owner is constantly recycling qbs. They shouldn’t be the ideal for how to handle qbs. 

And we should?  :-k

Coming here would be more of the same, Wentz going to QB desperate teams with histories of QB mismanagement.  Why would here be different than say, DC, who was every bit as talented roster-wise last year as we were?

Just now, Stark said:

there are posters on the board that do, you may not be one. just the one that mentioned him that I finally "tipped" lol

Lol okk, I was gonna say, I'd ve livid.

I do think JD can go all out for a QB and it may not be his fault it doesn't get done.

Rodgers - Raiders can beat all our picks in a trade.

Carr - May not even consider NY and wants to play for his former Coach.

Jimmy G - Could see him being done with the Shanahan guys and got play for former Patriot in Vrabel 

Lamar - If traded, likely to NFC (Falcons)

It's a horrible scenario honestly. The only way I really blame Douglas is if we lose out because JD pinched pennies.