Scary Deja Vu Regarding Rodgers.

32EBoozer

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The Favre experiment was actually going pretty well until Favre hurt his arm in 2008.  If he stuck with the Jets and Rex in 2009 and 2010, the Jets very well could have won a Superbowl.

Agreed.  At 8-3, coming off two huge road wins, I thought we had a great shot at the Super Bowl. 

But Favre and Mangini put that f**king streak ahead of the team.  Anyone watching the games knew Favre was not the same guy, but they would not sit him down.  Did not help that Kellen Clemens was our back up and he struggled when he had the chance to play in 07 -- not sure it would have turned out any differently had Clemens played, but Favre was awful down the stretch that season.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Now I have been listening to Jake Asman's YouTube stuff and his and most of the media guys he has on are all in accordance with the whole "AR can win us a Super Bowl, unlike anyone else" I started out all in on the "I want Derek Carr for 2023", then I started getting caught up in the idea of a AR chance at immortality. But I'm coming back around to the idea of having a guy who will stay healthy and (historically) throw 25 TDs for us with only  half as many interceptions. Imagine if we'd fielded a QB with these "off-year" numbers in 2022 instead of Zach Wilson't pathetic 1688 yard  6TD and 7 INT 36.4 QB Rating what the Jets could have done.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Favre’s goal all along was to get to the Vikings so he could stick it to the Packers.   Jets wouldn’t have been able to keep him.   Rodgers doesn’t seem to have a desire to play in the NFCN and stick it to GB because he learned from watching Favre that he wants a good legacy coming back to GB in retirement for alumni weekends.   If he comes back it’s to win another SB and cement his place in history

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/08/07/look-back-brett-favre-trade-jets-10-years-later/924042002/

Both 39, both stringing the Packers along by the nose (Maybe retire/maybe not), both insulted by the drafting of their replacement and not mentoring the younger Qb. Both flakes but popular with offensive & defensive veteran players and both management teams unable to figure out how to cut ties. Both SB winning Qb’s cresting in their careers.

The more I consider Rodgers, the more I’m thinking it’s not the right move at Qb. It could turn out to be Favre 2.0. He starts off great and then things begin to devolve after he gets injured and expectations aren’t met. 

Rodgers Cap will be WAYYY more problematic than moving on from Favre.

Cimini’s original article.

https://es.pn/2AP8t4M

Yes counting on fluke injury I'd best bet.

Man Rogers would be great here.

31 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's hilarious to me the way people view the Favre year. He had the Jets as Super Bowl contenders until the injury. And the following season, he led the Vikings to NFC Championship game.

Also, Rodgers is better than Favre. 

If the Jets can pull off a trade, everyone should be doing cartwheels. 

It's hilarious to me how everyone ignores how Favre got hurt: by being old 

40 year old men have glass Jaws 

That's why Brady was throwing balls into the dirt at the end he had no interest in taking a hit 

Favre also had nick and brick, Alan Faneca etc 

There's no way Aaron Rodgers looks at this Jets line and says "these guys will keep me safe" 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

The Favre experiment was actually going pretty well until Favre hurt his arm in 2008.  If he stuck with the Jets and Rex in 2009 and 2010, the Jets very well could have won a Superbowl.

But he didn't.

Didn't stay healthy.  Didn't stay with the Jets.  Didn't win another Super Bowl.

That's part of the history lesson as well.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 2

58 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's hilarious to me the way people view the Favre year. He had the Jets as Super Bowl contenders until the injury. And the following season, he led the Vikings to NFC Championship game.

Also, Rodgers is better than Favre. 

If the Jets can pull off a trade, everyone should be doing cartwheels. 

Most of the people discussing those years online were 13 yrs old at the time....same people who are using stats to tell you how awesome Derek Carr is without watching him play for 10 minutes.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's why Brady was throwing balls into the dirt at the end he had no interest in taking a hit 

There's no way Aaron Rodgers looks at this Jets line and says "these guys will keep me safe" 

The only QB on the Jets roster that did not miss time due to injury this year was 38 year old Joe Flacco.

QBs playing a very long time is no longer an outlier.

Obviously we need to sure up the OL. That goes without saying regardless of the age of the QB

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rodgers also doesn't have a side hustle of trying to rob welfare recipients and soliciting massage therapists with dick pics, so maybe that's keeping him young.

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

weren't you one saying that OL was not a problem, it was only the QB? Do you have scales, because you flip like a fish out of water

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Yep & then the next year Favre got the Vikings to the exact spot we got without him.

Definitely could of won it together.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It could turn out to be Favre 2.0. He starts off great and then things begin to devolve after he gets injured and expectations aren’t met. 

Why would Favre 2.0 be a bad thing? 8-3 1st place in the AFC before THE Iron Man got hurt. He went on to have his best season as a pro the following year on Minnesota.

If you plug Favre in place of Sanchez the Jets likely have a SB.

28 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

weren't you one saying that OL was not a problem, it was only the QB? Do you have scales, because you flip like a fish out of water

I doubt it.

I rank offensive lines every week and the Jets even in their avt 5-2 glory never made it beyond 22nd out of 32 

It's been a problem and now they have huge holes at C and T

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Now I have been listening to Jake Asman's YouTube stuff and his and most of the media guys he has on are all in accordance with the whole "AR can win us a Super Bowl, unlike anyone else" I started out all in on the "I want Derek Carr for 2023", then I started getting caught up in the idea of a AR chance at immortality. But I'm coming back around to the idea of having a guy who will stay healthy and (historically) throw 25 TDs for us with only  half as many interceptions. Imagine if we'd fielded a QB with these "off-year" numbers in 2022 instead of Zach Wilson't pathetic 1688 yard  6TD and 7 INT 36.4 QB Rating what the Jets could have done.

image.jpeg

It's tough to look at stats without context. Do the stats look good because the player is good, or do the stats look good because the team is behind and getting easy yards? It's almost like hanging your hat on "Most comebacks since 2014" - What does that actually tell you? That you have an elite QB that can lead his team back or is it because you have played poorly all game and NEED to come back. The top players in comebacks are Carr, Stafford & Cousins and not Manning, Rodgers, and Brady.

I think context is so important with having these discussions. For me Carr has put up these numbers under 4 different HCs, 5 different OCs, in 2 different cities. Give me the guy that has an axe to grind, that is why Carr is top of my list. I just don't think he is atop the Jets list unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Favre put us in the superbowl contender category. We were unlucky he got injured. He put the team he was on the next 2 years in the same category.

Any time you have the chance to put your team in that category you have to take it. There are no guarantees in sports except that you miss every shot you don't take. Well - that and Jets fans being terrified of cap hell.

National Hockey League Reaction GIF by NHL

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Why would Favre 2.0 be a bad thing?

Because he left us high & dry because he wanted payback against the Packers. I would have loved to have him back but like Rodgers, he has an overinflated ego!

If Rodgers comes to the Jets and focuses on winning and being a leader, then I’m all in! 

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Because he left us high & dry because he wanted payback against the Packers. I would have loved to have him back but like Rodgers, he has an overinflated ego!

If Rodgers comes to the Jets and focuses on winning and being a leader, then I’m all in! 

You want a QB who is motivated, I agree with that sentiment. If money is the only factor for Rodgers then he won't be coming to NY, he'll make $11m more from Vegas on the same contract.

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No idea why people chose to ignore this, just weird. 

Probably because people like @#27TheDominator and @Bleedin Green have done everything in their power to downplay any success Eric Mangini had as coach of the Jets, while claiming Favre wasn't as good as he was those first 11 games.

Yet those 11 games remain the best QB play (before or since) the Jets have seen since, arguably, Namath.

@T0mShane

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Here's one difference between Favre and Rodgers that may not be getting enough attention - When Favre came to the Jets in 2008, he was coming off a good year (2007) in which he made the pro bowl, had a 70.8 QBR, averaged 7.8 yards per attempt, and helped Green Bay reach (and host) the NFL title game with a 13-3 record. 

Meanwhile, Rodgers is coming off the worst season of his 15 years as a tenured starter. (39.3 QBR, 6.8 yards per attempt). 

I think not enough people are considering the possibility that Rodgers isn't the same player he was just two seasons ago. The thing about stars in sports is that they tend lose "it" suddenly.

Buyer beware. 

• Upvote 1