Tweet about Carr & the Saints

Rhg1084

It's not Derek Carr but, if his brother is posting this, there has to be a fairly good chance that he has inside knowledge that the Saints are a good bet to get Derek.

He's not my preferred option (prefer Rodgers or Tannehill) but it would further limit the supply of veteran QBs.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

pretty sure we have our first domino falling

It doesn't make sense he'd agree to a trade/contract now when he'll be cut next week and can realize his full-market-value.

Carr is in the power position.  He'll be the first to market with every QB needy team bidding up his services shortly.    

The Saints aren't going anywhere and he's simply getting a jump on the process and doing his due diligence IMO.  Also, making other teams sweat and start reaching for their wallets.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

It doesn't make sense he'd agree to a trade/contract now when he'll be cut next week and can realize his full-market-value.

Carr is in the power position.  He'll be the first to market with every QB needy team bidding up his services shortly.    

The Saints aren't going anywhere and he's simply getting a jump on the process and doing his due diligence IMO.  Also, making other teams sweat and start reaching for their wallets.

and this is for sure a more ideal situation, but, either way, it does look like Carr/Saints is what’s next to come. Jets better hope they can reel in Rodgers.

Trying not to set myself up for disappointment but alas… that isn’t how being a Jets fan works.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

and this is for sure a more ideal situation, but, either way, it does look like Carr/Saints is what’s next to come. Jets better hope they can reel in Rodgers.

Trying not to set myself up for disappointment but alas… that isn’t how being a Jets fan works.

Connor Rodgers reported the other day ball is in Rodgers court, if he wants to stay GB will take him back.

I just dont see Rodgers leaving 

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Connor Rodgers reported the other day ball is in Rodgers court, if he wants to stay GB will take him back.

I just dont see Rodgers leaving 

I think it’s harder for me to see him coming to NY than it is for me to see him leaving in general. It feels like GB irked Rodgers, particularly when they started having conversations without him.

If LV can afford it, that’s where I think he goes.

• Upvote 1

This is all about Carr and his agent getting a feel for the contract that's out there for him if he hits FA. If they don't think it'll compare to the one he currently has then I think he'll accept a trade and keep the current contract and look to renegotiate next offseason. 

• Upvote 2

Carr knows that most of the people who view him as a $35 million a year QB are on this board, rather then sitting in the front offices of NFL teams.

It was always a potential that Carr would take the $70 million he's due over the next two years on his current contract ($40 mullion guaranteed) over hitting FA and finding out that most teams would only pay him $25 million a year.

Sure, he'll rework the structure of the deal with NO to help them out on the cap, but he's going to end up with $70 million over two years, one way or the other.

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch Rodgers in a Jets uniform.  He's overpriced in terms of trade compensation and his salary is ridiculous.  Let him go somewhere else. I'd rather go with White at $5-10 million per and build the OL and rest of the team.  There will be other QB options next offseason.  Rodgers will kill the roster.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than watch Rodgers in a Jets uniform.  He's overpriced in terms of trade compensation and his salary is ridiculous.  Let him go somewhere else. I'd rather go with White at $5-10 per and build the OL and rest of the team.  Their will be other QB options next offseason.  Rodgers will kill the roster.  

Can't agree there, with advance planning of throwing away a whole football season to retool for the year after (for which where there's still no plan in place at QB, other than the blind hope that something good/great will materialize).

On offense they need a center and a QB, and some OT depth. On D they have a couple FA LBs & at FS but teams aren't going to be opening up Fort Knox for any of them. All 3 are very re-signable if they like, plus there's also a draft coming up.

A year later what happens if Sauce and/or Garrett Wilson go on IR early and that's the season we waited for by throwing away the 2023 season before it?

You grab a bull by the horns. If you half-ass it by cupping his balls from behind you're going to get kicked in the face. (I just made that up. Could you tell?)

Anyway this roster isn't nearly bad enough to throw it away for Mike White's ~5 starts leading to twice that many from Wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Can't agree there, with advance planning of throwing away a whole football season to retool for the year after (for which where there's still no plan in place at QB, other than the blind hope that something good/great will materialize).

On offense they need a center and a QB, and some OT depth. On D they have a couple FA LBs & at FS but teams aren't going to be opening up Fort Knox for any of them. All 3 are very re-signable if they like, plus there's also a draft coming up.

A year later what happens if Sauce and/or Garrett Wilson go on IR early and that's the season we waited for by throwing away the 2023 season before it?

You grab a bull by the horns. If you half-ass it by cupping his balls from behind you're going to get kicked in the face. (I just made that up. Could you tell?)

Anyway this roster isn't nearly bad enough to throw it away for Mike White's ~5 starts leading to twice that many from Wilson.

You and I have different views on what a lost 2023 looks like. I think trading for Rodgers will result in a disaster in 2023 and the cost of the trade and his bloated contract will ripple through for another 2-3 years.  He's just an albatross at this point of his career. He's a ridiculously overpaid declining old QB who rubs everyone the wrong way and doesn't seem to give a damn any more.  I would not be shocked if Rodgers is completely ineffective in 2023 or is injured - or both.  And then the Jets are without a QB, without some draft picks, will have passed on some free agents to pay him that absurd $60 million salary, and will likely have cut some valuable role players to create the space needed to fit him under the cap.  

The situation the Jets find themselves in is what happens when the owner and fans get too impatient.  I would rather have Lafleur here as OC and see if he learns from his mistakes than to have an apparently incompetent Hackett off last season's fiasco in Denver.  Seeing what happens when a coach is fired is a true indication of his value and talent.  Lafleur was signed about 10 minutes after the Jets let him go by one of the great NFL offensive minds (McVay).  Hackett was not getting a coaching job if the Jets didn't sign him. 

Now Saleh and Douglas are trying to keep their jobs based on 2023. That one year mentality is not what is best for the Jets. This is an improving roster that is not a 39 year old fading ass of a QB away from a title.  Keep building the roster and play with another veteran. The Jets can win 9-10 games next season with  or without Rodgers.  Why pay the price it will take to bring him here when you can get the same results with someone for 1/3 of the price and no lost draft picks?

13 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You and I have different views on what a lost 2023 looks like. I think trading for Rodgers will result in a disaster in 2023 and the cost of the trade and his bloated contract will ripple through for another 2-3 years.  He's just an albatross at this point of his career. He's a ridiculously overpaid declining old QB who rubs everyone the wrong way and doesn't seem to give a damn any more.  I would not be shocked if Rodgers is completely ineffective in 2023 or is injured - or both.  And then the Jets are without a QB, without some draft picks, will have passed on some free agents to pay him that absurd $60 million salary, and will likely have cut some valuable role players to create the space needed to fit him under the cap.  

The situation the Jets find themselves in is what happens when the owner and fans get too impatient.  I would rather have Lafleur here as OC and see if he learns from his mistakes than to have an apparently incompetent Hackett off last season's fiasco in Denver.  Seeing what happens when a coach is fired is a true indication of his value and talent.  Lafleur was signed about 10 minutes after the Jets let him go by one of the great NFL offensive minds (McVay).  Hackett was not getting a coaching job if the Jets didn't sign him. 

Now Saleh and Douglas are trying to keep their jobs based on 2023. That one year mentality is not what is best for the Jets. This is an improving roster that is not a 39 year old fading ass of a QB away from a title.  Keep building the roster and play with another veteran. The Jets can win 9-10 games next season with  or without Rodgers.  Why pay the price it will take to bring him here when you can get the same results with someone for 1/3 of the price and no lost draft picks?

I agree with everything you wrote except for keeping Lafleur  but, if they do sign Garoppolo maybe they should have kept him.

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

I've been saying all along he is going to be well paid no matter what and not EVERY singe player is about max value.  Carr came across as being that type that if you want him you court him and trade for him, if he likes you he will waive and you are set.