Goodell: Officiating Has Never Been Better

2 hours ago, faba said:

You expect him to say the refs stink.

Actually, a good commissioner would do just that (in a polite/constructive way) - “we aren’t where we want to be in terms of getting calls right and we are doing everything we can to get better”

Lying and/or being in denial helps no one 

• Upvote 2

It’s certainly not better.

But I don’t think it is worse either.  The cameras being everywhere, HD, frame by frame, etc. just make it clearer when they get something wrong.

This sport just has so many types of penalties that must be called with ginormous guys in a scrum, and the perimeter players moving at light speed.

Tough job…

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Kinda sad but Bettman might be the best of all the commissioners and he is awful. 

Bettman has been great for the guys who pay him, that being the owners.  To every one else he is just someone that tries to take advantage of you, talks down to you and refuses to EVER admit he or anyone else with the nhl is wrong.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bettman has been great for the guys who pay him, that being the owners.  To every one else he is just someone that tries to take advantage of you, talks down to you and refuses to EVER admit he or anyone else with the nhl is wrong.

I think the reality is the owners in ALL the major sports are making buckets upon buckets of money.

The NHL though might be the only sport that has actually improved over the past 15-20 years. I know some people out there loved the brawling "Slapshot" fights of the 70's 80's and 90's but the game right now is probably about as good as I have seen it in a really long time.

MLB is going to start tinkering with rules, banning the shift, larger bases, limited number of pickoff throws, pitch clock, Out of those 4 the pitch clock is the only one I like.

NBA has become nothing more that a 3 point shooting contest.

NFL. A complete joke now with the rules protecting QB's and WR's

Also when has Goodell ever admitted that he was wrong ? Maybe the PI reviews ?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The current problem is not 'officiating' imo. There's too many rules that try to account for every single situation. They need to simplify the rulebook to a great degree. There doesn't need to be the crazy level of minutia to a 'catch'. This idea that the refs need to conclusively identify exactly what point a player had full control and kept control while having both feet in-bounds and chewing bubble gum makes it impossible to have any sort of consistency. 

They could make officiating a lot better by loosening up the rules. There's many ways a 'catch' could be defined in a few sentences and let the refs look for this reduced amount. Same thing with holding.. interference.. on and on.

This need for the insane level of complexity in the NFL rulebook is the heart of the problem. 

Yes, the NFL has completely lost sight of common sense when it comes to what a catch is. It's baffling. 

I do think the pass interference and roughing the passer rules have been poorly interpreted/officiated for years, however. 

12 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have no doubt Goodell truly believes officiating has never been better at doing exactly what they are continually taught to do.

this has been said many times in this thread but it's totally true

when whoever it was took the game of rugby and changed the rules to allow the forward pass and blocking, it required this obscure and complicated set of rules to make sense 

We take it for granted because we grew up with it but try explaining american football to someone who's never seen it before it's like explaining calculus

end result we watch a game where certain penalties (holding, offensive and defensive) can be called on any given play, at the discretion of the ref.

Sometimes I wonder if even a computer super AI Ref could call these things fair. What does a game with every call perfect even look like? Is it 80 flags per game on 120 offensive plays? 

From Goodell's perspective the Refs are doing their job well - keeping the games tight and the prime time blowouts minimal. And the TV ratings are higher than ever 

but the game is what it is: obtuse by nature 

the "Best" refs in some sense are the ones that let everything go