Goodell: Officiating Has Never Been Better

History may never see a bigger bought and paid for knuckle licker than Goodell.  Only a fool would ever expect anything honest or judicious from his hole. 

Not to say that he is dishonest as an individual in general, but he will eagerly do the bidding of his masters in exchange for his wages. 

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

Sure, Roger.  This took me all of 1 minute to find.  The only thing it's better at is giving away free yards and plays to the offense to pump up scoring (although #2 is actually a no-call on the defense).

Just to play devil's advocate.....

....now do Sauce Gardner highlights....

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Flags for no good reason along with long reviews break up the momentum and stop play allowing for more add revenue.   From the owners and Goodalls prosepective he's correct. 

Some slightly different takes on this but it's bad either way:

Big question #1: How many ads run during an NFL game?

Quick answer: 100+ (63 minutes).

Break down of an average NFL game (% of total) according to the Wall Street Journal:
1) Players standing around – 1h 7m (35%)
2) Advertising – 1h 3m (33%)
3) Other – 0h 34m (18%)
4) Replays – 0h 17m (9%)
5) Actual playing time – 0h 11m (6%)

goldsberry-SUPER-BOWL-0131-1-2.png

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Some slightly different takes on this but it's bad either way:

Big question #1: How many ads run during an NFL game?

Quick answer: 100+ (63 minutes).

Break down of an average NFL game (% of total) according to the Wall Street Journal:
1) Players standing around – 1h 7m (35%)
2) Advertising – 1h 3m (33%)
3) Other – 0h 34m (18%)
4) Replays – 0h 17m (9%)
5) Actual playing time – 0h 11m (6%)

goldsberry-SUPER-BOWL-0131-1-2.png

The average cost of a minute of advertising on a regular season game is roughly 500K.   The math is crazy.  

16 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Actually, a good commissioner would do just that (in a polite/constructive way) - “we aren’t where we want to be in terms of getting calls right and we are doing everything we can to get better”

Lying and/or being in denial helps no one 

He did the same sh*t with concussions and still does.

Sad part is it doesn't really matter what he does.  NFL still continues to print money.  He could announce he murdered 3 people and probably would still get his contract extended as long as his victims were no one Robert Kraft liked.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The refs just spoiled a great game…

Third and eight the slackest call of the game. Wow.

Why would a ref do it.It's a power, ego move.Just to do it.

Wow that was the worst ending I've ever seen.You're going to have to bring replay at least in the playoffs Because of this ref

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It was not that bad of a call, it is a call that has been make all year, just magnified by the timing. 

The DB has to be accountable too, don't be grabby at the critical time.

There have been far far far worse calls and non calls. (See the New Orleans ram non pi call)

Exact opposite is true They have not been calling that all year As a matter of fact they've been very slack on that holding this year.

Yes the timing does magnify it.Especially since they didn't call it the full game.

Sympathy for Mahomes and Reed I understand

2 minutes ago, Corn said:

Exact opposite is true They have not been calling that all year As a matter of fact they've been very slack on that holding this year.

Yes the timing does magnify it.Especially since they didn't call it the full game.

I've seen defensive holding in the secondary called a lot, if you are a grabby player and get away with it 10 times a game does not mean you will get away with it the 11th time.

4 minutes ago, Corn said:

Sauce has done 10x worse w/o a call.  Bad call but not a game changer IMHO.  Chiefs were already in FG range but I suppose you could argue the point that Eagles would had more time on the clock w/o that call.  Crappy event in an otherwise pretty damn good game.  Still glad the Eagles lost :)   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Corn said:

Penalty Total Yds Pen/G Yds/G
Offensive Holding 581 5579 1.76 16.91
False Start 578 2843 1.75 8.62
Defensive Holding 224 1134 .68 3.44
Defensive Pass Interference 223 3839 .68 11.63
Delay of Game 159 790 .48 2.39
Defensive Offside 139 635 .42 1.92

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've seen defensive holding in the secondary called a lot, if you are a grabby player and get away with it 10 times a game does not mean you will get away with it the 11th time.

I believe this year they called it less.

You would call it at least consistent with the rest of the game  and its common practice that you do not call penalties unless they are blatant such as the end of superbowl.Not that big of a deal who wins to me Just wanted good game.

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And that’s the problem with officiating, in a nutshell. There is zero consistency - you never know what they are gonna do - the standard varies play to play and game to game for three basic types of calls:

1) was it a catch?

2) defensive holding/illegal contact/PI

3) roughing the passer 

those three categories of calls are a total crapshoot