Would We Take This For The Next2-3 Years?

11 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Yeah I still think Zach will be the Jets QB of the future but not next season.

When the number 2 overall pick gets demoted to the practice squad in his 2nd year, I would say his future is close to an obese person walking on thin ice.

2 hours ago, undertow said:

That's really the debate imo do you want to make a 3-5 year commitment to Carr or would you rather sign Jimmy G or Tannehill two QBs that will get you to the same place and most likely have outs after one year and reevaluate the position in 2024....either way I'm not gonna lose my mind if we lose out on Carr and end up with a stop gap like most of the fanbase none of these guys are winning playoff road games in KC, Cincy, or Buffalo

I don't think Garoppolo gets the team to the same place. He's far less likely to survive a season than the other two. If the team signs him, then they need a competent back up plus ZW (because his contract is guaranteed) and another QB the team expects to be the future of the job. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't think Garoppolo gets the team to the same place. He's far less likely to survive a season than the other two. If the team signs him, then they need a competent back up plus ZW (because his contract is guaranteed) and another QB the team expects to be the future of the job. 

You would have to pair Jimmy G or Tannehill with a good back up like White or Brissett and hope those guys are healthy for the playoffs but I think those combos get you a wild card birth.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Cause the cheeseburger will fell good in the moment but will ultimately kill you.

If you are starving to death like we are qb wise it will be enough to help ya back on your feet. You’ll faint against before long by just eating the cheese sandwich 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think the jets plan is

A - Rodgers

B - Garapollo

C - Tannehill

And I'd have Tannehill ahead of some of the other shleps people are bringing up

I agree with the players and the order, the team views them. I don’t see them going after Carr, he’s not a bridge guy.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

there's going to be a point 6 months from now when the "Aaron Rodgers watch" threads will be considered both sad and hilarious 

I dunno I'm thinking all the Derek Carr ball washing is gonna age as well as great game manager Zach Wilson will.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, section314 said:

It’s Ryan Tannehill, and I would be more than OK with it.

Just to be clear Ryan Tannehill has a 36.6 mil cap hit this year and trading him leaves the Titans with 20 mil dead 

and replacing Tannehill with anyone but Lamar or Rodgers is a lateral move for the Titans 

I get why the Jets would want Ryan Tannehill. But why would the Titans want to trade him? To start the Malik Willis era? 

20 hours ago, section314 said:

Yr.   Yds.     TD.  INT.     Rating.      PCT

22.  2536.    13.    6.     95.6.         65.2

21.    3734.    21.   14.      89.6.       67.2

20.    3819.    33.    7.     106.5.      65.5

19.     2742.    22.    6.    117.5.       70.3

34 years old Would come way cheaper as far as $ and draft compensation that all the names talked about daily here. Is 2-3 in the playoffs, 754 yards, 7td 5Int 85.2 rating. 

no thx

Now that they have finally built a team that can make the playoffs, with a decent QB, they should follow a plan that gets them there year after year.  Two years at $55MM, that significantly reduces draft capital and leaves them with $60MM of dead cap is just about the dumbest thing they can do.

I think they need a run stuffing DT badly, to replace Whitehead who doesn't wrap up big backs, 2 linebackers and to restructure or replace Mosley.  That is what they need to do to the defense, which is the strength of the team.  

Any QB will struggle behind that O-line.  Health will help but they need 1-2 more pieces or their high priced QB will be on injured reserve or struggle mightily under constant pressure.  They will need another quality receiver opposite Garrett Wilson.

That means they are 8 pieces away from a serious run and starting from $20MM over the cap and have to re-sign Quinnen .  There is no way to get there with those numbers.  Adding additional hurdles like losing significant draft capital and facing $60MM in dead cap in 2 years is a recipe for another teardown and long rebuild.

There are several QB's that can get this team into the playoffs, who complete 65% of their passes and throw far more TD's than interceptions.  The #5 defense is a tweak or two away from elite.  The offense would be dangerous if they get one of those more affordable options at QB, make the playoffs, manage the cap and continue to draft well.  They are 2 drafts away from a potentially elite team.  That means we could be a more serios contender in 2024 if we go for the more affordable next tier than if we pull a one and done with Aaron Rodgers.  We tried that with Brett Favre and it was a disaster.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:52 PM, section314 said:

Yr.   Yds.     TD.  INT.     Rating.      PCT

22.  2536.    13.    6.     95.6.         65.2

21.    3734.    21.   14.      89.6.       67.2

20.    3819.    33.    7.     106.5.      65.5

19.     2742.    22.    6.    117.5.       70.3

34 years old Would come way cheaper as far as $ and draft compensation that all the names talked about daily here. Is 2-3 in the playoffs, 754 yards, 7td 5Int 85.2 rating. 

He needs an absolutely dominate run game, and strong o-line.  The jets may or may not have those next year.