Great Article on the Montana and support for the argument that Brady is NOT the GOAT.

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Great  article in today's ESPN  that explains how the great QBs from other eras, but particularly Montana, played 10 years less than Brady because they got the crap beaten out of them.  Brady never had to deal with getting physically punished like Montana.  It's a long read, but worth it.  Montana was the GOAT IMO and this article provides some explanation as to why and why Brady was not better, but just played a longer injury free career.

There's no question that Montana played in the much tougher era.  He had his back broken in the NFC CG in 1990.  Brady went through his career mostly major injury free and, toward the 2nd half of his career, the refs REALLY had his back.

• Upvote 4

Great  article in today's ESPN  that explains how the great QBs from other eras, but particularly Montana, played 10 years less than Brady because they got the crap beaten out of them.  Brady never had to deal with getting physically punished like Montana.  It's a long read, but worth it.  Montana was the GOAT IMO and this article provides some explanation as to why and why Brady was not better, but just played a longer injury free career.

Love love love Joe Cool .. my favorite non jet growing up .. considered him the best forever ... Until about 6 years ago..

Brady is the goat and it's not that close ... JM had Rice and Taylor most of his career. Godlike talent ... But second best.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 2

As dislikable as Brady was, he is the GOAT. Montana will always be one of the best, though. Tom Brady's record of 7 rings will likely never be broken by another starting QB. How many super bowls you won is not a type of stat that changes based on the era you played in. So while Montana will always have a case, he is not the goat. He had Jerry Rice and John Taylor for half of his career as well, along with more dominant defenses than Brady had in terms of league rankings. Will always respect Montana's career

• Upvote 2

Montana was the man but Brady had like two Montana careers in one. The longevity of his greatness is hard to compete with. Just so many crazy stats/accomplishments over such a long period of time. He was a top 5 NFL QB for over two decades, and likely number 1 in a good number of those years.  

Montana played in a much tougher era, so I respect arguments for him, as well. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Biggest thing is, you can't compare QBs from different eras. The rule changes, the game changes.

How do you realistically compare Johnny U to Joe Cool, to Brady?  It can't be done.

In their absolute prime, I'd take Montana but I still think Brady is the GOAT and he had the best career ever (and he really maximized his abilities with the healthy eating and just pure devotion to the sport).  Imo, these 2 are in the same tier and there's nobody else with them. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Brady had the greatest career ever.

He’s not the greatest QB ever.

Both are absolutely true.

Most successful QB..with the greatest career…but, not the best QB of all-time.
Mind you…if I had a choice ..I’d take the former.

Belichick was very wise to provide him a nearly impenetrable OL for nearly his entire career.  Brady was in a rocking chair in the pocket most of the time..often just standing still…surveying the field with ease. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Ummmm Brady is not the Greatest but he is Outstanding but I am tired of the silly recency bias.  

But there are many reasons why Brady while Great is not the Greatest!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

You’re all wrong 

it’s Sammy Baugh 

I know that you are joking, but Slinging Sammy Baugh is one of the greatest all around football players and would have been great in any era.

While Baugh may not have been as good as Brady as a pure QB, he was a better all around football player and it isn’t even close!

• Upvote 2

Montana didn't play in a "tougher" era, he played in a more physical era.

He played in an era where parity was non existent and it was much easier to win a Championship than it is now. That's why you had dynasties in those eras and you don't see that anymore in the 2000's. You can't compare different generations but you can look at how they compared against their contemporaries. 

80's/90's

Montana: 4 SB appearances and 4 wins

Aikman: 3 SB appearances and 3 wins

Elway: 5 SB appearances and 2 wins

2000's

Brady: 10 SB appearances and 7 wins

Roethlisberger: 4 SB appearances and 2 wins

P. Manning: 4 SB appearances and 2 wins

E. Manning: 2 SB appearances and 2 wins

A really good argument can be made that Elway was the best QB of that 80's/90's generation. Montana won more SB's, Elway got there more often.

There is no argument who the best QB of the 2000's has been from a winning or statistical point of view. Brady has 6 more SB appearances and 5 more wins than any of his contemporaries. Not to mention that Brady had as many SB wins in his first 13 years that Montana had in his 13 year career. 

I don't think there is really a debate.

11 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Bless you brother, you make me very happy! 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Hex said:

As dislikable as Brady was, he is the GOAT. Montana will always be one of the best, though. Tom Brady's record of 7 rings will likely never be broken by another starting QB. How many super bowls you won is not a type of stat that changes based on the era you played in. So while Montana will always have a case, he is not the goat. He had Jerry Rice and John Taylor for half of his career as well, along with more dominant defenses than Brady had in terms of league rankings. Will always respect Montana's career

Yes but it might be changes by playing an organization with systematic cheating. No? 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Greg555 said:

Most successful QB..with the greatest career…but, not the best QB of all-time.
Mind you…if I had a choice ..I’d take the former.

Belichick was very wise to provide him a nearly impenetrable OL for nearly his entire career.  Brady was in a rocking chair in the pocket most of the time..often just standing still…surveying the field with ease. 

Zach Wilson could be Tom Brady with a line that’s allowed to hold and give him forever. It’s why he got drafted second overall, that’s exactly what he had in Utah, 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Love love love Joe Cool .. my favorite non jet growing up .. considered him the best forever ... Until about 6 years ago..

Brady is the goat and it's not that close ... JM had Rice and Taylor most of his career. Godlike talent ... But second best.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Brady cheated, his coaching staff and team cheated, he played with one of the best defensive coaches ever, had great teams around him and the refs always had his back. Montana is the best QB ever. His SB record is by far the best ever. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Completely agree. It wasn't just the QB's getting beat up either. DB's used to be able to be more physical w/the WRs down field without a DPI every other play. Throwing the ball over the middle of the field was something that had to be done much more carefully or your WR would get murdered by defenders and there was no flag for "hitting a defenseless receiver".

It was a different game. Brady did great playing in the era he did, but it was a much easier environment.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Yeah the game is different and QBs can avoid ass-kickings and extend their careers, but those rules apply to ALL of the QBs, not just Brady. So, he is still the GOAT because his results championship-wise blow all of his competitors out of the water. I mean he made the SB in almost half of the seasons he was the starting QB.  And Montana played 15 seasons and he won all 4 SBs he made. In Brady's first 15 seasons he also won 4 SBs and made it to 6 of them. 

Brady is unquestionably the GOAT NFL QB.

Montana is up there, surely.  But I don't feel any need to artificially get someone ahead of Brady.

You can hate him (Brady, as a despised rival, and likely cheater/HGH abuser/etc.) and still respect what he accomplished, something no one is even remotely close, and likely never will be.

And no, the usual Montana argument of "He's 4-0 in SB, Brady is 'only' 6-3 in SB's, so Montana is better because undefeated beats !" is just dumb.

Montana consistently had legit stars supporting him, Brady rarely did, and Brady led his team to an amazing 9 Super Bowls, a feat of quality and longevity that likely will never be equaled.  As someone else noted, Brady effectively doubled Montana's career.

11 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Brady had the greatest career ever.

He’s not the greatest QB ever.

Both are absolutely true.

Bingo.

Define what you are using as criteria.  Winningest?  Greatest career?  Best stats?  Most physically gifted?  Best at coming back from 28-3 in the Superbowl?

You can have several names at the top of the lists.  Just define and make a good argument.

12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I've said this countless times - Brady would not have lasted in Namath's NFL let alone Montana's. If you threw the ball away like he has all of his career he would have been made fun of and probably benched. If he stayed in the pocket he would have been wrecked by what we call a 'late hit' today. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

You’re all wrong 

it’s Sammy Baugh 

He had the greatest season ever in the history of the NFL.

League leader.   Passing Yards.   Punt Average.   Interceptions.   Not interceptions thrown, he led the league in interceptions.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Bingo.

Define what you are using as criteria.  Winningest?  Greatest career?  Best stats?  Most physically gifted?  Best at coming back from 28-3 in the Superbowl?

You can have several names at the top of the lists.  Just define and make a good argument.

Stats vary so much as the game and rules change.

Winningest?   Otto Graham, played 10 seasons, went to 10 championship games, won 7.   Again, totally different era, not even the same game.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I've said this countless times - Brady would not have lasted in Namath's NFL let alone Montana's. If you threw the ball away like he has all of his career he would have been made fun of and probably benched. If he stayed in the pocket he would have been wrecked by what we call a 'late hit' today. 

No QB lasted back then, that's why they were all done early.

11 hours ago, Jets Things said:

Did the article mention any cheating on Montana's part? 

When the Pats were threatening the 72 dolphins undefeated season, Don Shula said the Pats team would be treated like Barry Bonds setting the home run record

impressive but illegal 

a bunch of folks were talking about Brady retirement i brought up the fact that he's a multiple times caught cheater and they looked at me like I was crazy

side note that terrible 80 for Brady movie? produced by Tom Brady.