What are your favorite beer, spirits, or wine do you like to drink?

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You set yourself up with that one, but I'm gonna let it go because you're my favorite ?

Have you tried it (asking seriously, no malice here).  

Did you find it to be overly sweet?  

If so, you could substitute in a more bitter type of Amaro.  They're all bitter to some degree, and there are many different brands out there (not so many stateside), but Averna is on the sweeter side.  A more bitter version may be more to some folks taste, I could see that.

27 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

It's a unique experience but not really my thing. Boston Beer Company says it's comparable to cognac which is maybe a little ambitious. It's too sweet for my preferences and for $200 I can find a lot of beer or spirits I'd rather drink. It's one of those things that is fun to say you've had it and split a bottle with some friends if you can find one. I know a lot of beer people but I don't know a lot of people who hunt this more than once or twice--and I know people who used to follow beer delivery trucks around town to buy limited releases.

These days there are a lot of boozy and sweet craft beers which makes Utopias less of a unique experience. There are some interesting barrel aged barleywines out there that can be had for $40 or less that are closer in taste than the price difference suggests. 

Greatly appreciate the review. Really telling that good beer people don't make this a must have with each release.  I'm expecting it to become available this year, so if I can find it, I'm in.  Check it off my list if you will.  I don't consider myself to have a master pallet, but I do enjoy trying different brews.  This one has been on my mind for a few years now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Have you tried it (asking seriously, no malice here).  

Did you find it to be overly sweet?  

If so, you could substitute in a more bitter type of Amaro.  They're all bitter to some degree, and there are many different brands out there (not so many stateside), but Averna is on the sweeter side.  A more bitter version may be more to some folks taste, I could see that.

All joking aside, no, but I will definitely give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. It does need a real name though. Warfishtini?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

All joking aside, no, but I will definitely give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. It does need a real name though. Warfishtini?

I was thinking an "Averonno".

Because the Bourbon really is interchangeable frankly, to the imbibers taste, the name would be based on the two key ingredients.

10 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I don't drink much anymore (if i drank like I did before, I'd probably be dead) but I still enjoy a libation at times.

If it's beer, which is not frequent, it's a Weihenstephaner.

For spirits, in the winter, it's either Johnnie Black or a Bombay Sapphire martini or maybe some Japanese Suntory whiskey. In the summer, it's usually either Sapphire and tonic or Tito's and tonic.I could also go for a Gimlet or a Negroni. Very refreshing.

Bombay Sapphire/tonic/limes on the rocks in rocks glass definitely my go to for summer

Balvenie is go to for all year

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:59 AM, Bungaman said:

I've become a cheap date in my latter years.

Beer: Switchback Ale, blue cans.

Wine: the higher end of the boxed Pinot Grigio for white, Zins or Merlots for red. I used to love red Pomerols from France - they have outstripped my budget.

Spirit: never developed a taste for hard booze, but when I do, it's Plomari Ouzo (hard to find - most of the other brands are cleaning liquids,) and when in Greece, any of the local brandies, which tend to be surprisingly good, or local Raki, which is like lighter fluid/insecticide, but somehow tasty. Sort of a Greek vodka, lacking a better comparison.

The raki I had in Crete last summer was great everywhere I went.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

No this is the way you ******* losers comes in flavors too

15487.jpg

For 50 years - the paper bag wine of choice among winos outside the Newark Lackawanna station !

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2023 at 7:33 AM, Jets Things said:

I'm a craft beer/IPA snob. Tree House, Root & Branch, Other Half, Finback, Trillium, Equalibrium, Foam and others are superior brewers. 

Also a huge gin guy. 

Trillium started in a hole in the wall behind my office several jobs back. They make excellent beers. Tree House is overrated, in my opinion, and all of their beer has too boozy an aftertaste to check the right boxes on taste for me.

I drink 12-20 Miller Lites if I’m doing yard work. I drink good IPA’s from Night Shift, Trillium and Fiddlehead socially. I drink bourbon and scotch neat on special occasions. 

Honestly, I try not to drink more than 1-2 times a month. It usually leads to unhealthy eating and I’ve got to take care of this chiseled marble set of abs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I haven’t really been drinking much. Combination of nothing on hand, money, and desire. I’d like to pick up a nice whiskey or rum just to sip on sometime but not enough to actually go out and get a bottle know what I mean? Maybe I’ll pick something up for my birthday in a few months that’s usually when I do it anyway.

• Upvote 3

I was generally a beer drinker for years. Guinness was my usual go-to, and I enjoy wine and the occasional mixed drink... but I've found that the last couple of years, I feel like crap while drinking and even 3-4 drinks gives me a ridiculously bad hangover. And, I kind of stopped enjoying having drinks and was drinking out of either a feeling of obligation or (especially when my dad was sick and them passed) to just get hammered. 

Aside from here and there (I drank quite a bit at the Chargers game), I don't really drink much anymore, and when I do, I find that I regret it.

Getting older is weird.

• Upvote 4

On 2/9/2023 at 7:33 AM, Jets Things said:

I'm a craft beer/IPA snob. Tree House, Root & Branch, Other Half, Finback, Trillium, Equalibrium, Foam and others are superior brewers. 

Also a huge gin guy. 

I stopped at Tree House's main brewery last year, really awesome spot. Came home with a huge case of their stuff.

Other Half has been distributing way further south the last year and it's been pretty great being able to buy them in NJ.  

I'm my 20's and 30's I drank bourbon. In my 40's I discovered scotch and never went back. I also love a good gin martini.

For beer, I love pretty much everything except domestic light beers and mass produced trash.